ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bourbon help

For me it would be buffalo trace everyday.
Weekends would include blantons, Jefferson’s presidential, black maple hill.

Special occasions.
Pappy 12
Pappy 23
Black maple hill small batch limited edition

I don't partake in a lot of spirits- more a beer guy, but when I do-
Basil Hayden's (when I get my bonus check) , or Gentleman Jack.. I think both are about 80 proof. My go-to for years was Makers, but I now find it stronger than I like for drinking neat, which is what I prefer. My next door neighbor shared some Buffalo Trace with me a while back, which was stronger, but I thought it was real good. But, the ABC store i go to never knows if and when it will get more. And when they do, it's bought up immediately. I cant drink much bourbon though- too much bad alcoholic DNA in my family history. Gotta be careful!​

WT is garbage. WT 101, however, is outstanding at its price point, roughly $40 for a 1.75. And for cheap stuff, Evan Williams Bottled in Bond is damn near free and is an excellent mixer.

It's all about the fad my good man, it's all about the fad. Many years ago it was very faddish to drink WT but not so much anymore. I don't drink very much of any type of alcoholic beverage these days, but when I used to drink quite a lot, especially at football games, after two or three drinks it all tastes the same, to me anyway. LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaimcock
Not on the rocks but Basil Hayden is the best bourbon in an Old Fashion...but that’s my personal opinion. Goes down so damn smooth. The beauty of Bourbon is it never kicks you in the head the next morning. Maybe a little hazy but never painful.

I think the secrets out on Eagle Rare 10 year old but in is incredibly smooth and reasonably priced. The $30 bottle taste like a $80 bottle. It is indeed good stuff!

Best Bourbon made is Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. It is against the law in most states to mix this bourdon with anything other than ice.
I do love the double oak, have half a bottle,
Also Whistle Pig on special occasions
Elme T Lee is good (rare to find)

I also agree it should be consumed in a glass with a few ice cubes, or the jumbo cube/sphere where available. The high proof stuff usually needs a bit more ice.

Total Wine & More has WL Weller 12 year for $25.49 on their website. I knew that I bought some there.
Yep, if you want to drive to their store in KY, MO, or CA, and pray that it is still there when you arrive. They won't hold it and they won't ship it to SC.

Reactions: jonesz21
imo hard to beat Makers for a daily drinker, I like it on ice w lime wedge.

Also vote for:
Booker's
Jim Beam Black
Elijah 12
Woodford
anything from Buffalo Trace (includes Weller etc)

I did likewise until I found a great woman that became my wife 43 years ago.
Your're a lucky man Freddie. You need to hold on to her. If you're like me - and I sense that you are - there is a lot to tolerate for a woman:(. Iv'e been through 3 until I found one willing to tolerate me. It's been working well, for the last 3 years.

Your're a lucky man Freddie. You need to hold on to her. If you're like me - and I sense that you are - there is a lot to tolerate for a woman:(. Iv'e been through 3 until I found one willing to tolerate me. It's been working well, for the last 3 years.

Well, good for you. Just keep up the good work and you and your wife will be just fine.

Yep, if you want to drive to their store in KY, MO, or CA, and pray that it is still there when you arrive. They won't hold it and they won't ship it to SC.
I stumbled across Weller Special Reserve in a liquor store in Athens for $28 for a 1.75 and they had it in bulk. It was fantastic. Have never seen it, or any other Weller, anywhere since.

I do love the double oak, have half a bottle,
Also Whistle Pig on special occasions
Elme T Lee is good (rare to find)

I also agree it should be consumed in a glass with a few ice cubes, or the jumbo cube/sphere where available. The high proof stuff usually needs a bit more ice.
Finally tried the double oaked and, as much as I like the other Woodfords, it is my favorite. Thanks to you and others for the recommendation!

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
One easy way to get a bottle of your favorite higher priced or rated bourbon is to take an empty bottle of your favorite whatever and fill it with Evan Williams. All will be well and EW ain't the only one that is as good as the biggies.

Due to limited production Weller's can be hard to find. At my local store they don't put it up on the shelves. You have to ask for it, and they will go get for you, but no more than 2 bottles at a time.
So if you don't see it, try asking the store employee's if they're storing it in the back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT