ADVERTISEMENT

OT: favorite place for a cold one in Columbia?

Very OT but... what ever happen to the Palmetto Sandwich Shop? Along with Grouchos and Sherlock Holmes Pub, I had to go to that place every week.

Columbia Brewing Co., Art Bar, and then Have A Nice Day Cafe....our group's weekly ritual.
Is JD STICKYS still around?

hipster-trap.jpg

Reactions: vehemon
Check out the comments. It's hilarious. I can't believe the author actually put Flying Saucer for TN.
Yeah, it's an odd choice but maybe an oddly cool choice. I don't mind The Whig the few times I've been there, but I don't think it would come close to qualifying as the best "college bar" in SC even though I'd probably be much more comfortable in The Whig than the best 100 "college bars" in SC.

Yeah, it's an odd choice but maybe an oddly cool choice. I don't mind The Whig the few times I've been there, but I don't think it would come close to qualifying as the best "college bar" in SC even though I'd probably be much more comfortable in The Whig than the best 100 "college bars" in SC.
'College bar' is probably a little different to everyone.

When I think college bar, I immediately imagine something a little grimy and has cheap beer.

Dr. Roccos, Group Therapy, and Bar None were my college bars when I went to USC.
Gator City in Gainesville
Angry Ales in Charlotte

I can't remember any of the other bars I went to in other college towns.

'College bar' is probably a little different to everyone.

When I think college bar, I immediately imagine something a little grimy and has cheap beer.

Dr. Roccos, Group Therapy, and Bar None were my college bars when I went to USC.
Gator City in Gainesville
Angry Ales in Charlotte

I can't remember any of the other bars I went to in other college towns.

Exactly. Those bars you listed in bold are what I think of when I think of "college bars." The Whig is a a hipster dive - perfectly fine place - but just a strange choice especially on a list which also contains Flying Saucer, which would be a hipster no-no.

Reactions: vehemon
Very OT but... what ever happen to the Palmetto Sandwich Shop? Along with Grouchos and Sherlock Holmes Pub, I had to go to that place every week.

Went to Palmetto one day a couple of years ago and there was a sign on the door, "Gone fishing." Think the owner, who always looked bored out of his gourd just got worn down.

I grew up right across the street from the original owner of Vellas. Never knew it until he passed away.

Did you know he also played QB for the Gamecocks? Way way back in the day..

I think he was originally from Chicago...and being of Italian decent might have had a few "connections" .. but all that aside he was a huge Gamecock fan and supporter and a pretty cool guy..i was in his house many times as he was in mine

Did you know he also played QB for the Gamecocks? Way way back in the day..

I think he was originally from Chicago...and being of Italian decent might have had a few "connections" .. but all that aside he was a huge Gamecock fan and supporter and a pretty cool guy..i was in his house many times as he was in mine
You talking about Pat Vella? I don't think that's who lived in that house. It was the first guy that was an 'owner'. I don't think Vella ever owned the restaurant outright. A little annoyed I can't remember his name.

You talking about Pat Vella? I don't think that's who lived in that house. It was the first guy that was an 'owner'. I don't think Vella ever owned the restaurant outright. A little annoyed I can't remember his name.

Yes..talking about Pat Vella. Not sure what house you are talking about..but as far as I know Pat Vella was indeed the first owner of Vella's Deli....and Vella's shopping center....and before that he owned and operated a little store on the corner of 9th St. and Knox Abbott Dr. .. you could go in his store and play parlay cards..and maybe place a wager or two....yeah, he owned that corner ever since i can remember..and he developed the shopping center..i'm certain he was the original owner of the deli...i recall ordering many pastrami on pumpernickel sandwiches from him :)

Last edited:
Yes..talking about Pat Vella. Not sure what house you are talking about..but as far as I know Pat Vella was indeed the first owner of Vella's Deli....and Vella's shopping center....and before that he owned and operated a little store on the corner of 9th St. and Knox Abbott Dr. .. you could go in his store and play parlay cards..and maybe place a wager or two....yeah, he owned that corner ever since i can remember..and he developed the shopping center..i'm certain he was the original owner of the deli...i recall ordering many pastrami on pumpernickel sandwiches from him :)
Wasn't there a Vella's in Cayce or W. Columbia? Many went there for the steak sandwiches and to play the "cards."

Went to Palmetto one day a couple of years ago and there was a sign on the door, "Gone fishing." Think the owner, who always looked bored out of his gourd just got worn down.
That place has been closed for many years. I used to work with the owner's dad. I do miss their cheeseburger basket with sweet tea.

That's the new location. It moved there in the mid to late 90's. Its previous location was a tiny place near or on College St off Harden. It was called, "The Pub" at that location though its official name was The Publick House like it is now.

That's the new location. It moved there in the mid to late 90's. Its previous location was a tiny place near or on College St off Harden. It was called, "The Pub" at that location though its official name was The Publick House like it is now.
The original Publick House location was on Senate Street. Everyone called it The Pub then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT