ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Greatest fictional basketball character of all time?

BirminghamCock

Dec 9, 2001
Woodstock, GA
thetidwellfirm.com
There is an article on Grantland posing the question, "who is the greatest fictional basketball player of all time?" If you are a basketball junkie like myself, it is a fun read. Just don't let your kids read over your shoulder as the language is a bit dicey in a few spots.

But my question to my fellow Gamecocks is who gets your vote? My vote is for Jimmy Chitwood, hands down. I'm miffed that he barely cracked their top 10.

GrantLand

Based on their rules...

DrJAintHavingIt.jpg

snakesketball.jpg

What was the movie Robby Benson played a hot shot freshman. Believe it took place in L.A.

I know it's movies and this character is only in books, but I have to go with my childhood hero and the living example of the All American Dream, Chip Hilton! The kid won with class, lost with grace, solved crimes, protected the weak, exposed cheating boosters, worked part time to pay his own way through college, fought evil sports writers, was a great friend and teammate, was humble, championed race relations and opposed anti-semitism!! And he got the girl!

Dennis Rodman of course............oh wait, you didn't say "cartoon character of all time", did you ?

Chitwood should be higher, but he was not a primary character, and not as compelling as some of the other characters. I have to agree with the White Men Can't Jump cast.

However, a close second has to be Jackie Moon. In Semi-Pro, you get a full introduction into the complexities of a man that truly loves the game (maybe too much). Will Ferrell perfectly brings out all of the internal torture and torment of a basketball player doing the only thing he knows in his heart. It's a beautiful character study that makes you appreciate the game as much as Jackie Moon.

Grantland got it 100% right: Woody and Wesley's characters in White Men Can't Jump. What a great movie.

Who was the player from the NY playgrounds that could double dunk? They made a movie about him and his playground team that beat a team of pros at the playground. He eventually moved to Charleston and had a family there.

I like Dark Cocks choice. That was a funny movie and Phillip Seymour Hoffman was great in it.

Originally posted by Jack_Burton:
Grantland got it 100% right: Woody and Wesley's characters in White Men Can't Jump. What a great movie.
This proves my point that Jimmy Chitwood is the greatest fictional basketball player of all time. Most everyone who loves the movie White Men Can't Jump, myself included, could not tell you the names of the characters that Wesley and Woody played off of the top of their heads. Most do just like you did and refer to them as "the characters Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes played in White Men Can't Jump." But nobody refers to Jimmy Chitwood as the "character (insert actor's name here) played in Hoosiers." Nobody knows the actor's name. That's because he is Jimmy Freaking Chitwood.
smile.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT