ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Digital TV antennas. How many channels can you get on average?

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
Thinking of dropping the current $225 AT&T Uverse Bill.
So I will have to find internet to stream and have also thought of getting an antenna for local channels.

It depends where you live. There is a site on the internet that will give you an idea of what you can get signal wise. Sorry I am not in position to post it for you.

Reactions: Judson1
I think I get all of them on mine. I seldom use it, but it's there if I need it.
I pay $45 for CenturyLink and $17 for Netflix. No commercials. I'm happy.

Reactions: Judson1
I get 35 channels off a cheap one. Picture is crystal clear. Recently bought a new tv that will pause, rewind and FF over-the-air channels. Pretty wild. Old tv wouldnt do that.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
I bought this antenna a few weeks ago while on sale for $39.(You can find similar on ebay for $40) I tried it out by just hooking it up and sitting it on the porch just to see what it would do. It got every channel except 35 and 47.. It got the rest though:6,10,12,19,25,26,54,57,63..With 35+47 my mom can get just over 70 channels. She lives between Gilbert and Leesville. Currently, she is using this antenna: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDTV-1080P...-Rotor-HD-TV-UHF-VHF-FM-150-Mile/310464020303
She gets all the above channels without having to move the antenna. It's about a good 30ft in the air. If you decide to get this ant,I will warn you to just go ahead and by a good RG6 cable because the cable that comes with it is junk and will need replacing in a year. This ant is made of plastic and will eventually go bad in a few years. Me personally i will buy the 1st one i mentioned due to the fact as you want have nothing to go bad on it.( I think anyways,its all metal) You can always add an amp if needed. Check out this guys channel, he has all the info on antennas: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCySjheRcVJ21B3Jo3HcWMTQ/videos

We get 32 channels but for some reason all of the WOLO 25 channels just stopped coming in about 2 weeks ago. We rarely watch anything on the ABC channels but still kind of annoying.

FYI, anyone advertising digital antennas are just trying to get you to buy something. TV signals use the same carrier frequency as before the switch to digital. The coding in a digital format that has nothing to do with the antenna. If you had an antenna that worked before, it will still work with the digital coded signal that we now have.

We get 32 channels but for some reason all of the WOLO 25 channels just stopped coming in about 2 weeks ago. We rarely watch anything on the ABC channels but still kind of annoying.
Try rescanning/reprogramming your TV. If you have an indoor antenna, try to put it near a window. You need to rescan each time you move the antenna. Even moving it 45 or 90 degrees could affect reception. Also, WOLO actually broadcasts on VHF Channel 7. VHF signals don't go as far as UHF. You may need an antenna with an element designed to pick up VHF signals.

Last edited:
I have a “flat” antenna that I bought at Big Lots For $10. It works great and I get about 30 or so channels including all the major ones (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, etc). I do have to move the antenna to get nbc, but it’s literally sliding it over 1 foot on the shelf. Very easy and worth it to me. We’re surrounded by trees but channels still come in clear. Most cable providers charge a local access fee. I think Spectrum tacked in something like $16 on top of the $45 cable charge to get local channels. We didn’t have a choice though, had to pay the fee.
I’ve loved the savings from cord cutting!

WOLO changed their signal a few months back, maybe in July. They had info about it on their website. We just had to rescan our TV and the channel was back. We watch WOLO often for jeopardy

Thinking of dropping the current $225 AT&T Uverse Bill.
So I will have to find internet to stream and have also thought of getting an antenna for local channels.
Hulu live- has local WLTX/WIS... I had a digital antenna once and it was garbage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT