ADVERTISEMENT

OT: For the bourbon drinkers...

olpolecat

Sep 24, 2019
So, I have recently discovered my love for bourbon, but have not tried many and am looking to expand my small collection. What are y'alls favorites?

I love Bulleit, Maker's, Makers 46. I'm not going much higher-shelf than that. Tin Cup isn't a bourbon, but it's a good midshelf whiskey.
I'm a craft beer guy. I don't keep whiskey around because I drink it like beer. I usually have Evan Williams with ginger ale and lime. That's my go-to.

Woodford Reserve is one of my favorites that you will find virtually anywhere. It may not be as good as the $500 a bottle stuff some people seem to get excited about but I have never in my life sampled a spirit of any sort where the 1,000% price increase from “good” to the upper crust stuff was anywhere near worth it.

Bulliet rye is solid as well, around the same price point.

four-roses-single-barrel-kentucky-straight-bourbon-1_2.jpg

I also have taken recent interest and like bourbon with a shot of water. I have Bulleit, Makers Mark, and Four Roses small batch. I’ve been reading a little on the subject but have a lot to learn. Those fall in the right price range for me.

Buffalo Trace. I got a liter for Christmas last year and was hooked.

I love Bulleit, Maker's, Makers 46. I'm not going much higher-shelf than that. Tin Cup isn't a bourbon, but it's a good midshelf whiskey.
I'm a craft beer guy. I don't keep whiskey around because I drink it like beer. I usually have Evan Williams with ginger ale and lime. That's my go-to.

Back in my youth I drank Wild Turkey but one time I was at a tailgate and someone offered me Evan Williams (I think) and I just remembered it tasting very good and it seemed like it had just a touch of a sweet taste if I remember correctly.

But since then I have gone back to my roots and drink V.O. when I do drink.

Reactions: TheReelEss
Do yourself a favor and try Henry Mc Kenna, Buffalo trace,Four Roses ,makers Mark are all good,but for the price Henry McKenna is excellent

Basil Hayden, Weller, Knob Creek (both bourbon & Rye), Redemption Rye.
I usually stick with the above. You can buy a much more expensive Rye than Redemption, but if your using it for Manhattans or Old Fashioned you won't do much better.

Back in my youth I drank Wild Turkey but one time I was at a tailgate and someone offered me Evan Williams (I think) and I just remembered it tasting very good and it seemed like it had just a touch of a sweet taste if I remember correctly.

But since then I have gone back to my roots and drink V.O. when I do drink.
It's the best cheap bourbon I know of. I think it's a touch better than Beam and Jack for le$$.

My favorite for the moneys that you can find most places is Eagle Rate and four roses single barrel.
I also like Weller Antique 107 but that’s hard to find. Buffalo Trace is great value too.

Reactions: rogue cock
Basil Hayden, Weller, Knob Creek (both bourbon & Rye), Redemption Rye.
I usually stick with the above. You can buy a much more expensive Rye than Redemption, but if your using it for Manhattans or Old Fashioned you won't do much better.
As for rye's, agree on Redemption. Also got a bottle of Pikesville for Christmas that I really like.

Woodford Reserve is one of my favorites that you will find virtually anywhere. It may not be as good as the $500 a bottle stuff some people seem to get excited about but I have never in my life sampled a spirit of any sort where the 1,000% price increase from “good” to the upper crust stuff was anywhere near worth it.

Bulliet rye is solid as well, around the same price point.

Yes sir . Don’t get much better than Woodford . My buddy had some “Peanut Butter” flavored Bourbon over the holidays . Sounded awful but it was insanely good . Best stuff I’ve had in years , Don’t know the brand but it was some of the best sipping whiskey I’ve ever had .

Whistle Pig (it’s worth it), the boss hog is a bit pricey, the old world 12 is incredible
Blantons gold 10.5 of 10(had to order it internationally)
Regular Blantons 9.875 (getting harder to find)
Chicken Cock 9.75
Weller
Old forester (particularly birthday if you can find it)

Go to Husk in Charleston

Yes sir . Don’t get much better than Woodford . My buddy had some “Peanut Butter” flavored Bourbon over the holidays . Sounded awful but it was insanely good . Best stuff I’ve had in years , Don’t know the brand but it was some of the best sipping whiskey I’ve ever had .

the moment you flavor it it becomes a whiskey & is no longer a bourbon. It’s the law

So many bourbons so little time! Wolf Bros. pecan bourbon is excellent!

Whistle Pig (it’s worth it), the boss hog is a bit pricey, the old world 12 is incredible
Chicken Cock 9.75
Weller

Go to Husk in Charleston
Weller's is the best IMO, other than Pappy's.

Try Elmer Lee. A little bit different flavor, but still top notch.

Maker's Mark.
I have Woodford’s, Makers 46 and Makers Mark in my bar. My favorite is Makers Mark.
It is smoother than 46, I drink it on the rocks, so smooth is important.
I’ve been to the Samuels Distillery in Kentucky and have my own signature bottle
of Makers.

Reactions: USC1st
Chicken Cock 9.75
Weller

Go to Husk in Charleston
Where do you order from

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT