ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Does anyone on here have property on the Broad River?

TheReelEss

Feb 3, 2005
I kayak fish and I've never caught a smallmouth. They're in the Broad R, but access is very limited. If you know of access points on the east side, that would be most helpful as well.
TIA

I kayak fish and I've never caught a smallmouth. They're in the Broad R, but access is very limited. If you know of access points on the east side, that would be most helpful as well.
TIA

You can access the Broad River out by the town of Peak.

Reactions: TheReelEss
TIA
I can take you.

TIA

Nice !! Got my first big Tarpon out of Hobie this year . Really fun and really horrifying at the same time . You guys come down to the Panhandle and I’ll put you on some 40+ Jack Crevelles in the Yak . They will drag you for Miles !!! Good luck

Dude, theres tons of access near Chester, Woods Ferry, Newberry. I kayak it for smallmouth.

Reactions: PC31
You guys ever fish Bushy Park on the lower Cooper River?? Big Fish there during the spawn . They stack up in those old flooded Rice fields and are hard to get to even with a trolling motor . Perfect for the kayak . Loved fishing that when I lived in SC .

Reactions: TheReelEss
TIA

What kinda Yak are you fishing ?? Picked up a Pro Angler from a military kid who was getting Deployed last summer and it’s an amazing boat . Really heavy but by far my favorite .

What kinda Yak are you fishing ?? Picked up a Pro Angler from a military kid who was getting Deployed last summer and it’s an amazing boat . Really heavy but by far my favorite .
I recently bought a used Feelfree Lure 13.5. It's pretty dang heavy as well, but it has a wheel built into the keel that helps a lot in moving it around. It came already rigged with a fishfinder/GPS and solar battery recharger.

I still have my first kayak as well. It's a Perception Pescador 12'. It's not a bad kayak, but a little on the cheap side. I'll keep it though because it's lighter and more nimble and there is one place I fish with a lot of flooded timber that was cut off right at full pond water level. I'll bet it's 40 lbs lighter than the Lure.

Last edited:
Dude, theres tons of access near Chester, Woods Ferry, Newberry. I kayak it for smallmouth.
I see Woods Ferry on the map. That would be a good place for me. On my side of the river. It's a bit of a long drive, but any drive to the Broad is going to be more than an hour for me.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I recently bought a used Feelfree Lure 13.5. It's pretty dang heavy as well, but it has a wheel built into the keel that helps a lot in moving it around. It came already rigged with a fishfinder/GPS and solar battery recharger.

I still have my first kayak as well. It's a Perception Pescador 12'.It's not a bad kayak, but a little on the cheap side. I'll keep it though because it's lightwer and more nimble and there is one place I fish with a lot of flooded timber that was cut off right at full pond water level. I'll bet it's 40 lbs lighter than the Lure.

Yeah I have a Perception Tarpon 2 that I love . Very light and a great shallow water craft . It gets a little tipsy sometimes . I do a lot of near shore stuff trolling for Kings and Blackfins and it can get a little dicey in the Tarpon 2. That Pro Angler is a tank . I’ll pedal it anywhere . Good luck . Heard about those smallies in the Broad river but never fished them . Sounds like a blast

Yeah I have a Perception Tarpon 2 that I love . Very light and a great shallow water craft . It gets a little tipsy sometimes . I do a lot of near shore stuff trolling for Kings and Blackfins and it can get a little dicey in the Tarpon 2. That Pro Angler is a tank . I’ll pedal it anywhere . Good luck . Heard about those smallies in the Broad river but never fished them . Sounds like a blast
The Perception Pescador that I have is actually the old Wilderness Tarpon mold so it's very similar. Interestingly, the Pescador on the Perception site has been upgraded. But the one on Academy Sports site still looks exactly like mine that's about 6 years old. I suspect the one on Academy's site is an exclusive deal they have with Perception.

I just wanted one you could use in the colder months without getting wet.

The Perception Pescador that I have is actually the old Wilderness Tarpon mold so it's very similar. Interestingly, the Pescador on the Perception site has been upgraded. But the one on Academy Sports site still looks exactly like mine that's about 6 years old. I suspect the one on Academy's site is an exclusive deal they have with Perception.

I just wanted one you could use in the colder months without getting wet.

Are any of your boats Pedal drive ?? Bro that’s a game changer . Finally bit the bullet and dropped the cash on the Pro Angler with the Mirage Drive and it’s tough fishing without the pedal drive now . So much fun . If you ever get down to the Panhandle PM me and I’ll put you on some Bull Reds and Jacks . Nothing like watching a 30lb Redfish smash a popper . Good luck on the Smallmouths !!

Are any of your boats Pedal drive ?? Bro that’s a game changer . Finally bit the bullet and dropped the cash on the Pro Angler with the Mirage Drive and it’s tough fishing without the pedal drive now . So much fun . If you ever get down to the Panhandle PM me and I’ll put you on some Bull Reds and Jacks . Nothing like watching a 30lb Redfish smash a popper . Good luck on the Smallmouths !!
That sounds like fun!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT