ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bourbon help

Everything in the sazerac portfolio is a bit difficult to find in NC/SC right now unless you're in a major market, and even then some labels aren't easy. Blantons was tough for a while, and that's my go to. Weller has been tough to find for a little while. I like Bulleit 10 year for the price. I like George T. Stagg from the Buffalo Trace group and it's been a bit easier to find.

Ridgemont Reserve is pretty good also. I think it's smoother than Woodford and $5 less. $35-$40 per 750 ml.

Everything in the sazerac portfolio is a bit difficult to find in NC/SC right now unless you're in a major market, and even then some labels aren't easy. Blantons was tough for a while, and that's my go to. Weller has been tough to find for a little while. I like Bulleit 10 year for the price. I like George T. Stagg from the Buffalo Trace group and it's been a bit easier to find.
No kidding! I've been looking everywhere for Sazerac Rye, no dice. If BevMo out here doesn't stock it, I probably need to order it online. Speaking of which, why is it just about every Rye and Bourbon in existence is available for purchase at amazon.co.uk, but not amazon.com?

I bought a mold that makes the big ice spheres. One of those in a glass is perfect. And makes you feel all sophisticated while you sip your bourbon.

Now this guy knows what he's talking about. Buy the mold, then pour some Basil Hayden. You may never drink bourbon any other way again

My dad subsisted for many years on Jim Beam and water. No ice. I seriously don't know how. I used to drink Scotch. Mostly the better blends and the occasional single malt. I've pretty much stopped drinking liquor and spirits altogether.

Generally, If you're spending less than $50 on bourbon, be sure to have a mixer on hand.

Does anyone like the Jefferson's line? Bib and Tucker is one I wanna try next. Basil H is an awesome one, tho. Admittedly, I'm more of a premium rum sipper. I love the Kirk & Sweeny 18 year rum.

kirk-and-sweeney-18-year-old-dominican-rum__92833.1436277211.1280.1280.jpg

th
Try this Old John Taylor small batch if you can find it. As many other have mentioned, for the price point it is hard to beat Evan Williams single barrel.

Generally, If you're spending less than $50 on bourbon, be sure to have a mixer on hand.

Does anyone like the Jefferson's line? Bib and Tucker is one I wanna try next. Basil H is an awesome one, tho. Admittedly, I'm more of a premium rum sipper. I love the Kirk & Sweeny 18 year rum.

kirk-and-sweeney-18-year-old-dominican-rum__92833.1436277211.1280.1280.jpg
Do you mean $50 a handle or a 750ml? I can give you a list of outstanding bourbons for less than $50 a 750ml. Of course it also depends on where you live. In South Carolina, liquor is damn near free.

Now this guy knows what he's talking about. Buy the mold, then pour some Basil Hayden. You may never drink bourbon any other way again
No matter what kind of ice you use, it is still ice. It will still melt. It will still water your bourbon down. To combat this I bought some Bourbon Rocks. They are small cube shaped stones that you put in the freezer. They get VERY cold and stay cold longer than ice. You put a few of these in your glass and pour the Bourbon over them. They chill the Bourbon nicely without watering it down at all.

I looked at the special items at Greens behind the counter. There is an $800 bottle of bourbon that I would love to taste, but I do like woodford, makers, 1792, etc when special company is around. When it is just me and wife, Evan Williams 1783 is just as good at half the price.

I'm not a standard Jack Daniels guy, but I had some Gentleman Jack not long ago and It was pretty good.

Reactions: stevestrat2
Actually that link is to a waiting list. #nobueno

But seriously, how can a second from bottom shelf, $25 bourbon be so hard to find?
It's widely know as the poor man's Pappy. The mash/barrels that don't make the cut for Pappy are used to make Weller. Whenever I see a bottle I buy it!!

Do you mean $50 a handle or a 750ml? I can give you a list of outstanding bourbons for less than $50 a 750ml. Of course it also depends on where you live. In South Carolina, liquor is damn near free.
Yeah, you can get some decent 750 sippers for less than $50 but that's the exception. I have a pretty decent collection of bourbons in my home bar but I find myself sipping aged rums and tequila platina more often than bourbon.

It’s been a few years. Where can you buy weller 12 in South Carolina

Best Bourbon made is Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. It is against the law in most states to mix this bourdon with anything other than ice.

Second this. I'm sipping on Woodford Double Oaked now. It's $55 a bottle, so not cheap but wow. This is what bourbon should taste like.

Reactions: rogue cock
BUffalo Trace hard to beat for $
Agree...my last 2 bottles was that but I went Wild with my recent purchase. I like it to though and some of my friends see that 101 and it keeps them on there 80 proof bottle.

Basil Hayden & High West are two of my favorites. I tried some Wyoming Whiskey when I was out there last year. That was pretty darn good.
Lately I've been on a Rye discovery which is not as sweet as Bourbon. Perfect for making Manhattan's

Wow, so many good bourbons, so little time. As far as bang for the buck, Henry McKenna 10 yr 100 proof, Russell Reserve 10 yr 90 proof, and Knob Creek 9 yr 120 proof are darn hard to beat.

Reactions: jonesz21
I sure as heck can't find it. If you see it, better get 2 or 3 bottles.
If you go to totalwine.com and search for it, the site will tell you any store in your area that has it in stock. I'm 3.5 hours west of Lexington, but that's the closest place to me in KY that has it in stock for 27.99 (Lexington Green). Any chance you're going to the game in a few weeks?

Confusion to me has been the complete reversal of Four Roses in my lifetime. As a teenager 50-years ago Four Roses was the 'rock gut' stuff peddled to 'us kids' in the basement for $5 pint ('bout 4X's what it could be bought for legally back then) to consume with our cokes at James Brown concerts - now it's considered a 'premium' brand. Go figure.
I don't know much about brown liquor ... I know after trying Booker it's very different than anything I've ever tasted before; it didn't seem to need anything, water, ice - anything. and was very satisfying to 'sip'. That quality alone makes it an excellent choice for social events ... I can't imagine anyone swilling Booker and embarrassing themselves or their wife.
Just drink it neat, you'll come off like a hero in a John Grisham or Patricia Cornwell novel.

Do you drink it at your house on the ICW?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT