ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Favorite restaurant meal in Cola

Hard to beat fried chicken at The Thicket. Anything from Zorba's in Irmo. Their pizza for game day were always the best. Restaurant on Devine back in the day with Salmon Eggs Benedict for a hangover cure at Sunday morning brunch. Cheese burger basket from Rush. Burger from Rockaways.

those trucks that show up in five points at 2:01AM
or
Hemingways or Schooners in irmo

My memories could be clouded by Gamecock sporting events.

Saky, Julia's Stammtisch, Motor Supply, & DiPratos for me. On the everyday side, hard to beat Labrasca's with a side cheese salad and a pitcher of beer or some Andy's / Grouchos after a late night. I was a valued customer at D's on Beltline during my high school and college years as well. Not a huge epicurean.

Mine would be a pimento cheeseburger with pimento cheese fries and a basket of fried okra at Rockaway's. Love that place!

1) Sato’s extra appetizer shrimp/vegetables and filet. Tons of orange sauce and hot sauce.

2) Alodia’s. Filet medallion app., calamari app. & fettuccine Alfredo with grilled chicken.

3) Cola’s. Shrimp and risotto cake app., crispy flounder. Almond basket with sorbet.

4) Mr. Friendly’s. Filet with pimento cheese.

5) Spotted Salamander. Crispy chicken sandwich on Tuesday’s and literally anything else on the menu. By far best place in town for lunch.

6) iL Giorgione. Charcuterie board, any pasta dish.

7) DiPrato’s. Brunch French toast and potato cheese casserole.

8) Basil. Tom Kha Gai (soup) Thai hot.

9) Vella’s. All u can eat crab legs.

10) Julia's. Pork Schintzel or Beef Rouladen.

11) Cantina 76. Peruvian shrimp taco’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCDuke15
Hard to beat fried chicken at The Thicket. Anything from Zorba's in Irmo. Their pizza for game day were always the best. Restaurant on Devine back in the day with Salmon Eggs Benedict for a hangover cure at Sunday morning brunch. Cheese burger basket from Rush. Burger from Rockaways.

Have you ever had the fried chicken at Palmetto Pig? It's the best in town I think, don't really care for their BBQ. Best BBQ Bone-In by the new baseball stadium (Benjamin's Boondogle), brisket is insane.

Columbia doesn’t have the quantity or quality of higher end restaurants that we have in Charlotte or Charleston, Greenville and even MB. Maybe the downtown developments will attract them. With that said, some of my Columbia favorites are:

Upscale: Motor City Supply
Zesto’s West Columbia for their fried chicken. Cole slaw is good too.
Wings: Wings and Ale now that you can’t smoke inside
BBQ: Little Pigs on Alpine Road

Saky, Julia's Stammtisch, Motor Supply, & DiPratos for me. On the everyday side, hard to beat Labrasca's with a side cheese salad and a pitcher of beer or some Andy's / Grouchos after a late night. I was a valued customer at D's on Beltline during my high school and college years as well. Not a huge epicurean.
Yeah, Dipratos is the bomb.

Inexpensive: A Poke' Bowl at Freshe Poke' on Huger Street.
Expensive: Motor Supply Co. Bistro - the menu changes daily, so the favorite will vary.

Anyone who says there are no good restaurants in Columbia, needs to get out more.

Anybody else remember the spiced iced tea they used to have at Groucho's ? I loved it but I guess not enough people ordered it.

Just about anything at Pawleys Front Porch and the California Dreaming salad.

1) Pork belly taco from White Duck.
2) Atomic dragon roll from Inakaya Watanabe.

Best restaurant is Motor Supply. Best places for lunch are DiPrato's and Spotted Salamander.

1 Julia's Stammisch for hearty filling meal
2 Burgers I like Henrys on Devine
3 Shrimp and grits at Blue Marlin and fried shrimp aren't far behind
4 Pizza or Calzone it Dano's for me
5 Chicken Parm it's gotta be Rossos at Trenholm Plaza

Steak is the one big item I really wish Columbia had like they do in Knoxville at Ye Old Steakhouse or Drovers in Omaha good eating

BBQ is another whole page discussion lol

1) Sato’s extra appetizer shrimp/vegetables and filet. Tons of orange sauce and hot sauce.

2) Alodia’s. Filet medallion app., calamari app. & fettuccine Alfredo with grilled chicken.

3) Cola’s. Shrimp and risotto cake app., crispy flounder. Almond basket with sorbet.

4) Mr. Friendly’s. Filet with pimento cheese.

5) Spotted Salamander. Crispy chicken sandwich on Tuesday’s and literally anything else on the menu. By far best place in town for lunch.

6) iL Giorgione. Charcuterie board, any pasta dish.

7) DiPrato’s. Brunch French toast and potato cheese casserole.

8) Basil. Tom Kha Gai (soup) Thai hot.

9) Vella’s. All u can eat crab legs.

10) Julia's. Pork Schintzel or Beef Rouladen.

11) Cantina 76. Peruvian shrimp taco’s.

Finally someone who seems to have some taste! I have lived here over 20 years but you gave me a few new suggestions to try...
Everyone who said “wings from___” or “Lizard’s Thicket”- WTF ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE?!? Seriously?!? Get out there and try some GOOD places... SMH

Best meals in Columbia?
Two of my top 5 came from Bourbon. Get whatever special they have for the day with seafood and their crispy brussel Sprouts, frequently paired with some sort of root vegetable hash... the sides alone make it amazing! The wreck fish I had my first visit there was the best piece of fish I ever ordered at a restaurant. Oh an BOUDAN BALLS!! Best Collards I ever had!!

Cola’s filet may be the best steak in town. PERIOD.

Coa- best Mexican food you probably ever had anywhere- Carnitas will blow you TF away and their cocktails are the best in the city! Sit at the bar, the bartenders all know their shit! This is a sister restaurant to Salud in Camden, also an indescribably wonderful place to eat!

Lower end foods:
Burgers- Rockaways or Kingsman. Probably a lean to Kingsman recently.

Wings- River Rat may be my favorites now. Smoked wings with a great char, great flavor but they are ACTUALLY COOKED! I cannot stand somebody serving me a wing that is FN RAW and saying “well it is smoked so it is supposed to be like that”- MFER I know the difference between COOKED AND RAW, THIS IS STILL BLEEDING!! Go to Hometeam BBQ and learn how it is supposed to be done!

There is a kind of new/ hidden away place that is pretty good nobody has mentioned- War Mouth over on N Main! BBQ is ok, good deviled eggs which you never see on a menu, they change the menu up often... worth a visit.. also very good cocktails.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
We ate at Sure Fire Tacos in the vista for lunch last Friday. The food was pretty good (not great), but the people working in there were really unfriendly. It was also overpriced.

Lunch- 1a: The Gormet Shop (chx salad or Roast Beef)
1b) DiPrato's (pimento cheese)

Dinner- Alodia's or Terra

Reactions: coolcock2001
Lunch- 1a: The Gormet Shop (chx salad or Roast Beef)
1b) DiPrato's (pimento cheese)

Dinner- Alodia's or Terra

Brunched at DiPrato's Saturday. That's always a safe bet. I like Michael's on Main for brunch as well. I hear The Grand has a good menu, but haven't tried it yet.
I'm just at the point where I'm having fun trying the new places opening up, and varying my dinner choices.

If we want to talk about my all time favorite meal in Columbia, I have to go with my heart and Villa Tronco. I love everything on their menu, and have been going there for as long as I can remember. I miss going to the old Capital Cafe. My parents and I would go there for brunch after early Mass at St. Peter's many a Sunday growing up.

And let's be honest...we ALL look forward to the Greek Festival each September. All diets are destroyed in those 4 days.

Only new Asian food of any sort I am aware of in the Vista is 929, which is good! Not Thai though, deff Korean.
This joint just opened a week ago: https://www.facebook.com/kaothaicola/

On Senate Street across from Tin Roof in the renovated old fire station building. It was middle of the road Thai I'd say but there wasn't already a Thai place down there so good to add the option.

What was wrong with the 929 place?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT