ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Colonoscopy, don't put it off

I had one this morning. I turned 50 in 2020. The doctor said they removed 4 polyps and it was good that I didn't wait any longer. A coworker of mine died a little over a week ago from colon cancer at the age of 60. If you're of age, don't delay it. It's only a small ordeal.
I feel sure u were given the Michael Jackson drug & danced off to never never land.

Bring back Demerol😁

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
I was just exhausted from being up all night in the toilet. And I had few calories in me.
What's bad is is you have a late procedure scheduled when you haven't had anything to eat since the previous day. Or, you had something early scheduled but somehow it has to be pushed off. I've been fortunate not to have had too much trouble with the prep or not to have had anything later than about 8:30 for the procedure.

I had one this morning. I turned 50 in 2020. The doctor said they removed 4 polyps and it was good that I didn't wait any longer. A coworker of mine died a little over a week ago from colon cancer at the age of 60. If you're of age, don't delay it. It's only a small ordeal.
The experience of having your anus turned into a firehose nozzle for several hours was somewhat an ordeal for me. I had one done in December and had to drink a gallon of the colon cleanser solution within 12 hours of the appointment. I'm on a 5 year cycle as well.

I guess all the people on earth who lived before colonoscopies were just $hi+ out of luck.
I'd say this also: they were around for a long time before the public began to embrace having them. This was one area in which celebrities did some real good. Several had their colonoscopies covered on television. Obviously they were discreetly edited.

I'd add this, Vince Lombardi died in his fifties after refusing doctor recommendations several times that he undergo a colonoscopy. A shame.

I feel sure u were given the Michael Jackson drug & danced off to never never land.

Bring back Demerol😁
Wasn't it Fentanyl that killed Michael Jackson? He had a personal doctor that administered it as a rather potent sleep aid. This was right before it became a national issue.

Uknow they switched from the classic demerol to this Michael Jackson drug not long ago.

I enjoyed the Demerol & for this going where no woman has gone before new stuff.........zzzzzzzzzz.

PS: they told me on last visit, “we won’t need to see you for 10 yrs”.
My reply, “Good, cause I’ll be dead before that”. 🤣
They told me the same thing.

MJ died from Propaohal..(sp). It's an anesthesia he should have never been administered. I got a colonoscopy bout 7 years ago in my 40's because of family history. I'll make my next appointment 2 years in advance to ensure that 7 am appointment

I had it done a couple of months ago......the prep is absolutely the worst.....however, you are asleep during the "anal invasion"....felt nothing, but my raw @#$ hurt for days.....once you open the faucet, its on....it wasn't from the procedure, but the prep...i spent hours on the porcelain throne....anyone that says it was a picnic has to be a masochist.....i am not looking forward to the next, but i will do it ....i did have one polyp removed

Last edited:
OK, here goes. If you are 50 or if you doctor tells you to do it earlier, GET A COLONOSCOPY PRONTO!! When I was 50, I did not have health insurance. The small company I worked for had recently dropped it because of increase costs. I could not afford the premiums myself. I definitely wasn't going to pay for a colonoscopy out of my pocket, so I went without. At 56, I could get Obamacare insurance. I started having "bathroom problems". I had been regular all my life and all of a sudden, I wasn't. My doctor said I needed to get a colonoscopy.

I got it done, and the doctor said I had a problem. Ends up I had Stage 4 rectal cancer that also was in some of my lymph nodes!! In case you don't know, that is NOT good! I went through around 10 series of weeks of pill form chemotherapy (2 weeks on, 1 week recovery). I was told to be careful not to let others come into contact with it or your body fluids while taking it and for a time after taking it, and I needed to wear gloves when touching the pills. Basically it is like poisoning yourself. It caused extreme fatigue, nausea, pain, and some hair loss. At the same time, I was getting daily radiation treatments, Monday thru Friday. The side effects of the radiation on me were not good!

After recovering sufficiently from the oral chemotherapy and radiation treatments, I had my surgery in January of 2017. My surgery lasted around 9 hours. I had about a 10 inch incision that was closed by many, many staples. They had to remove a section of my rectum big enough to include the cancerous lymph nodes. I was in the hospital 10 days. After a few months to recover from the surgery, I had around ten IV chemotherapy treatments. Each treatment took 3-4 hours at the cancer center, then I would go home with a portable chemo pump. This was hooked to a port in my chest. It would dispense the correct amount, of a different chemo drug, gradually into me over 3 days. I would then go back to the cancer center to have the pump removed. I would have a treatment every other week, if possible. I say, if possible, because before you got an infusion, you had to get your blood tested. Many things had to be right before you could get the treatment. If they were not right, you would have to wait a week to allow things to get right. This stuff almost kills you. Side effects include severe nausea, extreme fatigue, mouth and tongue sores that would bleed whenever you tried to eat (which you never felt like doing). loss of taste, if you drank a cold liquid, it would burn horribly, so everything had to be room temperature. I had to wear gloves to handle anything cold from the refrigerator and especially the freezer. These would gradually go away over the 2 week period, then you would do it again. DOES ANYBODY STILL THINK A COLONOSCOPY IS NOT WORTH GETTING?

Normally, when the IV chemotherapy treatments are over, you are done. I apparently am not normal. The radiation treatments caused me many lasting side effects. I got blood clots in my right leg that caused it to swell about 3 times normal size. If they break loose, it can be fatal. I went in the hospital. The treatments caused my sacrum bone to become brittle. It is a porous bone at the base of your spine. It has many nerves running through it. Mine cracked in a few places destroying the nerves, and causing extremely severe pain! For a period of 7 days, I could not sit or lay down because the pain was so bad. I slept about 10 hours in 7 days. I would just walk continuously around in my house! Because of sleep deprivation, I had hallucinations and would fall down! I went in the hospital. I got a Sacroplasty. This is like putting cement in the cracks of my sacrum.

I got a terrible case of Cellulitis in both of my legs. It is a common, potentially serious bacterial skin infection. The affected area appears swollen and red and is typically painful and warm to the touch. It occurs when a crack or break in your skin allows bacteria to enter. Left untreated, the infection can spread to your lymph nodes and bloodstream and rapidly become life-threatening. I went in the hospital. The picture is of what my Cellulitis looked like. The nerve damage from the radiation treatments actually caused me to get hammertoes. This is when your toes curl under, and you basically have to walk on your toes, which is painful. Surgery requires breaking your smaller toes, putting pins in them that go through the bones and into your foot. The end of the pins stick out of your toes, and have to stay that way for 7 weeks. Then, the pins are removed. The big toes get a permanent large screw in them. You only do one foot at a time.

Long story somewhat shorter, I spent five and a half months of 2017 in the hospital or rehab centers. Bills ran over $600,000! Thank goodness for insurance. Because of destroyed nerves, I have some challenges everyday. The sacrum pain, while not nearly what it was, is always there. All of this might sound bad, but it is better than the alternative.......Taking a dirt nap!! My cancer has been in remission since 2017! Thank you, Lord!

I only have one question: DOES ANYBODY STILL THINK A COLONOSCOPY IS NOT WORTH GETTING?

The last time I had a colonoscopy I told the nurse that I had a terrible headache. She told me not to worry because after anesthesia the headache would be gone. It was. She told me that some people with migraines undergo this anesthesia to get relief from the headaches.

Reactions: TheReelEss
The last time I had a colonoscopy I told the nurse that I had a terrible headache. She told me not to worry because after anesthesia the headache would be gone. It was. She told me that some people with migraines undergo this anesthesia to get relief from the headaches.
I had not thought of that. But I swear I have only had one migraine since my procedure. I used to average one a month. But I also started dieting and drinking way less.

Propofol is a nasty drug. I had it when I had to have a kidney stone surgically removed. It was in the shape of a barbed hook and the barbed was facing out. Had a bladder stint for 2 months.

Jokingly told the anesthesiologist that I wasn’t going down. He said want to bet, that’s the last thing I remember, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 92Pony
Oh, I see. Thanks.
edit: So I just read that Propofol is the most common drug used for deep sedation. Fentanyl and midozolam are used for milder sedation.

Propofol is used all the time in Colonoscopy procedures. The tiny amount they use is well tolerated by most people and the benefit is that you recover very quickly because it leaves the body fast.

Obviously your doctor should help make that decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: boykinlp
I was being sarcastic. I'm a Christian. But I doubt even many Jews believe Methuselah actually lived that long, at least according to our current calendar. I'm guessing somewhere along the way, months (moons) or seasons was translated to years or their idea of a year was different from ours. In our sermon this past week, the pastor read from the Daniel 9. In it Daniel gets a vision that it will take 70 weeks for the people of Israel to get right with God before they can rebuild Jerusalem and the temple. He told us that means 70 years and this can be validated by Bible scholars. That chapter deals with the endtimes and the antiChrist. Thus, that 70 years has still not passed. I just take the Methuselah story to mean that the man lived a very long life compared to his contemporaries.
Yeah, even at 969 moons/months, which comes to about 81 years of age, that would be an old fella during the earliest days of civilization. If I learned anything from vampire myths, it's that living for hundreds of years among the shorter-lived would make life monotonous and lonely.

Reactions: TheReelEss
I don’t think so. But they walked with the God that created T Rex.
According to the Bible the earth is only about 6000 years old and man was created in the first week of it. If taken literally, that would mean mankind would have to have coexisted with the dinosaurs.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
According to the Bible the earth is only about 6000 years old and man was created in the first week of it. If taken literally, that would mean mankind would have to have coexisted with the dinosaurs.
I don’t believe the 6000 year theory. People trace it back but there are errors and the Bible is inconclusive. That is not its purpose. Numbers are symbolic in our Bible. 7 (70, 700, etc) signifies perfection and completion. God rested on the 7th day after creation - completion, perfection. Jesus said “forgive your neighbor who sins against you 70 times 7.” Not meaning 490 times, but every time, and completely. But this is nothing new because you already know this. I think we sometimes go for one of those “got ‘cha” moments to challenge the Bible, particularly on things that don’t matter.

I apologize for mentioning the ages of Biblical characters. All I was wanting was to have a little fun and dig at some folks. Enjoy life! And Go Cocks!

I remember many years ago (20 maybe) a large T-Rex was found in an area so remote that they had to helicopter out the bones. The leg bone was too big to fit so they had to saw it in half, something no paleontologist ever wants to do. When they cut it in half they found soft tissue, blood vessels that were still elastic with what appeared to be blood cells in them. I was finding it hard to believe soft tissue could survive 65 MILLION YEARS! It was a big story for a few days and then quietly disappeared from the news. Does anyone remember this?

I remember many years ago (20 maybe) a large T-Rex was found in an area so remote that they had to helicopter out the bones. The leg bone was too big to fit so they had to saw it in half, something no paleontologist ever wants to do. When they cut it in half they found soft tissue, blood vessels that were still elastic with what appeared to be blood cells in them. I was finding it hard to believe soft tissue could survive 65 MILLION YEARS! It was a big story for a few days and then quietly disappeared from the news. Does anyone remember this?
Quite the tangent! Actually there was no true story about blood vessels being found in a T-Rex bone, it was "soft tissue" in a form that was determined to be collagen. The details of that find are explained in this article, https://www.livescience.com/41537-t-rex-soft-tissue.html

OK, here goes. If you are 50 or if you doctor tells you to do it earlier, GET A COLONOSCOPY PRONTO!! When I was 50, I did not have health insurance. The small company I worked for had recently dropped it because of increase costs. I could not afford the premiums myself. I definitely wasn't going to pay for a colonoscopy out of my pocket, so I went without. At 56, I could get Obamacare insurance. I started having "bathroom problems". I had been regular all my life and all of a sudden, I wasn't. My doctor said I needed to get a colonoscopy.

I got it done, and the doctor said I had a problem. Ends up I had Stage 4 rectal cancer that also was in some of my lymph nodes!! In case you don't know, that is NOT good! I went through around 10 series of weeks of pill form chemotherapy (2 weeks on, 1 week recovery). I was told to be careful not to let others come into contact with it or your body fluids while taking it and for a time after taking it, and I needed to wear gloves when touching the pills. Basically it is like poisoning yourself. It caused extreme fatigue, nausea, pain, and some hair loss. At the same time, I was getting daily radiation treatments, Monday thru Friday. The side effects of the radiation on me were not good!

After recovering sufficiently from the oral chemotherapy and radiation treatments, I had my surgery in January of 2017. My surgery lasted around 9 hours. I had about a 10 inch incision that was closed by many, many staples. They had to remove a section of my rectum big enough to include the cancerous lymph nodes. I was in the hospital 10 days. After a few months to recover from the surgery, I had around ten IV chemotherapy treatments. Each treatment took 3-4 hours at the cancer center, then I would go home with a portable chemo pump. This was hooked to a port in my chest. It would dispense the correct amount, of a different chemo drug, gradually into me over 3 days. I would then go back to the cancer center to have the pump removed. I would have a treatment every other week, if possible. I say, if possible, because before you got an infusion, you had to get your blood tested. Many things had to be right before you could get the treatment. If they were not right, you would have to wait a week to allow things to get right. This stuff almost kills you. Side effects include severe nausea, extreme fatigue, mouth and tongue sores that would bleed whenever you tried to eat (which you never felt like doing). loss of taste, if you drank a cold liquid, it would burn horribly, so everything had to be room temperature. I had to wear gloves to handle anything cold from the refrigerator and especially the freezer. These would gradually go away over the 2 week period, then you would do it again. DOES ANYBODY STILL THINK A COLONOSCOPY IS NOT WORTH GETTING?

Normally, when the IV chemotherapy treatments are over, you are done. I apparently am not normal. The radiation treatments caused me many lasting side effects. I got blood clots in my right leg that caused it to swell about 3 times normal size. If they break loose, it can be fatal. I went in the hospital. The treatments caused my sacrum bone to become brittle. It is a porous bone at the base of your spine. It has many nerves running through it. Mine cracked in a few places destroying the nerves, and causing extremely severe pain! For a period of 7 days, I could not sit or lay down because the pain was so bad. I slept about 10 hours in 7 days. I would just walk continuously around in my house! Because of sleep deprivation, I had hallucinations and would fall down! I went in the hospital. I got a Sacroplasty. This is like putting cement in the cracks of my sacrum.

I got a terrible case of Cellulitis in both of my legs. It is a common, potentially serious bacterial skin infection. The affected area appears swollen and red and is typically painful and warm to the touch. It occurs when a crack or break in your skin allows bacteria to enter. Left untreated, the infection can spread to your lymph nodes and bloodstream and rapidly become life-threatening. I went in the hospital. The picture is of what my Cellulitis looked like. The nerve damage from the radiation treatments actually caused me to get hammertoes. This is when your toes curl under, and you basically have to walk on your toes, which is painful. Surgery requires breaking your smaller toes, putting pins in them that go through the bones and into your foot. The end of the pins stick out of your toes, and have to stay that way for 7 weeks. Then, the pins are removed. The big toes get a permanent large screw in them. You only do one foot at a time.

Long story somewhat shorter, I spent five and a half months of 2017 in the hospital or rehab centers. Bills ran over $600,000! Thank goodness for insurance. Because of destroyed nerves, I have some challenges everyday. The sacrum pain, while not nearly what it was, is always there. All of this might sound bad, but it is better than the alternative.......Taking a dirt nap!! My cancer has been in remission since 2017! Thank you, Lord!

I only have one question: DOES ANYBODY STILL THINK A COLONOSCOPY IS NOT WORTH GETTING?
Man I believe a colonoscopy is worth it. No doubt. Reading about your experience humbles me. I should stop complaining about things not nearly so impactful as what you’ve been through. I’d like to ask one thing. After your diagnosis, if you had known all that you would endure, would you have made the choice to fight? Personally I don’t think I would. I have a wife, grandchildren, close friends, and a national football championship I want to experience, but at 70 years old and maybe sounding shallow, something inside me says, “take the dirt nap”.

Man I believe a colonoscopy is worth it. No doubt. Reading about your experience humbles me. I should stop complaining about things not nearly so impactful as what you’ve been through. I’d like to ask one thing. After your diagnosis, if you had known all that you would endure, would you have made the choice to fight? Personally I don’t think I would. I have a wife, grandchildren, close friends, and a national football championship I want to experience, but at 70 years old and maybe sounding shallow, something inside me says, “take the dirt nap”.
Coup Nazi, I WOULD! I am single, but have a lot of close friends and family members that prayed for me often. I have lived a good life, and always try to have a positive attitude that I truly believe helped me get through my ordeal. I am a fighter! Every additional day I have is a blessing.

One day in rehab, I was feeling embarrassed about a pretty young nurse having to help me walk down a hall because my muscles had gotten so weak. She had placed a heavy duty belt around my waist, that she was firmly holding on to, while walking right behind me. I was hating it. But, as I looked ahead of us, I saw a twenty something year old girl being pushed in a wheelchair by a physical therapist, while her young daughter was walking beside her holding her hand. Both mother and daughter had smiles on their faces. I knew my cancer was in remission, my legs would get stronger, and I was toward the end of my rehab. That young mother would never get her legs back, and her rehab was just beginning! I saw things like that many times. I hope and believe that I have many more days around here, but when it is my time to "take my dirt nap", I will be OK with that too! Also, CN, think about how sad losing you will be to your wife, grandchildren, and close friends, and how awesome a fooball National Championship will be.

BTW, I live and breath college football, and wins are much sweeter now, and I wish I could say that losses didn't bother me as much as they did pre-cancer, but I can't say that. They still suck and hurt me greatly!

Wasn't it Fentanyl that killed Michael Jackson? He had a personal doctor that administered it as a rather potent sleep aid. This was right before it became a national issue.
No it was extended use and overdose of propanol. Not intended for any kind of sleep aid, but a knock out drug.

So effin scared of this...48...comin up
The procedure's no big deal. The prep is an ordeal. But a couple days before, read up on what not to eat. It makes a difference in how bad the "firehose" is. And buy yourself a tube of Desitin. If you have any small children around, you probably already have some. It's one day of discomfort for 5-10 years of peace of mind.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but it was mostly this thread that got me back to the endoscopy office.

I had my first in my early 20’s to check on an issue - all was fine then. I had another issue around 47-48 so I had one then that turned up two polyps - one pre-cancerous. At that time, the Doc told me to come back in 3yrs. This thread was timely back in Jan because I was overdue. I went Friday, and thankfully came through with a clean checkup! I’m supposed to stay on a 5yr rotation from now on.

For me, the worst part was that nasty magnesium citrate. <shudder>!!

And yeah, as mentioned by several; that propofol nap is ah-maze-zing!!

Reactions: gamecock disciple
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT