ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Charleston Street history question...

ShaneCocks

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2001
North Carolina
My dad was born in 1945 when his father served at the Coast Guard station. We have an old picture that shows their address as "Bailey Drive", but I do not see a Bailey Drive in downtown Charleston. Does anyone know if there ever was a road named Bailey Drive downtown and if so, the location. Were hoping to see where the old house may be..

Thanks for any help!

Reactions: Tiger71
Liberty Homes in North Charleston ? My dad was born in 1937 and his dad was in the Coast Guard too.

Had a good friend grow up on Bailey in Nochas. Its near the Park Circle area. It's about 1/2 mile from the old back gate at the Navy Base. Across the street from St Johns Catholic Church.

It's also real close to Spruill Avenue. Another street made famous by the Navy Base. . :)

My dad was born in 1945 when his father served at the Coast Guard station. We have an old picture that shows their address as "Bailey Drive", but I do not see a Bailey Drive in downtown Charleston. Does anyone know if there ever was a road named Bailey Drive downtown and if so, the location. Were hoping to see where the old house may be..

Thanks for any help!

I believe the old Coast Guard station in Charlestonis now Fleet Landing

http://fleetlanding.net

ok.. I will check it out.. thanks.. He mentioned walking to the CG station, but thats a long walk! :)
Walking distance could have put it where all the hospitals are now. I'm sure a lot of roads were lost to the hospitals in that area.

Small world. My Dad was also USCG, home port of Charleston, SC, on the USS Cavalier. (Caesar Romero, The TV Joker on Batman, was a shipmate and kept in touch with my Mom until his death)

Last edited:
Reactions: ShaneCocks
I was thinking the old coast guard station was on the southern end of the battery at the mouth of the Ashley River... not far from Colonial Lake.

USCG Charleston:

196 Tradd Street since 1914

Coast Guard Base Charleston is located at 196 Tradd Street in the Southern most part of the city. Historic Charleston surrounds the waterfront area in which the Base is situated. Charleston is a seagoing port with access to both the Ashley and Cooper Rivers. This leaves the Base in an ideal position for many seagoing missions as well as a variety of shore based activities.

Due to the Navy downsizing in Charleston, there is an abundance of Navy quarters available to Coast Guard personnel. The Naval quarters are located at the Naval Weapons Station in Goose Creek, approximately a 30 minute drive to USCG Base Charleston.

Base Charleston consists of approximately 8.2 acres. The Base is located within the historical district of the City of Charleston, South Carolina, on the East side of the Ashley River.

The Coast Guard Charleston Base was first commissioned at its present site in 1914. The government purchased the land from West Point Mill Company, Andrew B. Murry, and the City of Charleston. The land was dedicated to the U.S. Lighthouse Service and originally was used as a buoy depot. The U.S. Coast Guard absorbed the U.S. Lighthouse Service in 1939, including Base Charleston.

Last edited:

Thanks for any help!
Hope you find it! I discovered some years ago that one of my ancestors lived on smith st in Chas - I found the address and drove by to check it out - the house was for sale at I think around quarter of a mill - oh well...

Had a good friend grow up on Bailey in Nochas. Its near the Park Circle area. It's about 1/2 mile from the old back gate at the Navy Base. Across the street from St Johns Catholic Church.

It's also real close to Spruill Avenue. Another street made famous by the Navy Base. . :)

LOL @ Spruill Ave. :D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT