ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Does anyone have a late model Honda self propelled mower with the smart drive variable speed

cockn'fyr

Mar 26, 2006
control, are you happy with it? I recently purchased one and it just seems to jump out from under me and I'm just wondering, do you think I got a bad one! The variable speed just doesn't seem to be there, it's either stop or go full speed!

control, are you happy with it? I recently purchased one and it just seems to jump out from under me and I'm just wondering, do you think I got a bad one! The variable speed just doesn't seem to be there, it's either stop or go full speed!
sounds like the device that engages the drive belt may need loosening a bit

Reactions: cockn'fyr
I cannot help you with your question, because I don't like self propelled; however, Honda push mowers are the best. I've had two over the past 15 years, and they take a beating and keep going. They always start up immediately after sitting all winter. The only reason I've had two is that the engine and blade literally fell out of the first one I used it so much. They metal of the body wore through before the engine went.

I have one, it's about 5 years old. There's a lever under the handlebar, in the center, that you push with your thumb. Mine seems to work well. Here in central TX, with heat similar to Cola, i keep my grass high and cut it when it's high, so i barely push the lever and it goes slow.

Is it rear wheel drive or front?

I bought one 2 years ago. Best mower I've ever owned. Does yours have the thumb activated paddle control in the middle of the handle? And here's the best advice I can provide: always use ethanol free gas (your equipment will last a long, long time). It makes a huge difference.

I gave up my aging gas push mower and got an EGO electric/battery push. Holy cow I wish I made the move sooner. It’s light, super quiet (sounds like fan running), does a great job bagging & mulching, recharges super fast, battery lasts about as long as I need to finish my yard front & back, and has a super bright set of headlights so I can cut at night when it’s cooler.

I gave up my aging gas push mower and got an EGO electric/battery push. Holy cow I wish I made the move sooner. It’s light, super quiet (sounds like fan running), does a great job bagging & mulching, recharges super fast, battery lasts about as long as I need to finish my yard front & back, and has a super bright set of headlights so I can cut at night when it’s cooler.

Go on...

How big is your yard? My lot is about 1/5 an acre on a corner and mostly grass. It takes a while to mow it. I'm intrigued but would hate to buy a mower that will not even get me all the way through my yard.

It looks like you can get a second battery, but the thing costs almost as much as my current mower. Still, I'm intrigued.

If you end up taking it back, I'd suggest looking at a Cub Cadet with MySpeed technology. Effortless at any pace... it's all in the touch. It's got about six speeds and senses which one you want through pressure anywhere on the handle. Fourth year using mine... I'm done with anything else. In fact if it wasn't for this mower, my mowing days would probably be over.

Well, full disclosure, I already took it back and it was the second one! I had the same basic model for 12-15 years and just couldn't wear it out, that's why I just went with another Honda without doing the research that I normally do when I'm purchasing something that needs to last a while! So when I after the return I started doing myy' research and just about every site recommends the exact same mower! I bet it's that tight throttle linkage as some have suggested and it just needs to be tweaked! Some times the big box stores are more trouble than there worth, but I should have called Honda and asked before I jumped to conclusions, lesson learned!

Well, not knowing anything about the size or grade of your yard or your physical condition, I'd suggest just getting the non-self propelled version. There are less working parts to break, and you'll get a little more exercise.

Reactions: Out of Conference
Cuanto?

Go on...

How big is your yard? My lot is about 1/5 an acre on a corner and mostly grass. It takes a while to mow it. I'm intrigued but would hate to buy a mower that will not even get me all the way through my yard.
I have about a quarter acre- it’s pretty flat. They make the self-propelled model but my gas one wasn’t so I didn’t get it for the EGO.

Reactions: Sulayman
It looks like you can get a second battery, but the thing costs almost as much as my current mower. Still, I'm intrigued.
Yeah- batteries aren’t cheap, but the secret is to just buy another EGO lawn tool (blower, weed eater, etc) and then you have 2 batteries although the second battery with the blower or weed eater will only give you half the time per charge. With my battery (the 5.0 Ah - or whatever the units are) lasts about 45-60 minutes depending on how tall or wet the grass is, and takes 30-45 to fully recharge. If I need a recharge to finish I use that time to get a beer or cool off if I’m cutting in the heat.

Reactions: Sulayman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT