ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fighter jets around Columbia

cockgun

Aug 3, 2002
Over the last several weeks, I have noticed a good deal of activity, especially as it pertains to McEntire based F-16's, all Block 52 models. For example, today alone, I have had several formations fly over my house. I also have a house on Lake Murray and last Thursday, caught four F-15's, most likely out of Seymour Johnson AFB, located in eastern NC, screaming overhead at about 1,200 ft and flying at an accelerated speed. It was truly a scene to have witnessed. There is a bomb range in SE Georgia known as Townsend Bomb Range and I suspect that all of this activity is headed there. Anyhow, I am curious if other people around that state have noticed this increased activity. Thanks.

An Apache helicopter landed at the field by Blatt PE Center on campus last Thursday -- that was part of a demonstration by ROTC though

Reactions: jedi_mike
I saw a Southwest Airlines plane take off from Shaw last week. Never seen that before.

Chasing UFOs. (Or, UAPs as they are now called.)

Years ago I was playing golf at Sedgewood out on the Sumter Highway just a few miles from McEntire. We saw a formation of F-16s fly over and I raised my club up as if it was a weapon and pretended to shoot at them. They were not very low and heading west. As we watched, all three of them made hard left turns and came back toward us at a low altitude. We were standing in the fairway of #10 which is at the top of a hill. As we watched, they flew past us at no more than 500 feet above the trees and banked hard left. They were so close I could see the top of the pilot's helmet. They then resumed their westward flight and disappeared. We stood there in awe for a few minutes. It is hard to believe that a manmade piece of equipment could fly like that and at that speed.

Reactions: jedi_mike
They fly training flights over Lake Murray frequently. Sometimes low, fast, with full afterburner. Sometimes they are armed, either live r dummy rounds. It is certainly impressive.

Chasing UFOs. (Or, UAPs as they are now called.)

Years ago I was playing golf at Sedgewood out on the Sumter Highway just a few miles from McEntire. We saw a formation of F-16s fly over and I raised my club up as if it was a weapon and pretended to shoot at them. They were not very low and heading west. As we watched, all three of them made hard left turns and came back toward us at a low altitude. We were standing in the fairway of #10 which is at the top of a hill. As we watched, they flew past us at no more than 500 feet above the trees and banked hard left. They were so close I could see the top of the pilot's helmet. They then resumed their westward flight and disappeared. We stood there in awe for a few minutes. It is hard to believe that a manmade piece of equipment could fly like that and at that speed.
A friend of mine from work invited me to play at ft Jackson about 5 years ago,needless to say it was kinda nerve racking there for bit with machine guns going off and jets flying over.lol.

An Apache helicopter landed at the field by Blatt PE Center on campus last Thursday -- that was part of a demonstration by ROTC though
When my son was in coach’s pitch baseball an Apache helicopter would come by just about every time he had a practice for a while .it would come with in about a 1/4 mile and just hover for a few minutes and leave.this was in Gilbert.

Reactions: 92Pony
Over the last several weeks, I have noticed a good deal of activity, especially as it pertains to McEntire based F-16's, all Block 52 models. For example, today alone, I have had several formations fly over my house. I also have a house on Lake Murray and last Thursday, caught four F-15's, most likely out of Seymour Johnson AFB, located in eastern NC, screaming overhead at about 1,200 ft and flying at an accelerated speed. It was truly a scene to have witnessed. There is a bomb range in SE Georgia known as Townsend Bomb Range and I suspect that all of this activity is headed there. Anyhow, I am curious if other people around that state have noticed this increased activity. Thanks.
Not to worry, just practicing urban renewal maneuvers.

Reactions: lilburncock
They are headed to the sand box for a few months. Normal rotation. This is the McEntire F-16s.

Reactions: 92Pony
I spent 3 1/2 years at Shaw from '67-'72. Had F-4's back then. My boss was a civilian lady. She is still in Sumter, age 92 now. We go visit with her occasionally. Just a great Lady.

Me and the guys was out playing golf last week and couple flew over.I told them I don’t see how people live in a war torn country could take it all the time.it defiantly would drive me crazy. I feel for the people that have to live in crap like that.

I had 2 cool experiences with military craft.

When I was young, seems like late 70’s, the A10 Warthog had just come on line. Me and a couple of friends were walking the edge of a field in Lee County near Lucknow when from out of nowhere came this weird looking machine right over the pines and dipped down lower. We thought he was going to dust the field. It was almost silent until he got right to us. We were in awe.

Just about 5 years ago I was camping on a friend’s property in Kershaw county. We were sitting around the fire at about 1 AM when we noticed a disturbance at the far end of his pond. Next thing we know two Apaches come over us at treetop level with no lights on at all. They banked up and climbed in a zig zag pattern, we could see fairly well because the moon was bright. Following tightly behind them was a small chopper with a flashing fed light on his tail.

I spent 3 1/2 years at Shaw from '67-'72. Had F-4's back then. My boss was a civilian lady. She is still in Sumter, age 92 now. We go visit with her occasionally. Just a great Lady.
Used to see A-7’s flying over lake Wateree back in the 60’s and possibly the early 70’s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT