ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Delta pushing for National No Fly List

As long as there is due process to contest it, and repercussions if wrongfully accused (one free flight a year for life, and the accuser(s) gets put on the no fly list for their life)....
The accusers will always be the airlines. That is Delta's intent.

What doesn't make sense is that Delta can ban anyone they want from their own airlines. What interest do they have in banning those folks from taking other airlines?

not sure how you define “private enterprise”, but I sure don’t consider it as public companies who have received many many billions of dollars in taxpayer funded bailouts and tax breaks. Any such list would absolutely need to be funded by the FAA and not by the airlines themselves. Hell, even their security, air traffic controllers, etc etc are taxpayer funded. Airlines are about the most non-private companies that exist. They absolutely shouldn’t be allowed to arbitrarily run “no fly” lists without oversight.
Sounds like you’re in favor of pervasive government regulation in business.

Reactions: Cybercock
Private enterprises that provide necessary services can't band together to stop providing services to people who haven't done anything wrong. What if grocery stores did that?
Sure they can. Besides, they may have a different view about whether the passenger did anything wrong. If the unruly passenger has a problem with it he or she can move the mask drama to a train or bus.

I fly all the time, typically Delta. I have no problem with such a list….actually two lists. The first “no fly list” that is currently in place for known enemies that want cause mass destruction. The other could be for those passengers that have performed an action that warrants removal from the aircraft and criminal prosecution. The ban could be related to the severity of the incident, should have due process and be appealable. Not, necessary a lifetime ban either. It would depend on the infraction.

And, I think most that get removed aren’t your frequent travelers, but rather many times it is passengers that don’t know the rules or care to follow. The impact for many being on this list would likely be minimal.

Sounds like you’re in favor of pervasive government regulation in business.

no, I’m actually not. And yes, I am in favor of this “asshole no fly list” too. But it cant be arbitrarily administered by these “private” companies who’ve taken many billions of dollars from taxpayers. It’s like the other poster said, they provide a necessary service, therefore they are regulated by the government, therefore this list would need to be handled by the government,

It's a huge pet peeve. People are selfish. And by the way, the people that stand up immediately to exit the plane are all "stretching their legs".
I would be all for this list if it included the people who put their carry on in the bin 22 rows in front of where they are sitting.

Reactions: king ward
Not good enough. Things done by uncaring people won’t change if there are no punishments. Freedom of movement is above a lot of these prevention mechanisms.
This is exactly correct and that reasoning should govern more of our policies in America besides air travel.

Reactions: vacock#
Sure they can. Besides, they may have a different view about whether the passenger did anything wrong. If the unruly passenger has a problem with it he or she can move the mask drama to a train or bus.
I was talking about the people mistakenly put on the list. There has to be due process to ensure random people aren't penalized by mistake. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that this has happened. I thought the poster you responded to was referring to those earlier posts.

Reactions: vacock#
Never have had the experience to fly SouthWest. A friend of ours swears by them, but then again they are putting cost saving above every other factor.
For me, I'm willing to pay a little extra for an assigned and/or preferred seat, and early boarding. To each his own.
The cost savings come from only having to operate a single or very few types of aircraft. They only fly 737's....and you can pay a little extra to board early. They board planes much faster than the idiots who put 1st class on first and then make everyone else walk through them to board. Just cause you haven't tried it doesn't mean "they are putting cost saving above every other factor" - I've got 2 million miles on Delta and and darn near a million on United...Southwest does a darn good job...try 'em sometime.

Reactions: Captain Weegie
The cost savings come from only having to operate a single or very few types of aircraft. They only fly 737's....and you can pay a little extra to board early. They board planes much faster than the idiots who put 1st class on first and then make everyone else walk through them to board. Just cause you haven't tried it doesn't mean "they are putting cost saving above every other factor" - I've got 2 million miles on Delta and and darn near a million on United...Southwest does a darn good job...try 'em sometime.
I was referring to the people I know who fly Southwest, not the airline itself.

I fly all the time, typically Delta.
I've enjoyed using Delta back and forth from PHX to CHS. They are almost always on time, love the flight tracker screen on longer flights, and they have the Gogo thing. Not all airlines have those amenities.

My biggest tick is the lines that form out in the walkway during boarding. They block/clog the people trying to get to their next flight, etc. Some of this is airport design.
rawImage.png

Just a general note, you don't own anyone therefore you aren't entitled to their labor therefore you aren't entitled to their service. When consuming, act like a professional because no one should have to put up with your BS. This goes on a flight, at a restaurant, bank drive thru, the contractors that come by your home, everyone.

I always say, if you want to watch a bunch of adults act like petulant little children, go to the airport and watch the 'adults' line up at the gate to get on a plane.
That's the truth and it makes no sense. You're literally going to a stationary object.

I was talking about the people mistakenly put on the list. There has to be due process to ensure random people aren't penalized by mistake. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that this has happened. I thought the poster you responded to was referring to those earlier posts.
If you have a common name like Robert Williams or Steve Johnson, those lists are quite the hassle.

Do it. Zero tolerance. Flying is a privilege, not a right. These people are creating inherently dangerous situations that put lives at risk. And it’s not just the physical altercations that put people at risk - the flight crew’s first job isn’t serving drinks, it’s passenger safety. Undermining their authority puts every passenger at risk by not allowing the crew to do their job unimpeded.

Reactions: rogue cock
What doesn't make sense is that Delta can ban anyone they want from their own airlines. What interest do they have in banning those folks from taking other airlines?
I think it's more of you get banned from a different airline, they don't wanna be the next to find out what's wrong with you.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Read deeper into the article.

At a hearing on Thursday, US lawmakers and aviation unions pushed for new action to prevent unruly passenger incidents.

During the hearing, House Transportation Chairman Peter DeFazio asked if there were legal impediments to airlines sharing "no fly" lists. He said the FAA could potentially create a list.

Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson, a Democrat, asked why the Justice Department was not doing more to prosecute unruly air passengers.

Sara Nelson, president of the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA) said that the Department of Justice (DOJ) "has been slow to conduct criminal investigations or seek indictments." Congress should encourage the DOJ to take action, she said.
Of the 4 highlighted comments, 3 of them were regarding or referring to criminal ramifications.
The 2nd was asking the legal aspects of airlines sharing the lists. The key word there is "potentially "FAA creating a list. And these questions were being posed as merely a brainstorming session during a hearing.
So as of now there is not or even a strong indication of a government agency maintaining a list as you were stating there would be.
Claiming there will be one is nothing more than speculation.

Reactions: rogue cock
That stupid 3rd down call run up the middle for NC State will cost them the game. Conservative playcalling will lose it every time against Clemson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT