ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Colonoscopy, don't put it off

TheReelEss

Feb 3, 2005
I had one this morning. I turned 50 in 2020. The doctor said they removed 4 polyps and it was good that I didn't wait any longer. A coworker of mine died a little over a week ago from colon cancer at the age of 60. If you're of age, don't delay it. It's only a small ordeal.

Ditto. I’m 42 and had one at the request of my Internal Med Dr. 5-6 years ago and have since had a second. They found several and one that would’ve definitely caused problems.

Otherwise known as "The Night of 1000 Waterfalls".
There were two bottles in this kit. I had to take one at 4:00 PM with the water. The waterfall was over by 7:00. Then I had to get up at 4:00 AM and take the other. The medicine was the same, but round 2 was milder. I read ahead about what to avoid eating the days before to make it easier. My experience was less unpleasant than my wife's.

Glad you did it. I had a polyp fifteen years ago and have had no more. Just stay on top of it and you will be fine. I have a friend who is now 64 and refuses to have one. I worry about him everyday.

Reactions: TheReelEss
I had one this morning. I turned 50 in 2020. The doctor said they removed 4 polyps and it was good that I didn't wait any longer. A coworker of mine died a little over a week ago from colon cancer at the age of 60. If you're of age, don't delay it. It's only a small ordeal.
Completely agree. I'm on a five year rotation. They find two or three polyps every time. So far, nothing "hot". Lots of needless deaths attributable to not doing this.

Ugh.....to not have to drink that swill... The pooping part doesn't even bother me - it's the prep drink!! 🤢🤢
And yeah, same here Bubba.

I've had three in my coloscopy career. The day before pooping isn't a big deal for me since it's one of my hobbies.

Doctor was on me for years to have it, finally did it via the Cologuard home kit last year. Kinda strange, going to UPS with a box of my dooky ...
Same here. That collection process was a bit odd. I mean, I crap in the woods all of the time when I go camping, but doing it in a box and handling said box and all was strange.
I'll be getting a colonoscopy next time since the rate of finding cancer is much better than with Cologuard.

Reactions: SCexpat38
Glad they found those and things are OK with you.

Make sure that whoever brings you asks the doctor for the results before you leave. They often use Versed for anesthesia. It can mess with your short term memory.

Completely agree. I'm on a five year rotation. They find two or three polyps every time. So far, nothing "hot". Lots of needless deaths attributable to not doing this.
I'm 53 and My Doc does a rectal exam once a year on me. So far so good, but God how I HATE those few minutes!!!

medical-rectal_exam-anal_exam-anal_examination-checkup-check_up-tcln35_low.jpg

When I was 40 my doctor said "You don't smoke so you can wait til 45." At 45 he said "You don't smoke or have other bad habits so you can wait til 50." Then he added, "unless you have a family history..." When I told him my grandmother died of colon cancer and my mother had just finished chemo because of it he scheduled me for the following week. Nothing found but it would be silly not to play it safe and get checked. Next year will be my third.

As for prep, it's gotten better over the years. I had to clean out for a GI scan about 30 years ago. They gave me the chalky mix and I was up all night and still going in the morning. One of the nurses said "at your weight (about 125 at the time) you should have only taken half the bottle." Sure wish they had told me that BEFORE I took the stuff!

Good luck to all who get the test. Hopefully all results are good and you'll think it was a waste of time. It's not.

Last edited:
Yep...I had my first one about 4 years ago (age 55) and they found 4 polyps. I had my second one last month and they found 7 polyps...WTH! The Doc asked me what I was eating and nothing really out of the ordinary. Then he asked me if I ate bacon. And I almost had bacon everyday (Because of the keto diet). That obviously was a big no no because of the Nitrates. So I have to go in another 3 years. I'll see what happens when eating little to no bacon.

I'm 53 and My Doc does a rectal exam once a year on me. So far so good, but God how I HATE those few minutes!!!

medical-rectal_exam-anal_exam-anal_examination-checkup-check_up-tcln35_low.jpg
He's mainly checking your prostate. But as for the colon: my friend, I'm surprised he hasn't recommended a regular colonoscopy. Your time has come. It's a little unsavory to contemplate, but it could save your life.

Same here. That collection process was a bit odd. I mean, I crap in the woods all of the time when I go camping, but doing it in a box and handling said box and all was strange.
I'll be getting a colonoscopy next time since the rate of finding cancer is much better than with Cologuard.

Good luck. I'll probably stick with the home test ... keep thinking of the proctologist from Cannonball Run --

53263-03c5ce5a93f30da8d6bc9c71b8abfcc3.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: caughtlookin
Colon cancer is one of the easier to find/diagnose/prevent. Called a colonoscopy. Get one, chances are it could prolong your life. My fourth one is set for 2/26. Prep work and IV stick are the worst parts, well, add in starvation for a day and a half!!!

As for prep, it's gotten better over the years. I had to clean out for a GI scan about 30 years ago. They gave me the chalky mix and I was up all night and still going in the morning. One of the nurses said "at your weight (about 125 at the time) you should have only taken half the bottle." Sure wish they had told me that BEFORE I took the stuff!
Yeah, I had the same scan. I believe the bottle of prep was about 4X the size of the ones I took yesterday and it was rough. I went to work after the scan, but about 2:00 I was asking my manager if I could go home.

The only hard part is getting ready for the procedure, the colonoscopy itself is a breeze. But, yes please have the procedure, no reason not to and it could literally save your life. It's about time for me to have another one.

i found the prep wsAs not that bad. Gallon of Gatorade with the medicine was no big deal...no food for 24-30 hours is a huge deal. Bar-b-q sandwich right after cannot taste any better.

I've have one colonoscopy almost 2 years ago. He removed 1 polyp. But I have IBS and mild Diverticulosis. Both cause me pain from time to time.

My wife of 30 years was diagnosed with advanced colon cancer in May and passed away in July. She didn't go to the colonoscopy appointments they had made for her since 2015, although I begged her to go. I can't begin to tell you how horrible those two months were, or how how tough the six months since have been. Please never put off a colonoscopy. It could cost you your life.

Some say that Cologuard can find 40-50% of precancerous lesions.

Seems like colonoscopy is profitable and gets advertised very well. But molecular testing is pretty great and will keep improving no doubt.

Here is a recent super serious review
also

Be wary of Cologuard. My test results ended up being false positive!

And Cologuard can only find cancer, not precancerous polyps, to my knowledge. And it obviously can't remove polyps.

Reactions: king ward
Listen, not to down pay this procedure, but you need to get yer lilly white ass on the prayer bench more often. Lol 😆

The only hard part is getting ready for the procedure, the colonoscopy itself is a breeze. But, yes please have the procedure, no reason not to and it could literally save your life. It's about time for me to have another one.

Uknow they switched from the classic demerol to this Michael Jackson drug not long ago.

I enjoyed the Demerol & for this going where no woman has gone before new stuff.........zzzzzzzzzz.

PS: they told me on last visit, “we won’t need to see you for 10 yrs”.
My reply, “Good, cause I’ll be dead before that”. 🤣

Some say that Cologuard can find 40-50% of precancerous lesions.

Seems like colonoscopy is profitable and gets advertised very well. But molecular testing is pretty great and will keep improving no doubt.

Here is a recent super serious review
also
When a simple test can replace the colonoscopy I'll be all over that. Given my family history of having polyps, it looks like polyp removal will be necessary anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT