ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Garibaldi's in Columbia Closes Suddenly on 1/27/15

ipull4usc

Mar 17, 2003
Disappointing end to what I once considered the best restaurant in Columbia. I haven't been there in a year or two, but my parents went twice recently and said that it had gone downhill.

The owner cited the fact that he didn't own the building as the reason for the close, but considering I'd heard the restaurant had severely slipped makes me think otherwise. He also said he didn't tell any employees that he was planning on closing the restaurant until work ended yesterday, which was the last day the restaurant was open. That's a jackass move in my opinion.

I wonder if this is a reflection of how businesses are doing in 5 Points? Garibaldi's and Dianne's have closed in the area, and it seems like the Vista and Main Street are the hot spots for diners and bar patrons these days.

http://www.free-times.com/blogs/garibaldis-closes-012815

Diannes really was outside of Divine St, and it seems like both the building Diannes was in and the one next door have businesses that dont typically last very long.

Thats pretty shitty of the owner of Garibaldi's to do to give his employees no heads up they were losing their jobs. Ive only been a couple times but the food was really good. Im sure another sketchy bar with sticky floors and $3 liquor drinks will be opening up soon so the local hoodlums can shoot each other in front of it.

This really sucks. I know it was known for the flounder dish, but it served a lot of good choices. Well, back in the day.

Sad to hear! As a former restaurant employee for a large part of my life (including a lengthy stint at Dianne's on Devine), I can tell you the G was a good place to eat... Well, it was years ago! A lot can go wrong to ruin a restaurant. The price of food items is pretty liquid, a change in the dynamic of the area where they are located can hurt bad and FAST, hiring the wrong person/ people... All can contribute to the downfall of even a very good restaurant!

As for the little notice for the employees? Well, sad perhaps though it is, it is very common in the industry. I have known many people who show up for work one day to find the doors locked and THAT is how they found out the place had closed! The truth is there is no two weeek notice for letting an employee go, and there is no difference between letting them go after the last day the way this owner did, and someone in any other industry being told they are being laid off on a Friday and asked to clean out their desk before they leave. There is NO good way to fire people or let them know their job doesn't exist any longer, but the truth is if you do give them a heads up it is coming, they become a liability as long as they continue to work there! No server is going to give their best service if they know the place is close soon, most people probably wouldn't even show up much longer and that means the restaurant is closing earlier than expected if you have them say a week or two of notice before you were actually planning to close! I don't know when or how ya'll would have wanted him to let people know they should start looking for a new job, but it would have ruined his chances of making money til the end of the month if he had done that.

I can appreciate why they're closing.......it doesn't sound like anyone's been there in a year or two.

If it were my place, I wouldn't give the employees notice either. The service would turn into dog poop until the last open date if employees know you're closing. I

That's REAL disappointing since we got a very nice gift certificate this Christmas and won't get to use it! Same thing happened at Diane's on Divine a couple of years ago - another wasted certificate a family member was very generous & took the time to go and get! Had no timely "heads-up" either time! So sorry for these employees, too! Much worse for them!
This post was edited on 1/28 3:35 PM by cocky lady

Originally posted by cocky lady:

That's REAL disappointing since we got a very nice gift certificate this Christmas and won't get to use it! Same thing happened at Diane's on Divine a couple of years ago - another wasted certificate a family member was very generous & took the time to go and get! Had no timely "heads-up" either time! So sorry for these employees, too! Much worse for them!

I would go to Cola's and see if they would honor the gift certificate, since they are owned by the same people.

Originally posted by gamecockengineer2011:
I was under the impression that Diannes on Divine was closed due to something involving taxes not being paid.
I know that place had some great food. They also own Deprados (sp?) so if it was a tax issue they'd probably go after that place too.

I worked back of the house at Diannes.Billy Prado was our chef. A great talent...Ramsey-esque in his attention to perfection!
Anything attached to Chef Prado will be outstanding!

5 points is dwindling down to strictly a bohemian spot with bars and a few small, struggling eclectic shops. The diversity of small businesses has been lost. Too bad.

Fine dining in 5-Points. Correct me on these dates.

The Peddler Steakhouse 1970-1987.
Garibaldi's 1986-2015.
Saluda's 1996-Present.
Mr. Friendly's 1997-Present.

I did not count Harper's as fine dining.

Originally posted by cocky lady:

As another posted stated, go to Cola's.... in an article in The State about the closing, the owner said that Garibaldi gift certificates will be honored at Cola's.... So no loss for you then.... which is good, so relax, enjoy and have a good time... =:cool:

Thx so much "Spartan" & "Triumph"! I didn't know about this closing nor did I read the article, so I'll definitely try this at Cola's! Love that place as well!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT