ADVERTISEMENT

OT: For the bourbon drinkers...

Let me ask everyone this simple question about bourbon.
Back 50 years ago the most popular bourbon around was Wild Turkey. It was the liquor of choice. I drank it when I lived in Greenville, I and everyone else drank it when I moved to NC. The plant I work at was a new plant for the company and we had people from all over that had transferred from other plants from the Chicago area, Mississippi, SC, and Arkansas and most of them drank Wild Turkey, if they were bourbon drinkers.

Now that's a long story but is Wild Turkey now considered "rot gut" bourbon?

Last edited:
Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Back 50 years ago the most popular bourbon around was Wild Turkey. It was the liquor of choice. I drank it when I lived in Greenville, I and everyone else drank it when I moved to NC. The plant I work at was a new plant for the company and we had people from all over that had transferred from other plants from the Chicago area, Mississippi, SC, and Arkansas and most of them drank Wild Turkey, if they were bourbon drinkers.

its a solid classic, and the 101 is very strong. The regular Jim beam is more entry level & .there’s more in that camp. Bourbon is going through a wine crazy type cycle and folks are buying the higher end at a crazy pace

You should do the bourbon trail. I've done it twice. Seeing the history and tradition behind these great bourbons will make you appreciate them even more.

Personally, I like Woodford Reserve, but while you're on the trail try the 15 to 20 year old Pappy Van Winkle.

You should do the bourbon trail. I've done it twice. Seeing the history and tradition behind these great bourbons will make you appreciate them even more.

Personally, I like Woodford Reserve, but while you're on the trail try the 15 to 20 year old Pappy Van Winkle.
Bourbon or Rye?

I’ve had quite a few mentioned, not a fan of Makers Mark. Usually at a bar I’ll order 4 Roses or Bulleit. Knob Creek and Jim Beam are the ones I usually keep around the house. It’s cheap but Jim Beam is smooth to drink neat. Also like Wild Turkey 101...Never been able to drink Scotch though.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
its a solid classic, and the 101 is very strong. The regular Jim beam is more entry level & .there’s more in that camp. Bourbon is going through a wine crazy type cycle and folks are buying the higher end at a crazy pace

Well, that's interesting. Thanks for the update.

I have drank a little bourbon off and on for years (I am 56). But in the last few years I have begun to enjoy it more than I ever did in the past. Mostly a beer guy. But the one's I tend to enjoy the most now are the 80 proof bourbons. Still like Makers (was my go to for years), but now prefer Gentleman Jack, Basil Hayden's (pricey), and recently discovered the regular Four Roses. All 80 proofers. I recommend any of those. If you like higher alcohol content, then Buffalo Trace or Makers. Also it's good to keep some nice smooth Seagram's 7 around when you feel like a mixed drink and add some 7up or Ginger ale.

A lot of the ones mentioned here are very good. I like Bulleit, Makers Mark, etc., however none of these compare to Woodford Double Oaked Bourbon. The Double Oaked is even noticeably better than the regular Woodford Reserve.

I have drank a little bourbon off and on for years (I am 56). But in the last few years I have begun to enjoy it more than I ever did in the past. Mostly a beer guy. But the one's I tend to enjoy the most now are the 80 proof bourbons. Still like Makers (was my go to for years), but now prefer Gentleman Jack, Basil Hayden's (pricey), and recently discovered the regular Four Roses. All 80 proofers. I recommend any of those. If you like higher alcohol content, then Buffalo Trace or Makers. Also it's good to keep some nice smooth Seagram's 7 around when you feel like a mixed drink and add some 7up or Ginger ale.
Yep, keep all the above in stock, but once I tried Four Roses that was my go to! The wife has taken a liking to Irish whiskey and brought home some Tullamore Dew, really good stuff, if you haven't tried it!

So, I have recently discovered my love for bourbon, but have not tried many and am looking to expand my small collection. What are y'alls favorites?

Basil Hayden is my "go to", but I also enjoy Bulleit, Makers Mark, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Jefferson's, Old Forester, and Buffalo Trace.

Wild Turkey 101 is still a decent option, but there is such much variety available now I like to go with something different. Buffalo Trace is not bad either.

And to the guy who mentioned Irish Whiskey, I think Tullamore Dew is much better than the standard Jamesons.

Awesome, way more input that I was expecting! Definitely see a few that seem common, I think I'll work my way up to the nicer stuff so I can appreciate it, lol. Thanks everyone

Lower Tier - Evan Williams Bottled in Bond is the best deal in bourbon. You can get a handle (1.75) for $25-28. You can sip it or mix it. Wild Turkey 101 is also a good deal. Handle is around $35. Also like Four Roses base level in that price range. Also, pretty much any bonded bourbon (BIB) is good, even the cheap stuff. Early Times BIB is outstanding. I also love Old Grand Dad BIB and though not bonded OGD 114. It's the same base juice they make Basil Hayden's from. Hard to find but very good is Very Old Barton. I've had the 86 and 90 proofs. Prefer the higher proof but both are good. If you just want a tailgate bourbon for super cheap get McKenna (not the 10 year BIB) or Benchmark. That stuff is basically free and mixes a fine bourbon and coke. Also consider Mellow Corn BIB corn whiskey. Google it. Good stuff.
Mid-Tier - Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare when you can find them. Both are allocated now so harder to find but I do on occasion. For stuff you can find, Russell's Reserve, Cooper's Craft 100 proof, Smooth Rambler Old Scout. McKenna 10 went to allocation after it won international whiskey of the year in March 2019 and it was a steal at $28 before that. If you can get it around $40 do it. I'm seeing mostly $59 now. Dude in Florence wanted $99. Nope. Knob Creek is very good and Old Forester 86. Makers Mark is fine as an introduction bourbon but it isn't very complex. It's wheated so it's softer on the palate. I prefer my bourbon challenge me to a fight but have good technical boxing skills. Their 46 and cask strength are better.
Upper - the Angel's Envy line is nice, as is Belle Meade Cask Strength Reserve. I don't buy much high end as there are too many reasonably priced bourbons. I've had Pappy 23. It was delicious. So is a lot of stuff I can actually buy and buy at reasonable prices. People recommending Pappy and Weller must live on the yellow brick road because I haven't seen that stuff outside of a glass case in a long time. The hipsters jacked the price up as with McKenna 10. Find something you like and can buy on the reg and stick with it. Don't go chasing waterfalls. The high end Old Foresters are all good. I particularly like the BIB and the Statesman.
Irish Whiskey - Jameson is good but they now have one aged in stout barrels that is more complex but still easy to drink neat.

Last edited:
Reactions: gcobob

Its what we drank in high school back in the 80's, I have not had it in a while because there are so damn many new ones to try every week.

Wild Turkey is by no means rot gut. It's just not particularly interesting. Wild Turkey 101 on the other hand is an outstanding bargain.

Bonded bourbons have made a comeback because the "craft" bourbons can't offer bonded versions because they source them from other distilleries. Bonded requires a single distiller in a single season aged 4 years and bottled at 100 proof. If you see "bonded" or 'bottled in bond" it's most always going to be a good value.

Its what we drank in high school back in the 80's, I have not had it in a while because there are so damn many new ones to try every week.

Well after I got married in '75 I quit with the serious drinking and now that I will be 75 Tuesday I rarely ever have a drink, so I don't keep up with the fads or changing in taste of bourbon today. But this thread has been very interesting and educational relative to bourbon.

Lower Tier - Evan Williams Bottled in Bond is the best deal in bourbon. You can get a handle (1.75) for $25-28. You can sip it or mix it. Wild Turkey 101 is also a good deal. Handle is around $35. Also like Four Roses base level in that price range. Also, pretty much any bonded bourbon (BIB) is good, even the cheap stuff. Early Times BIB is outstanding. I also love Old Grand Dad BIB and though not bonded OGD 114. It's the same base juice they make Basil Hayden's from. Hard to find but very good is Very Old Barton. I've had the 86 and 90 proofs. Prefer the higher proof but both are good. If you just want a tailgate bourbon for super cheap get McKenna (not the 10 year BIB) or Benchmark. That stuff is basically free and mixes a fine bourbon and coke. Also consider Mellow Corn BIB corn whiskey. Google it. Good stuff.
Mid-Tier - Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare when you can find them. Both are allocated now so harder to find but I do on occasion. For stuff you can find, Russell's Reserve, Cooper's Craft 100 proof, Smooth Rambler Old Scout. McKenna 10 went to allocation after it won international whiskey of the year in March 2019 and it was a steal at $28 before that. If you can get it around $40 do it. I'm seeing mostly $59 now. Dude in Florence wanted $99. Nope. Knob Creek is very good and Old Forester 86. Makers Mark is fine as an introduction bourbon but it isn't very complex. It's wheated so it's softer on the palate. I prefer my bourbon challenge me to a fight but have good technical boxing skills. Their 46 and cask strength are better.
Upper - the Angel's Envy line is nice, as is Belle Meade Cask Strength Reserve. I don't buy much high end as there are too many reasonably priced bourbons. I've had Pappy 23. It was delicious. So is a lot of stuff I can actually buy and buy at reasonable prices. People recommending Pappy and Weller must live on the yellow brick road because I haven't seen that stuff outside of a glass case in a long time. The hipsters jacked the price up as with McKenna 10. Find something you like and can buy on the reg and stick with it. Don't go chasing waterfalls. The high end Old Foresters are all good. I particularly like the BIB and the Statesman.
Irish Whiskey - Jameson is good but they now have one aged in stout barrels that is more complex but still easy to drink neat.
I bought the last bottle of McKenna 10 BIB at the Heavens Hill Distillery. It was 54.99 from them. As for Wellers, I couldn't even find it in KY at the stores.

Reactions: punydevil
Dang, I'm 60 and have had some bourbon, but that's some quality info. Thanks for taking the time

I’ve heard the 15 is better than the 20

So, I have recently discovered my love for bourbon, but have not tried many and am looking to expand my small collection. What are y'alls favorites?
I am by no means an expert but any bourbon with a cork is drinkable straight. If I had to choose one I like Angel’s Envy. It’s by far the smoothest bourbon I’ve had for the money!

I am by no means an expert but any bourbon with a cork is drinkable straight. If I had to choose one I like Angel’s Envy. It’s by far the smoothest bourbon I’ve had for the money!
You might like Heaven's Door too. Bob Dylan's bourbon made with a co-founder of Angel's Envy.

Funny story. I walked into Perry's Liquors in Athens while in town for a Drive By Truckers show about 5 years ago. It was back when people lined up for Hopslam and Bourbon County and it sold out fast. They had both beers in ample supply. They also had a huge bottom shelf inventory of Weller Special Reserve. For $28. For a 1.75 handle. Knew nothing about it but I bought one hoping it would be acceptable. Wish I'd bought all of them. It was outstanding. You can pick up a little .75 from Caskers today for $119.

It's hard to argue against Blantons, Eagle Rare etc. but underrated are both Michters and WT Rare Breed. I like to dip into the rye's and while this is pricey ($100), the high west midwinter nights dram is pretty phenomenal. I was once treated to a pour of Sazerac 18 yr old rye and I dont have the words.

Reactions: BNAGamecock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT