ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Closed Restaurants

Carolina4

Oct 9, 2006
Over the years restaurants close down, especially a few years back. What’s the 2 or 3 restaurants you wished you could eat at today that no longer exist?

In Greenville, I miss the Rainbow Drive-in on Poinsett Hwy, and John Paul’s Armadillo Oil Company on Frontage Rd. Columbia had a John Paul’s when I was at USC, but it was nowhere near as good as the one in Greenville.

Over the years restaurants close down, especially a few years back. What’s the 2 or 3 restaurants you wished you could eat at today that no longer exist?

In Greenville, I miss the Rainbow Drive-in on Poinsett Hwy, and John Paul’s Armadillo Oil Company on Frontage Rd. Columbia had a John Paul’s when I was at USC, but it was nowhere near as good as the one in Greenville.

I really miss the Old Rainbow Drive-in in Greenville, I ate there many times. The other restaurant I really liked in Greenville was Gene's Restaurant, man they had great food, at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

EDIT: Another great hot dog and hamburger place I really liked was the old Pete's in West End. Not the Pete's across from the St. Paul's Methodist Church but the one that use to be across from the old triangle bank building, kind of in the heart of West End. I remember eating there right before I left for NC which was December '73 and I think it closed shortly thereafter.

Last edited:
I miss Seegers restaurant in Atlanta, GA. The very best New Style French food in the Southeast. He moved it to NYC and is successful again. I guess Atlanta was too much of a backwater town to appreciate food at this level. Or afford it...

His Dining Room at The Ritz Carlton was excellent as well, also gone and replaced with some kind of hotel buffet.

There are so many. I remember The Market on Assembly Street, and The Varsity and Doug Broome's on North Main. They were good ones. In Florence, two drive-ins: John's and the Sky View, plus the Gangplank. In Georgetown: the Whistling Pig.

Dixie Seafood, Columbia. And El Menchaca on Two Notch. I always expected banditos to kick the door in at EM. In Charleston, Marianne's. Your Place for greasy burgers. And The Anchor Line on the way to Folly Beach.

Reactions: rogue cock
The Big Bird across from the towers
The Big Bird was an institution when I was down there. Run by a Greek family, the wife was a beauty. They served everything from short orders to hot meals to deli food. They cashed checks. They also served Burger Beer on tap. They were single-handedly responsible for taking the yen for beer away from me forever.

Anyone remember Lum's? Oversized hot dog and cold draft beer. Come to think if it, both were oversized. Was in the Andy's Deli building I believe.

The Big Bird was an institution when I was down there. Run by a Greek family, the wife was a beauty. They served everything from short orders to hot meals to deli food. They cashed checks. They also served Burger Beer on tap. They were single-handedly responsible for taking the yen for beer away from me forever.

How did they take the yen for beer away from you?

Reactions: Out of Conference
Always enjoyed Birds on a Wire in Columbia too. Their pulled chicken was delicious. That sauce complimented it so well. No idea what it was but it was very sweet. Not my favorite place in the world but missed it when it was gone.

Is the Hibachi joint still open in Five Points? Not the best, but for a drunken $5 plate of hibachi food late at night, it was the best bargain in town.

Last edited:
Reactions: Out of Conference
I really miss the Old Rainbow Drive-in in Greenville, I ate there many times. The other restaurant I really liked in Greenville was Gene's Restaurant, man they had great food, at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

EDIT: Another great hot dog and hamburger place I really liked was the old Pete's in West End. Not the Pete's across from the St. Paul's Methodist Church but the one that use to be across from the old triangle bank building, kind of in the heart of West End. I remember eating there right before I left for NC which was December '73 and I think it closed shortly thereafter.

Grew up down the street from Gene himself. Ate there many times. He ended up opening a couple of locations at one point...late 90’s. Remember one was downtown Easley in a house. It was delicious.

Glad someone mentioned Stuffys. Cheeseburger, those shoestring fries, and a pitcher of beer...perfect location too.

Reactions: Brace1
Grew up down the street from Gene himself. Ate there many times. He ended up opening a couple of locations at one point...late 90’s. Remember one was downtown Easley in a house. It was delicious.

Glad someone mentioned Stuffys. Cheeseburger, those shoestring fries, and a pitcher of beer...perfect location too.

Someone told me that Gene passed away several years ago and that was the reason the restaurant closed. Sorry to hear that if it's true. The last time I can remember eating there was in the late 70's or early 80's.

Someone told me that Gene passed away several years ago and that was the reason the restaurant closed. Sorry to hear that if it's true. The last time I can remember eating there was in the late 70's or early 80's.

Yeah he was old and pretty sure it’s been a while. I’d say early 2000’s when he passed.

And where I learned to play Galaga!

Reactions: king ward
Always enjoyed Birds on a Wire in Columbia too. Their pulled chicken was delicious. That sauce complimented it so well. No idea what it was but it was very sweet. Not my favorite place in the world but missed it when it was gone.

Is the Hibachi joint still open in Five Points? Not the best, but for a drunken $5 plate of hibachi food late at night, it was the best bargain in town.

Grilled Teriyaki is still there. I think they changed management/owners a few times, but it’s still okay. Definitely good after some drinks, and I’m sure still packed at 2 in the morning. I used to have a window washing company with a friend of mine, and they were one of our accounts. One of the guys that ran it back then was saying they were looking to open one in Athens. This one was way better when he was here.

Reactions: Carolina4

I used to eat at the Rainbow regularly for about 4 years when I worked close by. Gus was the owner. A couple of years ago, I drove by where it used to be and hated to see it was no longer there.

I'm so sad to hear that. What was his last name?
Gene last name was Eckford and he passed in 2010 at 79 years old. It was sad to see the restaurant close, but no one in the family wanted to run it. His son Ty had no interest in it neither did his wife Joyce. If he was still married to his second wife Betty when he died she probably would’ve kept it going.

So many to name but to go with a few...
Mama Kate's Drive In in North Charleston had a great Pastrami sandwich. Fox and Hounds in Summerville for their all you can eat Prime Rib and seafood. Miss them both.

I used to eat at the Rainbow regularly for about 4 years when I worked close by. Gus was the owner. A couple of years ago, I drove by where it used to be and hated to see it was no longer there.

Leon owned it for about the last 10-15 years or so. He was a nice guy.

The Leventis family owned it, I knew their kid Jimmy at Carolina. He passed away a few years ago.

Alice's on King Street. Place was a treasure.

ADVERTISEMENT