ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Does anyone have any used car dealer recommendations for trading in an older model vehical

cockn'fyr

Mar 26, 2006
and getting good trade in value in the Columbia area?

Very inexperienced at this! TIA

my father in law is a used car salesman and like the above poster said, you're better off selling it yourself on craigslist or newspaper. Used car dealerships are in it to make money. Their not going to give you an offer to where they can't make money for it at the auction which is where 75% of trade ins go. In saying that, if your car is in great shape and a newer model they may keep it on the lot and try to flip it quick. Check the black book for your car value before doing anything, don't go by the KBB. Hope this helps a little.

Reactions: king ward
my father in law is a used car salesman and like the above poster said, you're better off selling it yourself on craigslist or newspaper. Used car dealerships are in it to make money. Their not going to give you an offer to where they can't make money for it at the auction which is where 75% of trade ins go. In saying that, if your car is in great shape and a newer model they may keep it on the lot and try to flip it quick. Check the black book for your car value before doing anything, don't go by the KBB. Hope this helps a little.
Good call on the Kelly blue book. It is a joke. Dealers use that NADA yellow book.

Reactions: Cock_Donor
Any car dealer has one thing in mind when they see you have a trade; Steal it from you.

If you have the will, and time for the hassle (sometimes, sometimes it can be easy), as recommended above, sell it yourself. Me, I hate trying to sell a car and deal with people, so I usually opt for fighting for every penny with a dealer. I kind-of enjoy that. Maybe I'm weird. :p

1995 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4wd, my mechanic says it's to the point of diminishing returns! Yeah, I always sell on the open market when I do this, but this time I have to make a pretty quick turn around.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4wd, my mechanic says it's to the point of diminishing returns! Yeah, I always sell on the open market when I do this, but this time I have to make a pretty quick turn around.

For a 22 year old car, I can't see that you are going to get enough for it to make a huge difference. I agree with the posters above, sell it yourself. Take a couple of pics and post it on craigslist. My son posted his F-150 and after he changed to a realistic price, he sold it in 2 hours.

The other thing you could do is clean it up and park it near a high school with a For Sale sign. It will sell because kids love the Jeep Cherokee.

The dealer wants to make money on the front and the back if they can - but if not both then they want to make it on one or the other - if they give into a demand for more on the trade then they will just not make as much concession on sales price and/or try to sell you an overpriced warranty or overpriced gap protection or etch or tire replacement or a puddy from Seinfeld floor mat charge

Guys revisiting this subject, after a two week search for a sub $9,000 of the Columbia area with absolutely zero luck we stumble on an excellent dealer on Craigslist in the Irmo area of town at Decker Auto Mart. Kevin Hunsaker could not have been easier to work with and when there was a small issue with the car after the sale that was a major concern for my daughter Kevin took care of it no questions asked. So if you're in the market for a nice used car for someone in your family and you want to buy from someone you can trust check Kevin's inventory out!

Reactions: rogue cock
Depending on the age of the car, you might be better off selling the car instead of trading it.
That is most likely to case. If you don't have the yen for selling and buying, get a friend who does to sell it for you and give him an appropriate commission. Sometimes, Used car dealers will put cars on their lots for people - for a commission unless they are very close friends with the seller. Anyhow, selling is almost always better than trading from a financial standpoint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT