ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Golf in Columbia

Tylerc2425

Mar 28, 2007
Would you all care to help our group out? We are traveling to Myrtle Beach from Knoxville in late March, and thought we might stop in Columbia or somewhere on the way to play 18. What is some courses we need to take a look at?

Thanks for the help
This post was edited on 2/12 10:41 AM by Tylerc2425

You should definitely check out http://www.cobblestoneparkgolfclub.com/ - this used to be called the University Club where the Gamecock Golf team practiced and played. I think the women's team may still practice out there.

There are several other public courses that are usually in good shape that time of year. Indian River Golf Club and Golden Hills in Lexington.

Cobblestone Golf Club - Blythewood
Mid Carolina - Prosperity
Mount Vintage - Aiken

Everything else, don't bother. You can find a lot of cheap rates, but they are cheap for a reason. Public golf in Columbia is struggling.

Ok thanks.

Scratch that. That was February 2014.
This post was edited on 2/12 11:13 AM by Tylerc2425

For those that don't already know, Joe Rice that the Rice Athletic Center is named after has purchased Northwoods Golf Club in Columbia and work is underway to restore the course and clubhouse. A lot of cleanup has already been done to open up overgrown areas, bunkers are being redone, cart paths will also be fixed. Once growing season starts greens will be on the list. Close to 1M will be spent in the first year to improve the course. Mr. Rice also owns Bulls Bay Golf Club which is private and where the Blowfish tournament is held the Monday after the Masters. The goal is for Northwoods to be in as good of shape as Bulls Bay.

anybody been out to Windermere lately? Generally been a nice track and only course with bent grass greens. Been a few years since I've played it though

Haven't played all mentioned above. but if you can find a better tract than Cobblestone for the money lets hear about it!

Stop by and play Windermere - Pete Dye design and the only course in Columbia with bent grass greens. Club # 803-786-7888

If you're trying to stay on your path, then Mid Carolina is really your only choice, its on I26, and its a nice course.
Cobblestone and Windermere are too much out of the way, but are better courses.
Be very aware, if you're traveling the week before the Masters, all the course prices will be jacked heavily.

This post was edited on 2/13 10:48 PM by southpawsc

Originally posted by Kmart84:
For those that don't already know, Joe Rice that the Rice Athletic Center is named after has purchased Northwoods Golf Club in Columbia and work is underway to restore the course and clubhouse. A lot of cleanup has already been done to open up overgrown areas, bunkers are being redone, cart paths will also be fixed. Once growing season starts greens will be on the list. Close to 1M will be spent in the first year to improve the course. Mr. Rice also owns Bulls Bay Golf Club which is private and where the Blowfish tournament is held the Monday after the Masters. The goal is for Northwoods to be in as good of shape as Bulls Bay.
Hootie hosts a college tournament at Bull's Bay, but the Monday after the Masters is held at the Dye course at Barefoot Resort in N. Myrtle.

Indian River is ok. Hidden Valley is ok. Golden Hills in Lexington is pretty nice. Oak Hills is usually in good shape. Cobblestone is a great course. Timberlake in Chapin is nice, but way off the path. Rawl's Creek (formerly Coldstream) - awful. Sedgewood (Sedgeweed) is terrible. Charwood is bad. I've heard Beech Creek in Sumter is decent, but haven't played it.

If you can get a hot deal on golfnow.com for Timberlake or Cobblestone, those two would be hard to beat for the price. Played Timberlake for $12 once.

Woodcreek Farms is my favorite. Every time I've played it, it has been in good shape. Also seen Charlie a Strong out there when he was here. Sterling Sharpe and some others.

Mid Carolina is on I-26 at exit 82. One of the best courses in the Columbia area. Call for a t time. It is 3 hours from Myrtle Beach.

Musgrove Mill Golf Club. Right off of I-26 about an hour North of Columbia. It is an Arnold Palmer Signature Course and has been ranked in the top 50 in the nation. It is still private but you can play it without a member at a higher rate. It is the second most difficult course in SC behind the Ocean Course in Kiawah Island. There are no houses on this course. There's plenty of wild life out there.
Several PGA tour players are members there. William McGuirt, Kyle Thompson, Matt Bettancourt, Charles Warren and other pros are members out there.
Late March the greens are still in great shape but the fairway will still be dormant. If it is dry weather, you cannot play a better course. You will not be disappointed.
864-833-6921

This post was edited on 2/17 6:08 PM by 1987gamecock

Forget about Golden Hills. City constructing sewage line through course.

You can play Camden Country Club which is a Ross course. Another good one is Orangeburg Country Club. Camden will be on the way to Myrtle after you leave columbia. WoodCreek is always nice.

Originally posted by apacock:
You can play Camden Country Club which is a Ross course. Another good one is Orangeburg Country Club. Camden will be on the way to Myrtle after you leave columbia. WoodCreek is always nice.
I thought Camden Country Club was private?

Originally posted by Rod Dangerfield:

It is. So is Woodcreek.

If one of the above posters is correct and you can get on Musgrove Mill (also private) I'd go that route. Mid-Carolina is too much target golf for my liking. Timberlake is a great track but is still suffers from mediocre greens. Windermere is a fun round - can be excessively penal a la Dye (whatever you do don't go right on your approach to 10) but conditioning can be hit or miss.

I would suggest taking a look at Newberry Country Club at exit 72 on I26. Its comparable to Mid Carolina but never crowded. Dont need a t-time except weekends and there are always deals on Groupon.

I like Mid Carolina as well, but its always too crowded.

Cobblestone is too pricy when compared to others.

Oak Hills would be my second choice. Its off I20, Fairfield Road.

Sedgewood is the course of choice if you don't want to break the bank. It's on the way to Sumter, which is a convenient way us old timers still occasionally use to get to Myrtle. Bring your own beer-it is a little pricey if you purchase from the pro shop.

Although private, Columbia Country Club does take groups. 27 championship holes. Perfect greens. 803-754-8109, ask for Chris. Big Gamecock fan. So is asst. Pro Eric. Was a punter for Holtz.

Musgrove Mill right off exit 52 in Clinton, SC... Pine Valley of the south or it use to be, worked there for about 8 years during my High School & College years.... Worked for all three head pros Randy , Lane & current head pro Jeff...

Originally posted by Rod Dangerfield:

Camden is pretty easy to get on for out of towners. Cost about 60 bucks

Instead of hitting I-20, hit 378 out of Columbia towards Myrtle. Stop at http://www.beechcreekgolfclub.com/ just before Sumter SC. Take 378 all the way to Conway, enjoy some South Carolina farm country without really even adding much time to your trip over the interstate. Might even be quicker depending on if you're staying in south Myrtle.

Originally posted by cocky1801#:
Originally posted by Kmart84:
Hootie hosts a college tournament at Bull's Bay, but the Monday after the Masters is held at the Dye course at Barefoot Resort in N. Myrtle.

Indian River is ok. Hidden Valley is ok. Golden Hills in Lexington is pretty nice. Oak Hills is usually in good shape. Cobblestone is a great course. Timberlake in Chapin is nice, but way off the path. Rawl's Creek (formerly Coldstream) - awful. Sedgewood (Sedgeweed) is terrible. Charwood is bad. I've heard Beech Creek in Sumter is decent, but haven't played it.

If you can get a hot deal on golfnow.com for Timberlake or Cobblestone, those two would be hard to beat for the price. Played Timberlake for $12 once.
Played Timberlake a couple of years ago. Woman came out and raised hell at my son for walking into her non fenced back yard to pickup his errant shot about 3 feet onto her property. She thought she was going to bully him because he was young and she didn't see me. I asked her politely to please go to hell. Wish I hadn't said it, but damn it felt good. Don't care to play that course again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT