ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Current technology that was "predicted" in pop culture?

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
My 74 year old mom just got an Apple watch. I joked with her she was just like Dick Tracy since that's a culture reference that would resonate with her. She said that's exactly who she felt like when she was using her watch. Even though he was before my time (remakes notwithstanding) I remember reading some Dick Tracy cartoons, seeing his watch, and thinking just how fantastical it was. It never even dawned on me to think that the technology would ever be feasible, much less widespread.

Any such examples jump out to you?

Read about many a smartphone type device in sci fi books growing up. "What, he can even order his clothes on it? No way!"

Hilarious how wrong fictional depictions get it sometimes too though. The original Blade Runner movie with Harrison Ford -- they are showing this futuristic background with flying cars and stuff. Meanwhile the main character is sitting there reading a print newspaper

Sex robots… from lots of films! Ok those are not perfected yet. Somebody tell Elon to focus on the important stuff!

They do have some kind of crazy virtual sex stuff though I guess- similar to Demolition Man.

Hilarious how wrong fictional depictions get it sometimes too though. The original Blade Runner movie with Harrison Ford -- they are showing this futuristic background with flying cars and stuff. Meanwhile the main character is sitting there reading a print newspaper
Haven’t you heard? Print is making a comeback. 😬

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT