ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Buying Tires

I always get mine at Sams. Usually get Michelin but you can get Goodrich cheaper. They are practically the same tire, both made by michelin.

Reactions: rogue cock
Please look at the manufacture date that should be on the side of the tire. You don't want tires that are more than two years old. A lot of the discount places may have older tires.

Sam's has the best prices I've seen on tires. I always buy Michelin and usually save $300.00 vs other distributors per 4 tires.

Like all things do your research, the internet is your friend

A lot of tire sales on internet, where you can compare the performance and price of the tire. You can buy them and have them shipped to the install tire center.

Reactions: yemacock
I always buy from Discount Tires. They will meet lower prices. Last two times they showed me that they were as low as Costco.

Last edited:
Costco. I shop while they rotate the tires, eat lunch there if it's taking longer. Works out well.

checked out Goodyear and they were expensive. Are chains like Discount Tire, Walmart, Pep Boys etc. cheaper than any other?
I Diamond in the Rough in Rock Hill , Muffler Masters on Cherry Road in RockHill. David Daniels is the owner 803-366-3127...most folks do not know they sell tires..

Sams had good prices but the Sams we used would never rotate tires on ones they installed just wanted us to buy new ones so we switched to Discount Tires and are very happy.

We have no Costco in Florence, but wish we had one

I always found Firestone to be very shady, especially to female customers by trying to manufacture a bunch of questionable charges at best and get more revenue.

Last edited:
I always get mine at Sams. Usually get Michelin but you can get Goodrich cheaper. They are practically the same tire, both made by michelin.
I've been running Goodrich on my Odyssey. They aren't cheap but they carry a higher tread life rating than the corresponding Michelin and cost a little left. Best of all, they run smooth.

Our last few sets have come from Discount Tire- I call around & get quotes but they are usually right there on price. Plus they replaced a blown tire for me a few years ago, no cost, no hassle. So I have been going there of late.

Reactions: funktavious
Discount Tire on Longtown Commons, if you are in Columbia (ask for Charlie or Ron). They are great people, with great employees, that will take care of you. Free rotations, checks, and plugs, and they even let me add the road hazard to a car I bought new in 2015, but obviously not the tires. Good for replacement down to practically bald too. Fast if not busy, and reasonably fast if they are.

Bf Goodrich was bought by Michelin 20 some years ago but they are cheaper for a reason and not made by Michelin

Discounttiredirect.com or tire rack.com online. Have them shipped directly to one of their installers or to your house if you have a preferred installer and can cart them around. I've done both many times.

Alternatively, Frank's Discount Tire on 378 near Lex Co hospital. Go see Bimbo. When I put tires on the wife's Traverse a few years back, I couldn't find a better deal online or local.

checked out Goodyear and they were expensive. Are chains like Discount Tire, Walmart, Pep Boys etc. cheaper than any other?

If you know anybody that works at Michelin,have them check out there discount website for tires..there about 50% less than full price..I just bought my brother 2 bfgoodrich tires 215-70-15 for $40 a piece..has 75,000 mile warranty..

Bought tires for my truck at Costco and was very pleased with the price. They will often run specials on their Michelins or Bridgestones.

Have also been pleased with the tires I've bought at Walmart over the years. Once, I found the tire I wanted on Walmart.com, but the local store did not have them in stock. I simply ordered them online and had them shipped to the store and went by and got them installed a few days later.

Like others have said though, take full advantage of the internet and shop around. In my experience, no one place _always_ has the best price, but any of them might have the best price on a particular tire at a particular time. So do your research.

I work for a tire company. Tires are not all the same. Go to Consumer Reports they do a great job of tire testing. Those guys are all long time tire engineers. Tirerack.com also does a great job with tire tests. Either you look into what tire is better or your dealer will sell you what they have the most inventory or which ever brand pays him the most.

As for dealers, tirerack.com will basically give you a really good price but you will need to ship them somewhere to get put on.

Discount is probably the most professional dealers. Great service

Tires are expensive, do not go cheap. Do not go with an off brand, they are not worth it. And please do not go cheap Chinese brand, those things do not pass safety standards. Trust me

Keep in mind, there are three companies that build tires in SC - Michelin, Continental and Bridgestone, the first two have corporate offices here. If you are inclined, the people that live here would like to continue to eat.

And never pay for Nitrogen, it is a waste of money

Discounttiredirect.com or tire rack.com online. Have them shipped directly to one of their installers or to your house if you have a preferred installer and can cart them around. I've done both many times.

Alternatively, Frank's Discount Tire on 378 near Lex Co hospital. Go see Bimbo. When I put tires on the wife's Traverse a few years back, I couldn't find a better deal online or local.

They have one on Bluff Rd, You should go in there and look at there Gamecock Mural wall. Good prices on Michelin tires . That's all I ever buy for my truck

I don't know where you live or work, but assume Rock Hill due to your user name. We have had great success and prices with a local independent tire/repair shop in Varnville/Hampton, SC named H&H Auto Service. They don't stock tires at all but can get them the next day by order and have great prices including mounting and balancing. We have bought 2 sets of Goodyear Integrity Tires for a Buick that were 175/70R/15 for $78 each 1st time then $84 each the second. Sometimes local business owners want your business and will do the necessary pricing to get it and I support that, plus, we didn't even price shop to him. On the other hand, we have had 2 bad experiences with much more expensive Michelin tires with belt separation and road noise when even the replacements did the same thing. This is a review of Goodyear Integrity tires: http://www.1010tires.com/tires/reviews/goodyear/integrity

Last edited:
I have been pleased with Kumho tires, but I don't buy them every time. I second the idea of doing your research on tirerack.com first no matter where you buy the tires.

Goodrich is made by Michelin. They are basically the same tire.. I worked at us1 for 28 years in production and know this for sure.

If you know anybody that works at Michelin,have them check out there discount website for tires..there about 50% less than full price..I just bought my brother 2 bfgoodrich tires 215-70-15 for $40 a piece..has 75,000 mile warranty..
My brother used to work for Continental and that was my way to buy. He retired at 40 so that's gone. I have Goodyear and am not impressed.

Some BFG tires are made in Michelin tire plants. All are made in plants owned and operated by Michelin.
Goodrich is made by Michelin. They are basically the same tire.. I worked at us1 for 28 years in production and know this for sure.
Some BFG tires are made in Michelin tire plants. All are made in plants owned and operated by Michelin.
Michelin does own Goodrich and although some may be made in Michelin plants, they are not the same tire. You get what you pay for. Dgillispee if you worked at us1 for 28 yrs you should know that.

Tires-easy.Com had the best price on the tires I wanted for my 20" wheels (firestone firehawk all-season) and will drop ship wherever you want them. I have bought from tirerack.Com many times in the past, but they often run out of stock on popular items and they don't have the best prices on many items they carry.

Michelin does own Goodrich and although some may be made in Michelin plants, they are not the same tire. You get what you pay for. Dgillispee if you worked at us1 for 28 yrs you should know that.
Yes. Michelin makes many different tires, some of which are branded BFG.

MTD makes about 5 brands of mowers. Believe me there is a difference between a mtd and a cub cadet. I have switched from bf Goodrich long train and Michelin LTX over the years. No comparison Michelin last way longer. I bought a new 4x4 Tacoma in 05 with Michelin LTX on it and still had some tread when I changed them at 82,000 miles. No lie!

Bush please backoff Dgillispee, you dont know his job there, its not like he was the president, here is some footage

6b9cf1bc2ed859a3b162ae2a379f3d57.gif

I work for us5 in Lexington..we make over 30,000 a day..I haven't heard of any of them being no other brand there but I'll ask when I go back to work in a few days..like another poster said I got some ltx's back in 2011 and they still got tread left..they will dry rot I think before I have to change them..best tire I've ever had..I personally don't like uniroyal didn't last long on wife's van a few years ago..

Please look at the manufacture date that should be on the side of the tire. You don't want tires that are more than two years old. A lot of the discount places may have older tires.
That makes sense. I've never looked at that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT