ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cutting the cord

OldWiseCock

Apr 3, 2019
Columbia
I cut Spectrum TV loose a couple of years ago, but kept the internet. Since then I've bounced around from just OTA channels to Hulu, Hulu Live, and most recently to YouTube TV. I have continued to pay separately for Netflix, ESPN+, Amazon Prime and Hallmark. I've discovered that I'm paying more now than I was before.

I'm looking at trying something a little different. I'm thinking about switching to ATT Fiber. If I sign up for ATT Gigabyte Internet I get HBO Max for free. That would take the place of Netflix and Hulu. I can rarely find anything to watch on Netflix anyway. ATT also allows you to pick your own channels to some extent. You get up to 30 channels for $25.00. None are premium sports channels. But I can get the stuff my wife watches (Hallmark, Food Channel and TBS). I might add CBS All Access.

What I need to add is a premium sports only service that would include all ESPN channels, the Golf Channel and the SECN. Then I could drop ESPN+, Hallmark and Hulu. (I will keep Prime because of the free shipping)

I've looked but it seems I have to buy a package which includes non-sports channels in order to get the premium sports channels.

Anyone had any luck with this?

I jumped around a bit and have just stuck with Hulu Live. We have Netflix and Prime, Disney Plus. About $100 total so still less than when I had DirecTV.

Reactions: Dizzy01
I jumped around a bit and have just stuck with Hulu Live. We have Netflix and Prime, Disney Plus. About $100 total so still less than when I had DirecTV.
I am in almost exactly the same position now... Disney was free for the first year, think that is up soon, I use someone else’s Netflix Pw (don’t rat me out) and I use Amazon Prime for a ton of other stuff so it is “like” it is free... The thing I hate about Hulu live is they are doing exactly what Direct TV did- raising my rates all the time. It was like $45 when I started, then $59 or something, just went up to $64. After the super bowl I am going to cancel and find something different. They have gone up by about 50% on me in just over two years time- TOTAL RIP OFF!!

I cut Spectrum TV loose a couple of years ago, but kept the internet. Since then I've bounced around from just OTA channels to Hulu, Hulu Live, and most recently to YouTube TV. I have continued to pay separately for Netflix, ESPN+, Amazon Prime and Hallmark. I've discovered that I'm paying more now than I was before.

I'm looking at trying something a little different. I'm thinking about switching to ATT Fiber. If I sign up for ATT Gigabyte Internet I get HBO Max for free. That would take the place of Netflix and Hulu. I can rarely find anything to watch on Netflix anyway. ATT also allows you to pick your own channels to some extent. You get up to 30 channels for $25.00. None are premium sports channels. But I can get the stuff my wife watches (Hallmark, Food Channel and TBS). I might add CBS All Access.

What I need to add is a premium sports only service that would include all ESPN channels, the Golf Channel and the SECN. Then I could drop ESPN+, Hallmark and Hulu. (I will keep Prime because of the free shipping)

I've looked but it seems I have to buy a package which includes non-sports channels in order to get the premium sports channels.

Anyone had any luck with this?

You lost me at AT&T. Their cell phone service is good. Everything else sucks bad. Wait till they start doing stupid shit with your bill and can’t get it right. I know five people who have had to deal with that. I use high-speed cable Internet through Comcast even though it’s overpriced, and YouTube TV. I also do Netflix but I have capped my costs around $160 versus having to get a bundle package for around 160+ taxes and fees and equipment rental, which always goes up at the end of the 12 month special offer. Then you’re back in the same boat. Cable companies and dish/DIRECTV are likeViper used car salesman.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Families need to start sharing their streaming channels and the cost - would really save $$$

You lost me at AT&T. Their cell phone service is good. Everything else sucks bad. Wait till they start doing stupid shit with your bill and can’t get it right. I know five people who have had to deal with that. I use high-speed cable Internet through Comcast even though it’s overpriced, and YouTube TV. I also do Netflix but I have capped my costs around $160 versus having to get a bundle package for around 160+ taxes and fees and equipment rental, which always goes up at the end of the 12 month special offer. Then you’re back in the same boat. Cable companies and dish/DIRECTV are likeViper used car salesman.
I would never use them for cellphone. I tried that once and their combined billing is a nightmare. But 10 years ago their Uverse TV and internet was top notch. I've read some good things about their fiberoptic gigabyte internet. If all I'm going to do is stream services seems like a great solution. The issue is the cost of all these streaming services.

I did just read their webpage again and the HBO Max is only for one year. I hate promos that force you to renegotiate every year or change your service.

Hope y’all have more luck with the Att gigabyte internet than I’ve had. It’s not what they crack it up to be. It’s not unusual for my tv to stop and start buffering, and I mean several times during one program.

I would never use them for cellphone. I tried that once and their combined billing is a nightmare. But 10 years ago their Uverse TV and internet was top notch. I've read some good things about their fiberoptic gigabyte internet. If all I'm going to do is stream services seems like a great solution. The issue is the cost of all these streaming services.

I did just read their webpage again and the HBO Max is only for one year. I hate promos that force you to renegotiate every year or change your service.
That’s what happens when people look for deals. They get temporary promo bundled deals and contract requirements. If you are proactive with determining exactly what you need/want and search for a solution that provides that service, then you won’t have to worry about deals and promos. It’s such an easier thought process.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Hope y’all have more luck with the Att gigabyte internet than I’ve had. It’s not what they crack it up to be. It’s not unusual for my tv to stop and start buffering, and I mean several times during one program.
That's good to know. To get their best deal I have to sign up for 2 years. I sure don't want to be stuck with poor service for that long.

With Spectrum I only have a modem because I have my own mesh Wifi system. I don't pay for any equipment. With ATT they force you to use their router. They claim they can put it in bridge mode so it doesn't broadcast a Wifi signal, but I'd have to talk to their installer. They will run a fiber optic cable into my house so no more copper, but if it doesn't work well then what is the point.

Reactions: The Coup Nazi
The Netflix lineup is continually shrinking. They lose shows to other platforms. I would not pay for it, but it’s free to T mobile customers which is a nice perk and could be worth switching to T-Mobile if that’s in your cards. We switched from att and got a cheaper cell phone bill and Netflix. It’s been good so far

The Netflix lineup is continually shrinking. They lose shows to other platforms. I would not pay for it, but it’s free to T mobile customers which is a nice perk and could be worth switching to T-Mobile if that’s in your cards. We switched from att and got a cheaper cell phone bill and Netflix. It’s been good so far
I have T-Mobile for cellphone now. I don't think I can get Netflix for free with my plan. But T-Mobile is the best cellphone service I've ever had. I'm looking at their Tvision right now. Seems like a good deal except the number of devices that support it are limited. It's not supported by Roku or Samsung Smart TV yet. I'd have to rent their devices. I watch Netflix so seldom now it is not worth paying for it.

Reactions: AngloCock
We dumped DirecTV last year and I don't regret it at all. We have AT&T fiber optic for internet, YouTube TV and Prime video. Our AT&T service is fantastic and never goes out. Love it.
Where do you live? I am in Forest Acres and fiberoptic cable is right beside my house.

I'd love to have gigabyte internet but I'm not sure it is worth it.

I've discovered that I'm paying more now than I was before.
Not sure how you managed this. I have a lot of streaming services, extra channel subscriptions, bundles, and still save about $100 per month than I was paying with DirectTV.

reAT&T - Our internet service is great. But I see things like that as being subjective to individual experience. When I lived in Charleston, I heard just as many good things about Comcast as bad. I never had a problem with Comcast TV or Internet. But you couldn't pay me enough to have Spectrum, but Daddy has it and loves it.

Not sure how you managed this. I have a lot of streaming services, extra channel subscriptions, bundles, and still save about $100 per month than I was paying with DirectTV.

reAT&T - Our internet service is great. But I see things like that as being subjective to individual experience. When I lived in Charleston, I heard just as many good things about Comcast as bad. I never had a problem with Comcast TV or Internet. But you couldn't pay me enough to have Spectrum, but Daddy has it and loves it.
I just added it up. $192 a month.

The Netflix lineup is continually shrinking.
They are not shrinking. They cancel shows just like everyone else. They have a new movie coming out every week this year. If anything, they are guilty of having too much.

And it costs $19.12/month without any commercials. My Netflix + cable is $65/month. I'm happy.

They are not shrinking. They cancel shows just like everyone else. They have a new movie coming out every week this year. If anything, they are guilty of having too much.

And it costs $19.12/month without any commercials. My Netflix + cable is $65/month. I'm happy.
I could’ve worded that better. Lol. The shows and movies that I’ve watched on Netflix are continually leaving and going to a different streaming service. Netflix does make new content all the time, I’m not much for their originals though

I don't have any commercials on Netflix - that I remember. Who is your IP for $65/month?

True story when it comes to att phone service. I called them a month or so ago to drop a line from my plan as one of my kids just moved one step closer to being self-sufficient.
You would have thought I was trying to steal their lunch. They did their best to convince me it was cheaper to keep a line I didnt use than to drop the line off my plan. They would have me believe it's a dumb move that would cost more rather than save me money. No one would do that. To cut to the chase, they lied. Bill went down by a lot... but not before I sweat bullets waiting for that next bill. They are so full of it.

I could’ve worded that better. Lol. The shows and movies that I’ve watched on Netflix are continually leaving and going to a different streaming service. Netflix does make new content all the time, I’m not much for their originals though
Yea....they cycle a lot in and out. Same with movies. I've enjoyed a lot of their foreign stuff...I have no issues reading subtitles. West Europeans make some good show series.

I just added it up. $192 a month.
Are you counting Amazon Prime in that total? Before I "cut the cord" over a year ago I was paying Comcast over $200 a month for my cable/internet bundle, and that was NOT including Amazon Prime which I originally subscribed to for the shipping perks not the streaming video service. Now my total excluding Amazon Prime is $130, which I plan to reduce soon when I replace YoutubeTV with a cheaper alternative that includes sports.

Are you counting Amazon Prime in that total? Before I "cut the cord" over a year ago I was paying Comcast over $200 a month for my cable/internet bundle, and that was NOT including Amazon Prime which I originally subscribed to for the shipping perks not the streaming video service. Now my total excluding Amazon Prime is $130, which I plan to reduce soon when I replace YoutubeTV with a cheaper alternative that includes sports.
I don't count my Prime subscription in my total either. The individual channels I subscribe to, yes. But I have my Prime membership for shopping.

Yes...I have an OLED TV. 4K is the bomb!
I just bought a new Samsung Q80 65 inch 4k TV. I have not seen anything in 4K yet.

Netflix brings on paralysis for me. I've started and abandoned 5-6 movies in the last year that were not what I thought from the description. I just started a movie this past weekend and forced myself to watch one-half of it. I still fell asleep. Terrible story, uninteresting characters and it was filmed in Quebec so it is in French with English voiceover. I could not tell that from the description. I'm probably going to drop it for HBO Max.

A few years back I found some great titles on Netflix. Before that, when I ordered CDs, I got movies that I knew something about.

Maybe I'm just old.

I just bought a new Samsung Q80 65 inch 4k TV. I have not seen anything in 4K yet.

Netflix brings on paralysis for me. I've started and abandoned 5-6 movies in the last year that were not what I thought from the description. I just started a movie this past weekend and forced myself to watch one-half of it. I still fell asleep. Terrible story, uninteresting characters and it was filmed in Quebec so it is in French with English voiceover. I could not tell that from the description. I'm probably going to drop it for HBO Max.

A few years back I found some great titles on Netflix. Before that, when I ordered CDs, I got movies that I knew something about.

Maybe I'm just old.
"The Irishman"?
"Highwaymen"?
You can search names of some of your favorite actors....Tom Hanks, Eastwood....
At least upgrade to 4K...it's worth it.

"The Irishman"?
"Highwaymen"?
You can search names of some of your favorite actors....Tom Hanks, Eastwood....
At least upgrade to 4K...it's worth it.
Are those movies or TV shows?

When I go into Netflix I see lists of popular titles and by category. I don't think I've ever seen those two, but it is overwhelming to see so many different titles. If you know a title you want to watch and search for it that is easy. If you are just browsing titles I find that to be too much.

Just get an HDMI cord and go online to fbstreams.me ... you can watch any game you want. Access it on a laptop and hook the HDMI cord up to the TV from the laptop and you don’t have to worry about another subscription. Can also use series9.ac or 5movies.fm for series and movies. And they’re all free. It’s what I use. Hell I use it on my phone. I got an iPhone adapter that hooks my iPhone up to my TV. Don’t even need WiFi, just unlimited data.

Just get an HDMI cord and go online to fbstreams.me ... you can watch any game you want. Access it on a laptop and hook the HDMI cord up to the TV from the laptop and you don’t have to worry about another subscription. Can also use series9.ac or 5movies.fm for series and movies. And they’re all free. It’s what I use. Hell I use it on my phone. I got an iPhone adapter that hooks my iPhone up to my TV. Don’t even need WiFi, just unlimited data.
You can even cast it to your TV.I have a iPhone,not the best with a fire stick but it works.like the ole saying,there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Reactions: THMoore100
I have T-Mobile for cellphone now. I don't think I can get Netflix for free with my plan. But T-Mobile is the best cellphone service I've ever had. I'm looking at their Tvision right now. Seems like a good deal except the number of devices that support it are limited. It's not supported by Roku or Samsung Smart TV yet. I'd have to rent their devices. I watch Netflix so seldom now it is not worth paying for it.
Go get a firestick for 30 bucks and get tvision. Its awesome. All you need

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT