ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Good spot for quick camping trip before freezing temps arrive this winter?

Rhizzlebop

Sep 30, 2009
Just bought a camper for some family adventure and wanted to give it a quick test run, but don't want to miss a gamecock game. States parks don't have cable. Suggestions within a relatively short distance of Cola?

Just bought a camper for some family adventure and wanted to give it a quick test run, but don't want to miss a gamecock game. States parks don't have cable. Suggestions within a relatively short distance of Cola?
Maybe too far but we love Boone / Blowing rock area. There are several options there.

Mountains - Gorges State Park

Beach - Edisto Beach State Park or Huntington Island State Park

Horrible suggestion - Edisto is the worst, you and the family will be bored to death while catching malaria, being exposed to radiation from WWII munitions scattered all over the island, water is undrinkable, its home to The Lizard Man and packs of rabid wolves. ;)

Horrible suggestion - Edisto is the worst, you and the family will be bored to death while catching malaria, being exposed to radiation from WWII munitions scattered all over the island, water is undrinkable, its home to The Lizard Man and packs of rabid wolves. ;)
Absolutely! IOW's NO ONE should go to Edisto Island nor State Park AT ALL!!

Very funny all! None of the state parks mentioned have cable, and I want some nature, but not missing my gamecocks playing.

You're back yard....

This way if some of the family members bail out, they won't have far to go to watch cable...

Reactions: cockofdawn
Very funny all! None of the state parks mentioned have cable, and I want some nature, but not missing my gamecocks playing.
Huntington Island SP is 5-10 minutes from Lady's Island, 15 minutes from Beaufort. No problem in finding plenty of places to watch the game.

Correct - I've even heard that Alligators there at Edisto are very aggressive and dangerous. They lay underneath the campers in the State Park and then pounce on helpless humans as they walk out their doors. Conclusion - never, ever go to Edisto State Park.

A bit pricey but Willow Tree in Longs is about as nice as they come. It consistently gets 10-10-10 on Woodalls. And they'll have cable, (and much more). Just don't go out in the Longs area too much after dark. The campground is perfectly safe but the Longs area is riddled with crime. But it's a short drive into NMB and lots to do there.

Drive up to Jones Gap north of me. Level campsites, the sound of the river next to you and you will fall for the the mountain smell. Bring a radio to listen to the game. Camping isn’t hooked up to an electrical outlet. It’s about getting out.

Table Rock State Park... but it has been a few years, and they didn't have cable then.
We took satellite dish and Honda generator.

Lost a leg at Edisto to snakebite. Then a left hand to a gator trying to save my dog. Lost the dog, too. Lost a camper at Edisto to a sinkhole and sit here now with malaria and West Nile that I picked up there. But it's a nice place.

Reactions: Will4Clemson
Dude, it ain’t camping unless it’s freezing cold in the mountains & you don’t have cell service. Anything outside of this is not technically camping.

Go somewhere interesting enough that you won't mind missing the Carolina game. Or at least one of the less compelling games. There is too much to see and do in the fall to devote EVERY weekend to college football. As for cable TV, if you don't have a satellite dish for your camper, I've never known any campgrounds other than commercial KOA-types to offer cable. I don't recall any state park, national park, or other public parks offering cable hookups - even though their campsites are typically WAY more enjoyable than the commercial ones.

I can admit it, my idea of camping has NOTHING to do with a tent. I wanna get the kids out into some nature and enjoy a camp fire or two.

I looked into a hotspot, and those things are too expensive and limited data. I looked into unlimited data for my phone and it costs too much to add that to my phone, and even then its throttled speed after 22GB so after a couple hours it would prob be too slow to use for ESPN.

I can admit it, my idea of camping has NOTHING to do with a tent. I wanna get the kids out into some nature and enjoy a camp fire or two.

I looked into a hotspot, and those things are too expensive and limited data. I looked into unlimited data for my phone and it costs too much to add that to my phone, and even then its throttled speed after 22GB so after a couple hours it would prob be too slow to use for ESPN.

I think some of the KOAs have cable.

I've stayed at plenty of commercial campgrounds with cable. But like others said, the state and federal parks won't have it. But I also agree that you should forget about the game and enjoy nature. Or better yet record it and make sure no one tells you the score and you can watch it when you get back home.

Snowflakes “camp” with cable and WiFi in campers. Men camp with no technology in tents. Choose one or the other, gentlemen. Period.

Two types of campers: (a) The real guy. Sleeps under the stars or in a tent. Digs a hole for his firepit and cooks there. Maybe hikes the AT for a few weeks. Goes to get away from the crowd. (b) Pulls a camper behind the truck with all the necessities. ATV in trailer behind. Microwave in camper. Hooks up at a campsite with the rest of the crowd.

Probably there are other types, too. I got no problem with any of it. Different strokes for .............

If you do a KOA, check out the one in Mt Pleasant. Has it's own lake and Charleston Fun Park is just outside the gate. It's one of the best and they have cable and wifi.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT