ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Did you know Art Schlichter lives in South Carolina?

DarkCock

Jan 21, 2006
Specifically, The Federal Correctional Institution, Williamsburg in Salters. There is a current episode of American Greed (CNBC) on his crimes. I knew he had a gambling problem, but I had no idea how degenerate. The guy fleeced people, mostly OSU fans, out of millions of dollars, including one woman for over a million. It's worth a watch as a cautionary tale of how football hero worship can get out of hand.

Specifically, The Federal Correctional Institution, Williamsburg in Salters. There is a current episode of American Greed (CNBC) on his crimes. I knew he had a gambling problem, but I had no idea how degenerate. The guy fleeced people, mostly OSU fans, out of millions of dollars, including one woman for over a million. It's worth a watch as a cautionary tale of how football hero worship can get out of hand.
The guy was a compulsive gambler as a young teenager. Some people just can't control themselves.

Damn...I set that to record and it didn’t...if anyone knows where I can find it please give me a heads up..thanks

He use to visit North Myrtle Beach back in the day. Watched him throw a football 40+ yards sitting in a beach chair. Good to see him in SC if true - Met a lot of sports guys when I was a bartender at the Spanish Galleon way back when.

Reactions: DarkCock

Through my brother in law...met several people that were in his gamblers anonymous group....I have lived a rather rough life and have know every kind of drunk, druggie and thief ....without a doubt degenerate gamblers are the most destructive, manipulative snakes known to mankind. There is always a hidden life lingering not far below the surface and a scheme in the planning. They tend to be con men...to generate large amounts of cash in short periods. Intelligent but self loathing types.,narcissistic sociopaths.

I mentioned that because he crossed paths with Art Schlichter in various gambler anonymous groups. Last I had herd was Schlichter was out of jail and doing the rounds talking and touring to bring awareness about the "disease"....which was probably itself a con.

He's a piece of crap who has ruined the lives of many people. Surprised he hasn't been killed outside of jail. Only reason he wasn't killed in prison is that he wasn't at a max prison. A lying, conniving cokehead whose death will be not soon enough.

He use to visit North Myrtle Beach back in the day. Watched him throw a football 40+ yards sitting in a beach chair. Good to see him in SC if true - Met a lot of sports guys when I was a bartender at the Spanish Galleon way back when.
Hell, I'm sure you and I met then! Spanish Galleon: been there, done that, didn't want a T-shirt!

The guy was a compulsive gambler as a young teenager. Some people just can't control themselves.
He has a neurological disorder associated with football head injuries. He has Parkinson. Lack of self control is a symptom of concussion related disorders. It was stated on American Greed that he had had 18 concussions beginning in HS.

How many games did he thrown in college sure had a lot of career picks for being a top 5 pick, LOL

From Wiki:

Great job Earl Bruce ! Way to cover up issues and enable sure helped Art in the long run

In four years as a Buckeye, Schlichter tallied 7,547 passing yards and 50 touchdown passes, with 46 interceptions. He also rushed for 1,303 yards and 35 touchdowns.

During his college career, he was frequently spotted at Scioto Downs with a big-time Ohio gambler. Although the Columbus and OSU police departments became suspicious, the athletic department felt it lacked enough evidence to go to the NCAAabout the matter.[3] By his junior year, he had lost several thousand dollars gambling on college and professional sports.[1]On several occasions he was seen at the track with Hayes' successor as head coach, Earle Bruce, a fact which helped cover up early problems emerging while Schlichter was at Ohio State.[2]

He has a neurological disorder associated with football head injuries. He has Parkinson. Lack of self control is a symptom of concussion related disorders. It was stated on American Greed that he had had 18 concussions beginning in HS.

Every criminal has excuses and 99.9% of them are bs. Lack of control would manifest itself in many ways.....not just one. We would see problems in violence, sexual and drug taking as those are the areas where a need for impulse control is most frequent. He also has blamed his dead father for his addiction issues in an interview and right in front of his mother....this after his father had committed suicide after Schlichter had stolen about 200k from him.

They are very good at shifting blame for their bad behavior...and take special steps to cultivate a shared responsibility with close family members as to try to ensure they will be stay to help them in the future. I know of one who after his brother passed away blamed his bad behavior on his brother molesting him as a young child. Now I do not know if it happened or not..what I do know is that he had years to confront the issue while the brother was still alive...and his addictions were common knowledge. However it was not until months after his brother died did the details of this alleged molestation start to come out. Very convenient for the degenerate gambler....his sins had a boogey man to blame who could not defend himself.

Art grew up a round horse associated gambling, his mom, dad, and of course coach Bruce.

He was enabled and everyone looked the other way on everything, his HS coach was still in denial in a 1983 NY Times article

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/04/16/sports/sports-of-the-times-on-schlichter-and-gambling.html

From a 1983 NY Times article

SPORTS OF THE TIMES
SPORTS OF THE TIMES; ON SCHLICHTER AND GAMBLING
By Ira Berkow
Published: April 16, 1983

Fred Zechman, now head football coach at New Mexico State, was Art Schlichter's coach at Miami Trace High School in southern Ohio and the quarterback coach when Schlichter was the star for Ohio State.

And last week he heard the news that Schlichter, now a third-string quarterback with the Baltimore Colts, had lost $389,000 betting on basketball games. When Schlichter was unable to pay it all, he went to F.B.I. agents to trap his bookies.

''Art,'' said Zechman, ''is just a good ole country boy and evidently got caught up in something big.'' Art Schlichter's father, Max, of Bloomingburg, Ohio, defended his son. ''Everybody knows that sports is filled with cocaine sellers and alcoholics and bums,'' said the elder Schlichter. ''He's not a bum. He's 22, and he's made a bad mistake.''

But Schlichter knew exactly what he was doing. Bookmakers don't force anyone to gamble - just as Offtrack Betting officials don't dragoon unwary pedestrians off the street and force a mutuel ticket down their throats.

Schlichter, who grew up on his parents' 1,000-acre farm in Bloomingburg, lived in an atmosphere of betting - at home, at school and as a professional football player.

His mother, Mila, owned a harness-racing horse, and his father had a box near the finish line at Scioto Downs. His football coach at Ohio State, Earle Bruce, owned a harness-racing horse, and Bruce and Schlichter would go together to Scioto Downs or to Beulah Park, where thoroughbreds ran, and place what the coach calls ''friendly'' wagers.

Schlichter also seems to have grown up in an atmosphere in which, being the ''all-American boy,'' as he is described in his biography, ''Straight Arrow,'' he was placed on a level above others, treated in the special manner of football heroes.

What appears to have been the most egregious example occurred in 1981 in Columbus, where he was given three traffic tickets for speeding over a period of 11 months. Each time, a referee in Municipal Court suspended the fines.

Every criminal has excuses and 99.9% of them are bs. Lack of control would manifest itself in many ways.....not just one. We would see problems in violence, sexual and drug taking as those are the areas where a need for impulse control is most frequent. He also has blamed his dead father for his addiction issues in an interview and right in front of his mother....this after his father had committed suicide after Schlichter had stolen about 200k from him.

They are very good at shifting blame for their bad behavior...and take special steps to cultivate a shared responsibility with close family members as to try to ensure they will be stay to help them in the future. I know of one who after his brother passed away blamed his bad behavior on his brother molesting him as a young child. Now I do not know if it happened or not..what I do know is that he had years to confront the issue while the brother was still alive...and his addictions were common knowledge. However it was not until months after his brother died did the details of this alleged molestation start to come out. Very convenient for the degenerate gambler....his sins had a boogey man to blame who could not defend himself.
You have no idea just how wrong you are.

More later, I just don't have the time right now.

Let me give you the politically correct slant on all this. You can't blame people for their addictions. It's a disease. He should be in a rehabilitation facility instead of a prison. If you don't agree with that, you are heartless - a hater.:rolleyes:

Reactions: cocky4
I'm not surprised he's in South Carolina. He's from Ohio. Everybody from Ohio with the wherewithal to leave ends up in SC or Ga. sooner or later. There are almost more people from Ohio in South Carolina or Georgia than there are from either South Carolina or Georgia.

I'm not surprised he's in South Carolina. He's from Ohio. Everybody from Ohio with the wherewithal to leave ends up in SC or Ga. sooner or later. There are almost more people from Ohio in South Carolina or Georgia than there are from either South Carolina or Georgia.
Sad, but blatantly true - Ohio and Wet Vagina (i.e. west Virginia). Damn. Just damn. My Ex-BFH is from West Virginia. I wish to God I had never met her.

ADVERTISEMENT