ADVERTISEMENT

OT: For the bourbon drinkers...

Good bourbon can be served with a couple of small ice cubes, a medium sized Ice cube or sphere, or with no ice (some call this neat).
Occasionally a double pour is appropriate.
I recommend bourbon rocks. Very cold and there is no meltage and no dilution.

I had some. I preferred it poured into my Moo Hoo Stout.
I just know there's a market for kiwi strawberry moonshine out there. :rolleyes:
cced6a75cfa11dfa4913c38a997306734b122e13.jpg

palmetto-moonshine-blackberry-flavored-corn-whiskey-south-carolina-usa-10622905.jpg

Any liquor store should have it in the small shot size 50ml bottle if you just want to sample it for about $3, 750ml is gonna run between $20 - $30.

Reactions: boykinlp
So I've never been a big Evan Williams fan, but read a positive review of the EW Bottled in Bond White Lable, and I must say it's a nice middle shelf EDC. Any other fans out there?

Yes sir . Don’t get much better than Woodford . My buddy had some “Peanut Butter” flavored Bourbon over the holidays . Sounded awful but it was insanely good . Best stuff I’ve had in years , Don’t know the brand but it was some of the best sipping whiskey I’ve ever had .
I just tried the peanut butter bourbon. Guy gave me a sample to try. It was too sweet for me, but the taste was amazing if people like the sweeter side of bourbon.

So I've never been a big Evan Williams fan, but read a positive review of the EW Bottled in Bond White Lable, and I must say it's a nice middle shelf EDC. Any other fans out there?
It is my go-to, daily drinker. It works neat, OTR or in cocktails. I consider it the best bargain in bourbon. I am a fan of all things BIB. Guaranteed at least 4 years old, single distiller in one distilling season at one distillery, 100 proof. (Henry McKenna makes a 10 year old BIB that won best international whiskey in 2019.) Couple of other solid BIB's are (not to be confused with their non-BIB siblings) Early Times BIB, Dickel BIB, Beam's Old Tub BIB and Old Grand Dad BIB. And speaking of OGD, it's the same juice they use for Basil Hayden. The OGD 114 is outstanding and less than $30 a 750.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
I have commented in this thread before that I am a novice bourbon drinker. I have found a liking to 1792 Small Batch and Elijah Craig Small Batch. I have a bottle of Eagle Rare that I plan to crack open when the Gamecocks give me something to celebrate. Hopefully it doesn’t age too much.

Was just at a couple of distilleries this past weekend. Jim Beam was closed but Heaven Hill and Willetts were booked. Freaking covid.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
So, I have recently discovered my love for bourbon, but have not tried many and am looking to expand my small collection. What are y'alls favorites?
I’m sure you’ll get a lot of Bourbons named, but I tried Six and Twenty Distillery’s Old Money and I will never go back to anything else. I’ve had the best stuff from Kentucky, but that Old Money from Powdersville, SC is some wonderful stuff.

Reactions: jonesz21
To add from another review:

While you could compare this directly with Heaven Hill BiB (6 year old) at $12 and say the Evan Williams BiB is younger and more expensive at $15, I would argue that you’re just comparing two bourbons that both offer exceptional value. Despite the lack of an age statement (though a minimum of four years can be inferred from the label), Evan Williams BiB is actually a five year product according to Heaven Hill Brand Ambassador Bernie Lubbers, so really just one year shy of Heaven Hill BiB. The flavor profiles are also different, with Evan Williams BiB trading a bit of Heaven Hill BiB’s balance for some additional character and sweetness. Furthermore, while we know the distribution of Heaven Hill BiB is quite limited outside of Kentucky, Evan Williams BiB is distributed nationwide. As a result, the added cost of a trip to Kentucky to pick up some Heaven Hill BiB (not to mention a few Willetts, some gift shop only releases, every other BiB whiskey known to man, followed by a week of sleeping alone on the couch…) might help justify the $3 price increase you’ll pay for the Evan Williams BiB at your local store.

While there isn’t anything about Evan Williams BiB’s flavor profile that’s necessarily great, there really isn’t anything bad about it either. Tasting it blind, I’d wager most would guess its MSRP to be north of $25. By that measure it’s a tremendous value for only $15.

Full flavored but still smooth, this sweet tasting BiB bourbon won’t wow you, but offers enough versatility to make it a mainstay in any home bar, all for less than $20.
While not exceptional by any means, Evan Williams BiB is an appealing and versatile bourbon with tremendous value. It’s sweet yet assertive flavor profile offers mass appeal with just enough dimension and potency to work any way you like it, from sipping neat to mixing in cocktails and everything in between. With a $15 price tag and national distribution, there’s no reason not to pick up a bottle the next chance you get.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I just tried the peanut butter bourbon. Guy gave me a sample to try. It was too sweet for me, but the taste was amazing if people like the sweeter side of bourbon.
I’m not well versed on the differences between bourbon and whiskey. I like Jim Beam Ghost , Makers Mark, Wild Turkey 101, Crown, Apple Crown mixed with salted caramel Crown. I have tried Skrewball peanut butter whiskey, and I thought it was really good. Buddies at work rave about Woodford Reserve. I’m gonna have to try it.

To add from another review:

While you could compare this directly with Heaven Hill BiB (6 year old) at $12 and say the Evan Williams BiB is younger and more expensive at $15, I would argue that you’re just comparing two bourbons that both offer exceptional value. Despite the lack of an age statement (though a minimum of four years can be inferred from the label), Evan Williams BiB is actually a five year product according to Heaven Hill Brand Ambassador Bernie Lubbers, so really just one year shy of Heaven Hill BiB. The flavor profiles are also different, with Evan Williams BiB trading a bit of Heaven Hill BiB’s balance for some additional character and sweetness. Furthermore, while we know the distribution of Heaven Hill BiB is quite limited outside of Kentucky, Evan Williams BiB is distributed nationwide. As a result, the added cost of a trip to Kentucky to pick up some Heaven Hill BiB (not to mention a few Willetts, some gift shop only releases, every other BiB whiskey known to man, followed by a week of sleeping alone on the couch…) might help justify the $3 price increase you’ll pay for the Evan Williams BiB at your local store.

While there isn’t anything about Evan Williams BiB’s flavor profile that’s necessarily great, there really isn’t anything bad about it either. Tasting it blind, I’d wager most would guess its MSRP to be north of $25. By that measure it’s a tremendous value for only $15.

Full flavored but still smooth, this sweet tasting BiB bourbon won’t wow you, but offers enough versatility to make it a mainstay in any home bar, all for less than $20.
While not exceptional by any means, Evan Williams BiB is an appealing and versatile bourbon with tremendous value. It’s sweet yet assertive flavor profile offers mass appeal with just enough dimension and potency to work any way you like it, from sipping neat to mixing in cocktails and everything in between. With a $15 price tag and national distribution, there’s no reason not to pick up a bottle the next chance you get.
Unfortunately, the HH BIB 6 year is discontinued. They switched to a 7 year and it runs around $40.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I’m not well versed on the differences between bourbon and whiskey. I like Jim Beam Ghost , Makers Mark, Wild Turkey 101, Crown, Apple Crown mixed with salted caramel Crown. I have tried Skrewball peanut butter whiskey, and I thought it was really good. Buddies at work rave about Woodford Reserve. I’m gonna have to try it.
Whiskey is everything - whiskey, whisky, scotch, bourbon, canadian blends, rye. Basically anything made from fermented grains. Bourbon requires a mashbill of at least 51% corn. The rest of the mashbill is typically barley and either rye or wheat (referred to as a wheated bourbon like Maker's or Pappy). When the rye is the highest component of the mashbill you've got a rye whiskey. When it's 20 percent or more but still 51% corn it's a high rye bourbon assuming you've met the other requirements for bourbon which are that it's aged in single-use charred oak barrels and distilled in the US. Rye is spicy. Wheat is smoother on the palate. There are also some additional barreling and bottling proof requirements. If it is at least 2 years old and has no adulterants or additives it can be labeled "straight bourbon." If it is less than 4 years old and is labeled as straight it has to have an age statement but there is no minimum age requirement. If it is blended from different aged barrels and has an age statement, it has to use the youngest barrel. Many bourbons do not state their age. And on a final note, I used to think I hated scotch because I had only tried the super smoky peaty stuff. What I've learned is that I mostly don't like Islay scotch. If you want to dip your toes into scotch, try Monkey Shoulder or Auchentoshan 12. Very easy drinking stuff. And for Japanese whisky Suntory Toki is cheap and an easy drinker and the Nikka Grain and Nikka Coffey Malt (no coffee involved - that's the still that's used) are both phenomenal. Now let's talk Herradura Anejo tequila or Santa Teresa 1796 solera rum on the rocks...

Give Maker's 46 a try. Very drinkable at that price point. I don't drink much liquor, but when I do, it's always bourbon. This one is a fav. I'm not into spending $50 or more on acohol.

Reactions: Bear_Rooster
For special occasions I like the Pappy Lot B. I also like Boss Hogg on the higher end. Middle of the road Col Taylor, Woodford Reserve and Makers 46. On the lower end I like Wellers Special Reserve, Evan Williams Single Barrel and Buffalo Trace.

Give Maker's 46 a try. Very drinkable at that price point. I don't drink much liquor, but when I do, it's always bourbon. This one is a fav. I'm not into spending $50 or more on acohol.
Not big on liquor myself. More of a beer and red wine guy. I’m always interested in trying different stuff, though. Thanks for the suggestion 🤙🏼

Reactions: TheReelEss
Great thread here.

I did the trail a couple of years ago with some friends and fell in love with all things Woodford and Buffalo Trace. Woodford is surrounded by horse farms and is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Double Oaked is the best high end bourbon for the price with regular availability. I also love Blanton's but can't find it. Bookers is pricey but good. If you find Colonel EH Taylor or Elmer T. Lee, buy it.

Eagle Rare is currently the best value if you can find it. Basil Hayden and Regular Woodford are close as well. Town Branch is a small distillery with good flavor in this category.

I don't hate Maker's mark, but think it is severely overrated.

What was interesting to me from the trail was learning about the different % combinations of Corn, Malt, Rye, and Wheats and how those combinations and different aging processes created certain flavors that I liked. That education helps me to research bourbons and get a better idea of whether I will enjoy them before I spend the money.

While at Woodford, our tour guide told us about their Blue Label bottle named Woodford Kentucky Straight Malt Whiskey. It was only $29.99 in the gift shop, so I took a bottle home with me. Absolutely loved it. Spent the next year looking for it across the state and could barely find it. It's now more prevalent in SC and definitely worth a try if any of you want to try something new.

Back in May, I bought a bottle from the initial 500 bottle release of Peyton Mannings new bourbon named Sweetens Cove. It's expensive, but amazing.

Good luck on the adventure.

If you are looking for bang for your buck I'd go with Four Roses or Evan Williams white label. Can't miss with either.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Chicken Cock. Oldest continually made bourbon in America. Very limited and hard to find. Very pricey as well, but very drinkable on the rocks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT