ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Chris Cornell/ Soundgarden

Guy had some serious pipes. Sad for his family.

Found dead on the 17th. Died from hanging himself.
WTF? Probably the best lyricist of the last 25 years.
He was 46.

He was found shortly after midnight on the 18th and pronounced dead around 1:30 a.m. He was 52 years old. Saw him on the Songbook Tour less than a year ago. Amazing voice. Amazing talent. Soundgarden, Temple of the Dogs (Pearl Jam members), Audioslave (Rage Against the Machine members), his own solo career. Life cut way too short by drugs and depression. Heard him on Howard Stern a short while ago talking about all of his upcoming projects, movie scores, etc. Terribly sad.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
He was found shortly after midnight on the 18th and pronounced dead around 1:30 a.m. He was 52 years old. Saw him on the Songbook Tour less than a year ago. Amazing voice. Amazing talent. Soundgarden, Temple of the Dogs (Pearl Jam members), Audioslave (Rage Against the Machine members), his own solo career. Life cut way too short by drugs and depression. Heard him on Howard Stern a short while ago talking about all of his upcoming projects, movie scores, etc. Terribly sad.
52. You are correct.
What a library of great music! Early 'garden was great too, but no craftmanship lyrically speaking. However Louder Than Love is a go to album when I want to get fired up. The video of that tour is amazing!
Badmotorfinger signalled their arrival on fm radio. Rusty Cage was later covered by Johnny Cash...possibly his best cover, along with Hurt by Nine Inch Nails.
Just pissed here, that he got back into drugs. He was clean for decades. I remember a Rolling Stone interview where he said he didn't even drink anymore.( mid 90s) Why wasn't he celebrated post humously? Cobain's death was widely reported. I just stumbled upon Chris's death by accident.

Why wasn't he celebrated post humously? Cobain's death was widely reported. I just stumbled upon Chris's death by accident.

On Sirius/XM last weekend they had a lot of his unplugged shows and interviews and about every 3rd song was one of his.

Actually read about his death on Drudge last Thursday and was in a funk all day. What a waste, but one never knows another's demons...

Saw CC on Saturday Sessions last month. He sang Black Hole Sun, my favorite Soundgarden tune. He looked & sounded great. Hated to hear that last week.

I don't think it was necessarily under reported. I got an alert the morning they found him and there were all kinds of articles. Cobain's death received more recognition because it happened during the height of the grunge era. That being said, Cornell was the best vocalist of the grunge era. Like a Stone is fantastic lyrically (although it was post-grunge).

Yea, not sure what rock you are living under, but I heard it all over the place. Read about it the morning after it happened. Very, very sad. Some of the best music to come out in the last 30 years. Mother Love Bone (he was not a member but was roomies with Andy Wood, the singer who died of heroin in 1990), PJam (the first 5 albums), Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Audioslave, etc., etc. Loved his voice. He and Layne Staley - both tragedies but self inflicted, though Cornell did not have the druggie rep at all. 2 of the best voices in rock. You never know whats going on in someone's head.

Cobain was at his prime of popularity, but yes Chris's death has been under reported for sure
Probably because of what poster said above, it was prescribed medication that may have contributed to his death. Mainstream media, who is in pockets of drug companies, don't want that negative info getting out. Hurts their bottom line

Yea, not sure what rock you are living under

tumblr_inline_mpvct39pTo1qz4rgp.gif

His wife says he took to much Ativan and was not suicidal when in right mind

Guy had a beautiful family, strange

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/ativan-what-you-need-to-know-about-anxiety-pills-w483638

He shouldn't have been taking benzos, if he was an addict. The way his wife described him, he was already high or drunk or both before he took them. Whitney Houston combined alcohol and benzos and drowned in the tub. Is that an accident or suicide? A little of both, maybe. However, Cornell was found with an exercise band around his neck. Doesn't seem to be much gray area there.

As for his singing: "Hunger Strike" will always be my favorite Cornell performance. Vedder is outstanding on that song as well, but Cornell is next level.

He shouldn't have been taking benzos, if he was an addict. The way his wife described him, he was already high or drunk or both before he took them. Whitney Houston combined alcohol and benzos and drowned in the tub. Is that an accident or suicide? A little of both, maybe. However, Cornell was found with an exercise band around his neck. Doesn't seem to be much gray area there.

As for his singing: "Hunger Strike" will always be my favorite Cornell performance. Vedder is outstanding on that song as well, but Cornell is next level.
"I'm going hungry". I sing that line out loud every now and then.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
How crazy is this .... the last song he played on stage was a cover of Zeppelin's " In my Time of Dying". Listen to that song and it gives you chills . So sad

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT