ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Covid symptoms

OldWiseCock

Apr 3, 2019
Columbia
I'm interested to hear about the symptoms folks had during the beginning of their Covid illness. I was exposed 8 days ago. I was tested last Friday and it was negative. I am on Covid protocol working from home. I keep waiting for symptoms to appear. I've had a cold for more than a week so I have some achiness, a headache and sinus drainage causing a cough, but I've had that off and on for more than a week.

What other things should I be feeling? I have no tightness in my chest, no fever, no nausea, no fever, and I have not lost my sense of taste or smell.

I have to wait until at least Saturday to be tested again. I cannot return to work until 10 days have passed and I have a negative test. My wife was exposed too and she does not have any symptoms.

Has anyone had the illness but had very mild symptoms or stayed more or less asymptomatic completely?

Thanks.

Exactly how mine started....cold and cough for a week prior to testing positive. I lost smell and taste shortly after for about a week. I was real dizzy during this time as well. Good luck and hopefully you bounce back and your 2nd test will be negative!

Reactions: OldWiseCock
So my wife and myself both got it at the same time and our symptoms were the exact opposite. I had a low grade fever, major cough, mild rash, and no taste or smell. My wife had a headache, no fever, gastral problems and severe sinus problems. The only thing we both had was the no smell or taste. I was down for about 15 days...brutal. I've been sicker before but not for that long of period. My symptoms started about 2 days after I got exposed, at least when I think I was exposed.

So my wife and myself both got it at the same time and our symptoms were the exact opposite. I had a low grade fever, major cough, mild rash, and no taste or smell. My wife had a headache, no fever, gastral problems and severe sinus problems. The only thing we both had was the no smell or taste. I was down for about 15 days...brutal. I've been sicker before but not for that long of period. My symptoms started about 2 days after I got exposed, at least when I think I was exposed.
Sounds very similar to a group of our friends who came down with it. All three had some similar symptoms with sinus drainage but with some major differences. One had headaches and gastric issues, one had terrible chest congestion (even two months later still has coughing fits) and their kid just had a mild fever and the loss of taste/smell.

This is the weirdest thing in the world since it effects people so many different ways.

I had a cough for a day or two first, and a run y nose- thought it was seasonal allergies. Then my co-worker tested positive and by the time I got to the testing site myself I felt a little worse... when she told me I had a fever I knew I had “IT”. I never run a fever it seems... At the worst I had a really bad flu- exhausted, terrible body aches, cough... All that. I remember it was during the TAMU game when I celt the worst! I slept like 16 hours straight the night before, finally got up off the couch and made it to the living room, laid on the couch and could not keep my eyes open long enough to watch the game!! (Thankfully... It was a bloodbath) I started feeling a little better day by day after that...

lost taste for a few days but my smell has come back SLOWLY over the past few months, still not “normal” by any stretch...

I'm interested to hear about the symptoms folks had during the beginning of their Covid illness. I was exposed 8 days ago. I was tested last Friday and it was negative. I am on Covid protocol working from home. I keep waiting for symptoms to appear. I've had a cold for more than a week so I have some achiness, a headache and sinus drainage causing a cough, but I've had that off and on for more than a week.

What other things should I be feeling? I have no tightness in my chest, no fever, no nausea, no fever, and I have not lost my sense of taste or smell.

I have to wait until at least Saturday to be tested again. I cannot return to work until 10 days have passed and I have a negative test. My wife was exposed too and she does not have any symptoms.

Has anyone had the illness but had very mild symptoms or stayed more or less asymptomatic completely?

Thanks.
I was asymptomatic. Had my wife not gotten sick with symptoms and a positive test, I would never have known I was positive.

Thanks.

That's about what I experienced. The headache was pretty intense for the first 24-48hrs - especially in the suboccipitals.

From what I've observed, those that typically are prone to digestive distress (vs. respiratory) during down times fair better.

I lowered by carb intake (especially any processed starches) over the course to dampen any mucin buildup that could impact breathing and insulin levels. That always seems to help during the rare times of flu/cold.

Otherwise, just focused on hydration, getting fresh air/natural light, good nutrition and quality sleep. (10pm window).

Sounds very similar to a group of our friends who came down with it. All three had some similar symptoms with sinus drainage but with some major differences. One had headaches and gastric issues, one had terrible chest congestion (even two months later still has coughing fits) and their kid just had a mild fever and the loss of taste/smell.

This is the weirdest thing in the world since it effects people so many different ways.
Weird to say the least...the good news out of all of this is I lost 14 Lbs. Unfortunately I fear that will be short lived...now that I have my taste back I'm eating like a pig.

That's about what I experienced. The headache was pretty intense for the first 24-48hrs - especially in the suboccipitals.

From what I've observed, those that typically are prone to digestive distress (vs. respiratory) during down times fair better.

I lowered by carb intake (especially any processed starches) over the course to dampen any mucin buildup that could impact breathing and insulin levels. That always seems to help during the rare times of flu/cold.

Otherwise, just focused on hydration, getting fresh air/natural light, good nutrition and quality sleep. (10pm window).
One other note a doctor told, especially for those who had raspatory problems like me because of covid. Keep active and sleep on your side or stomach. Need to keep the lungs active...apparently sleeping on your back is bad for the lungs. A lot the elderly die because of the inactivity. Walk around the block even if you feel like crap.

8 days seems like a long time for me to develop symptoms. I think I just have a bad head cold. Now that the weather has gotten cold and dry again the sinus pressure is causing the headache. I'll probably get tested Monday unless I get a lot worse.

Reactions: The Gadfly
Loss of smell and taste and mild headaches for me. My brother text me today and has exactly the same and tested positive this morning

8 days seems like a long time for me to develop symptoms. I think I just have a bad head cold. Now that the weather has gotten cold and dry again the sinus pressure is causing the headache. I'll probably get tested Monday unless I get a lot worse.
It is. Most people become symptomatic or test positive within 2 to 5 days after exposure. No further symptoms or positive test, and you should be pretty much in the clear after testing negative at or beyond the 10 day point.

It is. Most people become symptomatic or test positive within 2 to 5 days after exposure. No further symptoms or positive test, and you should be pretty much in the clear after testing negative at or beyond the 10 day point.
That's what I am thinking. We dodged a bullet. Woke up this morning and still feel about the same. Just mild cold symptoms. This is day 9 after exposure.

Back in july my whole family got it. I lost my sense of smell. And my family all lost their sense of smell and taste. I had a fever for a couple of days and was tired for several days.

Back in july my whole family got it. I lost my sense of smell. And my family all lost their sense of smell and taste. I had a fever for a couple of days and was tired for several days.
Sounds like a mild case for you guys. I have asthma so I'm in a high risk group.

Sounds like a mild case for you guys. I have asthma so I'm in a high risk group.
My daughter thought it was funny , she lost her sense of taste. She drank a little bit of lemon juice and And couldnt taste it. Well it stopped being funny to her after a couple of days..lol But she is fine now and we are all fine now.

My daughter thought it was funny , she lost her sense of taste. She drank a little bit of lemon juice and And couldnt taste it. Well it stopped being funny to her after a couple of days..lol But she is fine now and we are all fine now.
It is strange how it hits some people so hard - and is even deadly. For others it is no worse than a bad cold or the regular flu.

It is strange how it hits some people so hard - and is even deadly. For others it is no worse than a bad cold or the regular flu.
Well I have convinced myself there is 2 viruses. 1 that makes you feel bad and 1 that goes straight to your lungs.

If you have had a bad head cold, that is symptomatic. For many (of the lucky ones) that is as much as this disease manifests. I am not recommending you go to the hospital, but you should get tested to verify if you have it or not if you have not been tested again. If you get a positive test, hopefully the symptoms subside without escalating, and then you can get proof that you had it recently which will become increasingly important in the coming months...

If you have had a bad head cold, that is symptomatic. For many (of the lucky ones) that is as much as this disease manifests. I am not recommending you go to the hospital, but you should get tested to verify if you have it or not if you have not been tested again. If you get a positive test, hopefully the symptoms subside without escalating, and then you can get proof that you had it recently which will become increasingly important in the coming months...
I have to wait until Monday to be tested per department regulations. I was tested a week ago, due to the cold symptoms, but it was too soon after exposure.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
I have to wait until Monday to be tested per department regulations. I was tested a week ago, due to the cold symptoms, but it was too soon after exposure.
Well best of luck regardless of the outcome. This thing is pretty standard fare for most of us below “senior citizen” age, but it can turn ugly fast for older folks sometimes apparently.

I met a respiratory nurse out at the bar last night, she was downing margs like she had something to bury and had the “1000 yard stare” war vets often come home with. Anyone who thinks this thing is not serious should go have a chat with some nurses or doctors working with these patients- you will find out quickly how wrong you are! (“You” as in anyone who is not taking it serious not saying YOU Old cock!!)

Last edited:
Well best of luck regardless of the outcome. This thing is pretty standard fare for most of us below “senior citizen” age, but it can turn ugly fast for older folks sometimes apparently.

I met a respiratory nurse out at the bar last night, she was downing margs like she had something to bury and had the “100 yard stare” war vets often come home with. Anyone who thinks this thing is bot serious should go have a chat with some nurses or doctors working with these patients- you will find out quickly how wrong you are! (“You” as in anyone who is not taking it serious not saying YOU Old cock!!)
I'm pretty well up there ... 67, but good health otherwise.

When you get a mild case it is easy to say, "hey, this is no big deal." Unfortunately, it is a big deal for a decent size group of people.

Well I have convinced myself there is 2 viruses. 1 that makes you feel bad and 1 that goes straight to your lungs.
From what’s known, nope. Several strains of the virus but they all have the same effects (though some strains seem to be more infectious they don’t seem any more or less severe). The thing is that it affects different people differently. It’s still the same virus, though. What usually causes the serious complications is not the virus itself but the person’s own immune system; in some people the immune system just goes wild and that’s usually the cause of the most severe respiratory problems, blood clots, and so on. As for transmission, Covid chiefly spreads by inhaling respiratory droplets from an infected person (as from a cough, sneeze, or just exhaling), or fecal-oral transmission (because the virus is also present in an infected person’s GI tract). Masks and social distancing help with the first, and regular hand washing with the second. There is some evidence of airborne transmission from virus particles with just enough fluid around them to keep them viable while leaving them small and light enough to remain suspended in the air for several hours. Again, masks help, but unless you’re wearing a N95 or better, it’s more a matter of protecting others(if you’re infected but have no symptoms) than of protecting yourself.

Thanks.
I had symptoms in March that involved 2-3 days of a mild fever, a runny nose from hell, and vision blurring. After that , nada. Now, there are those that will say " but you weren't tested". No arguement from me, I just know my body well enough to recognize the different feelings...things I had never experienced before. When I say runny nose from hell, my nose would run a pure stream of snot, about 2-3 feet down. NEVER had that before..

From what’s known, nope. Several strains of the virus but they all have the same effects (though some strains seem to be more infectious they don’t seem any more or less severe). The thing is that it affects different people differently. It’s still the same virus, though. What usually causes the serious complications is not the virus itself but the person’s own immune system; in some people the immune system just goes wild and that’s usually the cause of the most severe respiratory problems, blood clots, and so on. As for transmission, Covid chiefly spreads by inhaling respiratory droplets from an infected person (as from a cough, sneeze, or just exhaling), or fecal-oral transmission (because the virus is also present in an infected person’s GI tract). Masks and social distancing help with the first, and regular hand washing with the second. There is some evidence of airborne transmission from virus particles with just enough fluid around them to keep them viable while leaving them small and light enough to remain suspended in the air for several hours. Again, masks help, but unless you’re wearing a N95 or better, it’s more a matter of protecting others(if you’re infected but have no symptoms) than of protecting yourself.
Report four days ago says UK strain is showing to be deadlier.

COVID hit me hard earlier this month, and I thought I was in good shape (decent weight, avid tennis player, etc.) for a 56-year-old with no apparent underlying issues. First symptoms (tired and achy) developed two days after infection, which occurred when I rode in a closed car for 10 minutes unmasked with an unaware infected person. Super bad timing for both of us. Three days after first symptoms, the really bad symptoms hit me almost all at the same time:
  • Horrible sore throat.
  • Tickle/lump in back of throat, the kind that makes you want to cough.
  • Heavy/constrained lungs with no ability to take a breath bigger than a baby's breath without pain and/or coughing.
Those symptoms lasted four full full days. Imagine going four straight days in which you don't feel comfortable for a minute. My low point occurred one night during this stretch when I stood up to go to the bathroom and couldn't breathe for a second, giving me a moment of panic. I actually wondered if I would be a COVID death statistic. Fortunately, about a week after first symptoms appeared, I could finally feel my body fighting this thing off. My lungs opened up a bit. The sore throat and tickle went away. My sense of taste, which had disappeared, came back.

Here I am today about a month after infection, and I can say I'm at 98% normal. If I take a big breath and fill my lungs to the max, I feel like I could cough. But that sensation has been diminishing every day. I'm back on the tennis court. I don't think I'll have long-term issues, but who knows? One thing I do know: You don't want this thing.

I had mild asthma when I was younger so the doctor gave me a Z pack and two types of inhalers before my positive test result came back. That was the right call, even if I had tested negative. Then my son who has slightly worse asthma was asymptotic when he tested positive, had stomach issues but was over it quickly.

Fecal oral transmission? So I can get Covid if someone farts? Now I see the need for a second mask.

Fecal oral transmission? So I can get Covid if someone farts? Now I see the need for a second mask.
Not exactly, lol! However, if someone doesn’t wash their hands thoroughly after going to the bathroom, and transfers the virus to something you touch or ingest...that’s another matter.

Reactions: The Coup Nazi
Me, my wife and 2 teenagers all got it over New Years. Symptoms were different for each. 13 year old daughter had the mildest, just some congestion for a few days. 15 year old son had a bad sore throat for a few days. Wife had fatigue and headache for about 9 or 10 days. I had it the worst, being the oldest(51). I had a terrible dry cough and fatigue for about 10 or 11 days. I couldn't even take a deep breath for about a week without coughing. 3 of us lost taste and smell but now have it back. It was the sickest i have been as an adult.

Still no symptoms and it has been 10 days since exposure. Yesterday, I felt like I had a fever, but I've been checking it every few hours and it is normal. I think I was just flushed from working outside. Today I feel perfectly fine. My son and wife were exposed even more and they have no symptoms.

We were all tested Friday so the results should be back today. I'll have to be tested again but I'm pretty sure we dodged a bullet.

Not exactly, lol! However, if someone doesn’t wash their hands thoroughly after going to the bathroom, and transfers the virus to something you touch or ingest...that’s another matter.
Before Christmas, an article on BBC, I think, responded to a covid question about that very subject. It noted the gas is likely to be contagious, but the amount would be too small to pose any significant danger, especially with a lack of large droplets, as from a sneeze or cough.

Reactions: The Gadfly
Before Christmas, an article on BBC, I think, responded to a covid question about that very subject. It noted the gas is likely to be contagious, but the amount would be too small to pose any significant danger, especially with a lack of large droplets, as from a sneeze or cough.
This^^^^^^^^

I had mild asthma when I was younger so the doctor gave me a Z pack and two types of inhalers before my positive test result came back. That was the right call, even if I had tested negative. Then my son who has slightly worse asthma was asymptotic when he tested positive, had stomach issues but was over it quickly.
My wife and I still don't have any symptoms. My 26 year old son has some symptoms but no fever and no loss of taste or smell. Our tests from Friday should come back tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT