ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Darlington or Florence, Buy a house or rent ?

titaniumspur

Sep 16, 2006
I am moving from Georgia to work in the Florence area. My wife will work 2 or 3 days a week in Columbia. We are looking for a place to live. It looks like rental homes are very expensive in Florence, so we are looking at buying in the Darlington area. The kids are older, so we don't care about school districts. I have had a tough time in the past selling houses, so I'm wondering what some of you folks think.

I lived in Darlington for a couple years and the best thing about Darlington is it ain't far from Florence. Darlington has a lot of good people but if you need to shop etc. now that's a different story. I would buy in Florence.

I am moving from Georgia to work in the Florence area. My wife will work 2 or 3 days a week in Columbia. We are looking for a place to live. It looks like rental homes are very expensive in Florence, so we are looking at buying in the Darlington area. The kids are older, so we don't care about school districts. I have had a tough time in the past selling houses, so I'm wondering what some of you folks think.
Talk to a good realtor who knows the market. They should be able to give you sound advice. The rental market may be high because too many cannot qualify for loans, which is good for a potential buyer. And while schools may not be important to you, they may be to a future purchaser. A good realtor should be able to cover all these areas with you. And, no, I'm not a realtor.

If I were you, I would choose Florence over Darlington. Plus, you'll find more renting options in Florence. To answer your second question, I would suggest renting a house, rather than buying one. Because of the pandemic, the house prices in Florence rose, and trust me, they ain't cheap. By the way, do you guys know where I could get a house number plaque for cheap? My sister just moved into another house, and I want to make her a present. I thought this is an excellent house welcoming gift since it will be both practical and make her home stand out on the street.

Last edited:
Isn’t better to be in a good school district because it is easier to sell later?

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
It's a terrible time to buy, but buying is always better than renting. Unless you like throwing money out the window for fun.

Not necessarily. I can think of 20 different instances where renting might be the better option. Over the long haul you are correct, but if you know you’re going to be in an area for a short period of time renting is better. It’s also better to rent for one year than buy the wrong house, especially in an area that’s less populated like the Pee Dee.

You might also buy a house and few acres in a more rural area between the two towns. While land is generally less liquid than an urban single family home, it’s value is less dependent on neighbor’s properties.

Good luck at finding a house to rent or buy in FloTown, although I will have 2 houses I am putting on the market within about 6 weeks. I was shocked at how few the options are in the area. Not a lot to choose from, particularly in the 250-320K range. We moved here 2 years ago on Aug. 1st. Thought we would move out of the rental and buy within 6 months. It took us 18 months to find anything.

I would also look at Camden. It’s half way between those two. I have a couple of friends that do pretty much what y’all will be doing. He works in Florence she works in Columbia a couple days a week. They live in Camden.
If both don’t mind the drive I’d probably do this as well. My wife did mind the commute where we live so we bought closer to town as opposed to the suburbs. We’re in a good spot and now I’ve changed jobs and don’t have that commute but I never minded driving anyway.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Funny to bring back something I posted 4 years ago. The thing that none of us saw coming was the number of people from NY/NJ who are moving down here now. It’s actually a little tougher to find a house in Darlington now, based on what I am seeing in the real estate apps. We bought in Florence, but sometimes I wish we had bought a house in Camden.

I would also look at Camden. It’s half way between those two. I have a couple of friends that do pretty much what y’all will be doing. He works in Florence she works in Columbia a couple days a week. They live in Camden.
Just went through this. We wanted Camden in a bad way, had a fantastic Realtor, got us in on quite a few houses in & around Camden. Unfortunately, a bidding war! Realtor called us late one evening about home being listed next day, dropped everything, we left NC @ 6AM, pulled into driveway @ 10AM, Realtor's phone rings, under contract, approx 15% over asking w/backup offers building. Home purchased sight unseen off the internet. Over & over, this was our M.O. See a house, write a contract, bidding war. Lost two on cash offers w/o home inspections.
Expanded our markets, same daggum situation. Beautiful home in Winnsboro, yes Winnsboro, we blinked, gone!!
Florence is same way. Literally, just walked into home outside Florence, Selling agent called, two offers, well above asking--we walked. This particular home on 1a.c. had a slight odor & obvious Tim, the Tool Man repairs, very obvious. Write up said all hardwoods, one room. The odor was standing ground water due to run off from ditch in backyard, Saw where the overflowing water had pushed Pine straw toward the house.
Point being,, take your time, Realtors are making a lot of money,as they should be but, be in it for the long haul, do your homework,your own homework, pace yourself & if renting turns out the best option, research the areas.
Patience, in this market, is your friend.

Lmao. No offense to anybody, but I love how somebody comes on and literally says “I’m looking for something in Florence or Darlington” and people start throwing out towns in other parts of the state. How about North Augusta or Oconee? Looking for a house in Florence, SC? Then maybe you’d prefer Pigeon Forge, Tennessee! would Montana be too long of a commute between Florence and Columbia?

If you can find a decent rental, take it short term. One of the things making the current market a sellers market has been the absurd lumber prices, due to covid affecting that market. It's been cheaper to repair existing homes than build new. Wait until lumber prices return to near normal. New houses will make existing house go on the market, and prices will lower to near normal.

As stated, Camden is NOT halfway. The traffic on I-20 is relatively light, so not a bad drive, typically, but still 51 miles. Halfway would be Bishopville, but it lacks amenities which affects resale later. Some parts of Darlington (many nice antebellum homes) including nearby rural areas, have nice homes that would resale with little problem, but the lack of amenities, compared to Florence, is noticeable. The area between the two cities (Hoffmeyer Rd) took off forty years ago and may have something to buy/rent in the size you are seeking.

Bear in mind, Florence /Darlington area is also convenient to the Myrtle Beach area (another resale perk).

If you can find a decent rental, take it short term. One of the things making the current market a sellers market has been the absurd lumber prices, due to covid affecting that market. It's been cheaper to repair existing homes than build new. Wait until lumber prices return to near normal. New houses will make existing house go on the market, and prices will lower to near normal.

As stated, Camden is NOT halfway. The traffic on I-20 is relatively light, so not a bad drive, typically, but still 51 miles. Halfway would be Bishopville, but it lacks amenities which affects resale later. Some parts of Darlington (many nice antebellum homes) including nearby rural areas, have nice homes that would resale with little problem, but the lack of amenities, compared to Florence, is noticeable. The area between the two cities (Hoffmeyer Rd) took off forty years ago and may have something to buy/rent in the size you are seeking.

Bear in mind, Florence /Darlington area is also convenient to the Myrtle Beach area (another resale perk).
Eh....Its more an issue of supply and demand. Just a few weeks ago when I checked, there was something like 36 houses on the market in Florence between 150-250K, and I am ballparking those numbers. I dont remember the exact count but it was shocking how few houses were even on the market and nothing has changed since. There is just almost no inventory right now.

Reactions: chief2791
Eh....Its more an issue of supply and demand. Just a few weeks ago when I checked, there was something like 36 houses on the market in Florence between 150-250K, and I am ballparking those numbers. I dont remember the exact count but it was shocking how few houses were even on the market and nothing has changed since. There is just almost no inventory right now.
Err...that's what I said. There is a low supply of lumber, hence the dramatic increase in lumber prices. New construction has had an additional $24,000 on average in new home cost. So existing houses are selling FAST. The repairs for existing homes is much cheaper than building new.

Not necessarily. I can think of 20 different instances where renting might be the better option. Over the long haul you are correct, but if you know you’re going to be in an area for a short period of time renting is better. It’s also better to rent for one year than buy the wrong house, especially in an area that’s less populated like the Pee Dee.
Still throwing money out the door. Renting is never the better option financially. It may fit your motive better, but it's not better on your wallet.

Once the government allows people to get evicted again full force, we are expecting a huge change in the market. There's several of us stacking money now with plans of investing in homes within the next 12 months. The lumber market should continue to ease up some, but we will never get back down to 2019 prices.
Ramtool charged us $84 per sheet of 3/4" standard plywood last week. It was $40 per sheet from them this time a year ago. Just a random example of cost now.

Still throwing money out the door. Renting is never the better option financially. It may fit your motive better, but it's not better on your wallet.

Are you just going to ignore the 2008 housing crisis? When you start using words like never and always, it’s almost always incorrect.

Reactions: atl-cock
Wow. Guess I should start looking at thread dates. Had no idea this was from 2017 originally. 2021 and its the same issue. The bubble has to burst at some point. When I look for flippers now, I look for those places that if the market suddenly crashes, would be good rentals if needed. When that happens, the rental market will explode and the flipping market will die.

Definitely disagree on never. When my parents retired they rented for 6 months periods in a couple of places in Florida to assist in deciding where to relocate. If they had just bought in the first place they would have been out significant money in needing to sell and move again. My daughter attends USC. Renting is cheaper than university housing and it makes no sense to buy a house or condo for a couple more years and then sell after tying up money and have the additional risk for such a short term situation. There are costs involved in real estate transactions including the realtor and closing expenses. In short term situations renting can make better financial sense.

Definitely disagree on never. When my parents retired they rented for 6 months periods in a couple of places in Florida to assist in deciding where to relocate. If they had just bought in the first place they would have been out significant money in needing to sell and move again. My daughter attends USC. Renting is cheaper than university housing and it makes no sense to buy a house or condo for a couple more years and then sell after tying up money and have the additional risk for such a short term situation. There are costs involved in real estate transactions including the realtor and closing expenses. In short term situations renting can make better financial sense.
Probably in most cases, buying is the better option. Stating absolutes is, IMO problematic. Different situations may call for different actions.

I've known two people to buy houses for their college student children. Both rented space to housemates to help with expenses. I don't believe either of the people who did this ever regretted it. They came out flush.

I've known two people to buy houses for their college student children. Both rented space to housemates to help with expenses. I don't believe either of the people who did this ever regretted it. They came out flush.
I've heard of people doing this as well. Each family has to run the numbers and see if it works for them.

Yep, did several projects about 5 years ago for a guy who's kid was a student at Clem's Son. He told me he ran the numbers and it was a no-brainer. He built a 4 bedroom 2 bath house, common kitchen and living room. What he got in rent for the other 3 bedrooms allowed his son to live rent free. Three months after completion, he came back and said I'm doing another one. A year later he did another. What started out as a way to eliminate rent for his son turned into a great business opportunity. Nice guy, the only knock is he's a tater. 😃 Their money is still green 😉

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT