ADVERTISEMENT

OT: First time reporting rental income

sclawman77

Jun 27, 2011
I know Google is my friend and there are tax experts to consult with as well. Anyone very familiar with reporting rental income on tax returns? I know depreciation and improvements can be deducted. I hope I don't get nailed too bad. I had to pay for the first time ever on 2015's return due to multiple exemptions (we've since adjusted) used by my wife and me. Hoping the damage isn't worse for 2016 due to the rental income.

I know Google is my friend and there are tax experts to consult with as well. Anyone very familiar with reporting rental income on tax returns? I know depreciation and improvements can be deducted. I hope I don't get nailed too bad. I had to pay for the first time ever on 2015's return due to multiple exemptions (we've since adjusted) used by my wife and me. Hoping the damage isn't worse for 2016 due to the rental income.
On this hire a CPA. You can write off expenses directly related to the ownership and rental of the property (Management fees, property taxes, repairs and maintenance), Improvements will generally have to be taken over several years. It is also typically a passive activity, so you may be limited in other deductions you can make. Seriously, hire a CPA to do your taxes until you feel comfortable enough to do them yourself.

You looked at schedule E? Not hard if you know how depreciation is calculated. And if you have a loss it could be deferred if your income is high enough.

Just use TurboTax. It'll do the depreciation deductions automatically and transfer them from year to year for you. I have three properties and it does all of them in a snap.

Just do what 90% of Americans do - CHEAT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT