ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Directv Now

nite2crow

Sep 11, 2000
Has anyone tried Directv Now streaming service? It sounds like a good plan but I've read some really bad reviews. Seems to be unusable much of the time.

Last edited:
I tried it and didn't like it. Biggest things for me were no DVR, limited on demand, and the guide is relatively non descriptive. I so I'm keeping PlayStation vue, although I wish they could get Comedy Centra back. And I made that decision with both at $35/mo. I think new DTVnow users would have to pay $65 for the same package.

Direct TV is the Cadillac of providers. Expensive, but the features are great. App is just OK.

I disagree about Directv being the Cadillac. I've used Directv, Comcast xfinity, and AT&T uverse. Xfinity is by far the best and it wasn't even close. Uverse was second. If you have xfinity in your area I highly recommend it. I went away from it for about five years while I tried the others and it significantly improved during that time.

I disagree about Directv being the Cadillac. I've used Directv, Comcast xfinity, and AT&T uverse. Xfinity is by far the best and it wasn't even close. Uverse was second. If you have xfinity in your area I highly recommend it. I went away from it for about five years while I tried the others and it significantly improved during that time.

DirecTV Now's competitors are Sling TV and PlayStation Vue, not the legacy providers like Comcast and AT&T. Totally different price point.

I guess it depends on what u like. The golf coverage on big tournaments is worth it for me.

DirecTV Now's competitors are Sling TV and PlayStation Vue, not the legacy providers like Comcast and AT&T. Totally different price point.

I see what you are saying about not being a direct competitor. However, is the price point really that different when you factor in paying for internet service? Most cable providers offer discounted bundles. If you add directv now and internet service you will probably end up with a similar price as a cable provider's bundle.

I see what you are saying about not being a direct competitor. However, is the price point really that different when you factor in paying for internet service? Most cable providers offer discounted bundles. If you add directv now and internet service you will probably end up with a similar price as a cable provider's bundle.
It better be a different price point or it has no reason to exist. My Vue and Internet is $75 per month tax free, less than half of what I was quoted for a promotion package with Time Warner. My Uverse promotion was nearly twice as much, and went to nearly three times as much after that ended.

It better be a different price point or it has no reason to exist. My Vue and Internet is $75 per month tax free, less than half of what I was quoted for a promotion package with Time Warner. My Uverse promotion was nearly twice as much, and went to nearly three times as much after that ended.
What is your internet service & package and does it have a cap? I'm moving & now Direct contract-free. Been looking at options & always thought I'd "cut the tv cord", but the internet packages are catching up.

What is your internet service & package and does it have a cap? I'm moving & now Direct contract-free. Been looking at options & always thought I'd "cut the tv cord", but the internet packages are catching up.
TW deal is $40 per mo for a year at 15 MBS (enough for my needs) and no cap. I feel like there is enough competition for internet to find an equivalent deal when needed. It's not like cable where they have to keep ahead of the growing cost of content.

"Unbundled" Internet is way more expensive and the price is going to skyrocket for cord-cutters.
SlingTV and Playstation Vue are great but I won't subscribe to anything I can't use with my TiVo.
Cable TV and Internet with Comcrap but buying my own hardware is cheaper than most streaming packages for what I get. The TV programming portion is $60 and I get everything, including HBO, Starz, MGM, and Universal.

You can still cut the cord and get a tv antenna to watch local channels/network affilliates. Use Sling TV, Playstation Vue, etc. to supplement OTA.
Most people are going to want internet whether or not they use an OTT streaming service like the aforementioned.

I'm on vacation in Park City and attempting to navigate Xfinity. It's horrible. DTV & TWC interface much easier to scroll thru than Xfinity and the remote is junk. Their channels are not synched correctly and a total cluster f#. Good luck trying to memorize Xfinity.

Reactions: bucketdad
Does anyone with a roku use the private channel xtv. That channel has just about
everything you need. It does have the original espn but not the others. If you have
a roku check out this channel and its free.

I'm on vacation in Park City and attempting to navigate Xfinity. It's horrible. DTV & TWC interface much easier to scroll thru than Xfinity and the remote is junk. Their channels are not synched correctly and a total cluster f#. Good luck trying to memorize Xfinity.
True. I hate how they organize channels but the new voice remote put them ahead of everyone.

My Internet is with Wow. It is 60 Mbps bandwidth and cost $43. Then I have Sling TV with the sports package add-on. It is $25. I get all the broadcast networkd in HD via an antennae for free. So for $68 I get everything I ever watched when I had some of the "cadillac" packages for half the price. And as an added bonus, I can watch any of the sling channels on my phone from anywhere. It really works well.

Sling is owned by Dish Network. So there's no reason to think that DirecTV Now won't be just as good, if not better. But Sling has a big head start. I predict that in 5-10 years, all channels will be delivered this way... No more traditional cable.

Most people these days already have internet service. If that's the case, it doesn't really factor in the price decision.

Reactions: atl-cock
Directv is great. I have the service with like 100 channels for $35 per month. I signed up during the promo but they still have a $35 package that offers a lot more than sling. Just waiting on the channel for Roku. Right now I can only get through Apple TV or computer.

I hear ya. Same thing happens to me on vacation. You don't really get how good Directv's guide channel is until you have to use something else. When I'm away, I probably miss that guide more than anything else in my house.

I hear ya. Same thing happens to me on vacation. You don't really get how good Directv's guide channel is until you have to use something else. When I'm away, I probably miss that guide more than anything else in my house.
I have a Slingbox in each house, and can watch TV remotely from the Slingbox apps on phone, table, and laptop. Slingbox, not Sling TV.

Sling has it's aggravations occasionally, but it's cheaper and has a better value of the channels I actually watch than any other cable or satellite provider I've ever used. Between Netflix, Sling, and the antenna we are fully entertained. And, yes, it's cheaper than even the bundled packages because the bundles _always_ seem to creep up over time, or charge you for extra TVs, or some other nonsense.

One other advantage to Sling, DirectvNow, and the upcoming Youtube TV is that none of these require a contract or commitment. I'm not married to Sling. When Youtube TV is up and running, I may try that for a month or two or do the same with DirectvNow. No matter what I thought of the channel content, I have NEVER EVER EVER EVER been impressed with the customer relations of any of the "Cadillac" providers. But, hey, when you are married to them with a 24 month commitment, they have you by the gonads. It's worth a lot to me to be able to cancel any service I'm displeased with hassle-free and without penalty.

SlingTV and Playstation Vue are great but I won't subscribe to anything I can't use with my TiVo.
l.

Not being smarty here, but between Netflix and the on-demand options for almost every provider out there, what's the real advantage of a TiVo or DVR at this point? The few television shows that I consider "must see" each week that come on after my relatively early bedtime all can be watched the next day (or the day after) at a more reasonable hour through the normal on-demand library on Sling. Other than live programming or the network shows that come OTA, I don't think I miss anything. What am I missing?

Not being smarty here, but between Netflix and the on-demand options for almost every provider out there, what's the real advantage of a TiVo or DVR at this point? The few television shows that I consider "must see" each week that come on after my relatively early bedtime all can be watched the next day (or the day after) at a more reasonable hour through the normal on-demand library on Sling. Other than live programming or the network shows that come OTA, I don't think I miss anything. What am I missing?
Agree. I'm surprised, but I don't miss my DVR. Plus the streaming providers are starting to offer DVR in the cloud. So, one more reason for hold outs to leave traditional cable and satellite, with their onerous contracts, in the scrap heap of history.

Good question. I don't take it as you being a smart-Alec. In all seriousness, it boils down to sports and timely access to content. There's nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, that I watch live. I even DVR all sporting events and start them late second half so I can skip commercials. I spend FAR less time in front of a TV than someone who doesn't have a DVR. If one's time isn't considered a premium then no biggie. Two things I like about TiVo:
1) One-button commercial skip. Press a single button to skip an entire commercial break.
2) Quick Mode: you can watch a show in fast forward with pitch-perfect audio.

To me, it's all about time because I don't have a ton of spare time these days.

Kind of brain dead right now, so help me ballpark something- I would like to have abc,cbs, nbc, be able to use watchespn and netfix. Charter is my internet provider. What's that gonna cost me per month?

Kind of brain dead right now, so help me ballpark something- I would like to have abc,cbs, nbc, be able to use watchespn and netfix. Charter is my internet provider. What's that gonna cost me per month?
You gotta have a subscription to ESPN thru a cable/satellite/steaming company until ESPN offers a la carte subscriptions.

You gotta have a subscription to ESPN thru a cable/satellite/steaming company until ESPN offers a la carte subscriptions.
That's why one of the "big providers" still has me by the balls.
But all my kids are cord free!

It won't be long before ESPN/Disney/etc see the light. The big providers will at some point have to go al a carte or take a huge hit

About time somebody busted up their monopolies!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT