ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Green Sea Floyds High School - State Title Game

SCGCock07

Apr 15, 2009
Conway, SC
For those of y'all who don't know, this tiny little school in the tobacco fields of Western Horry County is playing for the 1A state title tomorrow against powerhouse Lamar. This is a great article for any Gamecock who isn't familiar with the struggles of this farming community's football team. I will be pulling hard for the Trojans tomorrow evening.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.myrtlebeachonline.com/latest-news/article222649910.html

Reactions: vacock# and Judson1
My cousin coached East Clarendon to a state title long ago. I remember him talking about how all those kids had to grow up early as they were all counted on to work. Said it was a pleasure to coach kids who were used to hard work.

For those of y'all who don't know, this tiny little school in the tobacco fields of Western Horry County is playing for the 1A state title tomorrow against powerhouse Lamar. This is a great article for any Gamecock who isn't familiar with the struggles of this farming community's football team. I will be pulling hard for the Trojans tomorrow evening.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.myrtlebeachonline.com/latest-news/article222649910.html

Uh.... Green Sea Floyds is in the eastern part of Horry County. Appx 9 miles from
Tabor City, NC. When I travel through Dillon to North Myrtle Beach on Hwy 9, I go past GSF High. My next door neighbor in NMB was head of the ROTC @GSF until he retired in February.
He will probably make the trip to Columbia to see them play for the State Championship.

Reactions: rickbryan
Eastern Horry County is the Atlantic Ocean. Green Sea and Floyds are in the northwest corner of Horry County.

Since you are from Conway, is Green Sea to the right of you when looking at a county map, or to the left of Conway??

If it's on your right, then it is on the eastern side of the county. If it's on the left side of Conway on your map, turn the map over.

How does a small school and town like Lamar constantly turn out winning football teams year after year?

Since you are from Conway, is Green Sea to the right of you when looking at a county map, or to the left of Conway??

If it's on your right, then it is on the eastern side of the county. If it's on the left side of Conway on your map, turn the map over.
You're gonna really disabuse him of his notions about his county.

You're gonna really disabuse him of his notions about his county.

I know, right?? I may not live there year round, but having a house in Cherry Grove for almost 40 years, I do know how to get there. And with Green Sea only 8 or 9 miles from Tabor City, NC, that cannot be called the western part of the county.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
[QUOTE="robertfootball,]. How does a small school and town like Lamar constantly turn out winning football teams year after year?[/QUOTE]

Tradition, pride for the program in the community, and very good coaches.

And to be realistic, with 37 schools in 1A that play football, there are only 4-5 with a legitimate chance to get to the title game. 1A is a tough sell and I admire those coaches.

How does a small school and town like Lamar constantly turn out winning football teams year after year?
They've had their fair share of players make the league. It's a streak of like 27 straight years to have an active player on an NFL roster starting with Levon Kirkland. It's evidently in the water.

I personally got beat by Lamar in HS football many years ago from a larger school. Not my finest moment, but fortunately I ended up becoming a professional in something else.

For the great Green Sea debate I’m going throw out North as the scientific option, but I wouldn’t argue with an Horry County resident that everyone “knows” the Atlantic is “east,” NMB is “north,” the south strand is “south,” and thus Green Sea is NW.

Believe it or not,the town i work in here in missouri has a 1a high school named Lamar. Last year they won theire 7 consective state football title and had the nations longest winning streak of 54 games untill 3 weeks ago

Same as Dillon. Its like a slice of Texas football you don't see much at that level. Those kids grow up going to those games and idolizing the players. Rec teams run the same schemes so by the time they get to the varsity level, they know their teammates and the plays like clockwork. Mix that with coaching longevity, esp Dillon, and you have a recipe for winning.

Reactions: joplin gamecock 1
Believe it or not,the town I work in here in Missouri has a 1A high school named Lamar. Last year they won their 7th consecutive state football title and had the nation's longest winning streak of 54 games until 3 weeks ago.
"1A" means different things in different states. A more objective comparison is the student body enrollment in grades 9-12 of each school.

I think Lamar graduated 12 kids last year. Some of these schools graduate lessnthan 10 a year. These are public schools, missouri schools are different than any other school system that ive heard of

I think Lamar graduated 12 kids last year. Some of these schools graduate less than 10 a year. These are public schools, Missouri schools are different than any other school system that I've heard of

The Georgia High School Association has 7 classifications; the South Carolina High School League has 5. This does not necessarily mean that "6A" and "7A" Georgia schools have a larger enrollment than "5A" SC schools.

It means that Georgia has far more schools than SC and thus narrower enrollment ranges for each classification. To explain, let's "pretend" that Georgia has 130 schools with an enrollment between 1500 and 2000, but SC only has 70 such schools. The GHSA would likely have two classifications in this range, and the SCHSL just one.

The reality is that each state high school association sets it's own ranges for each classification. Not sure if they still do, but the SCHSL had a point system for football playoff qualification in AAAA (before AAAAA was created). If you played schools in higher classifications, you got more points. Of course, this doesn't work quite the same way if you play an out of state school. SCHSL gets an official enrollment count of the opponent (either from the out of state school or their state high school association), "pretends" that school is in state, then awards points accordingly.

There are only 5 classifications here. There are actually 5 schools that are 1a that are all 10 min apart but only 2 share a conference. They all travel 3 and 4 hours away to be able to play a 9 game regular season that start 2 weeks later than s.c. schools. These 5 schools are all in 5 tiny towns. Schools out here refuse to consalidate like most places. If these schools were to join each other to form a 2a or 3a, theire furthest game would be 2 hrs away with most games being 30 to 45 min away

Yes about 5 miles from Loris

So, then Galivants Ferry and Aynor must be in the Eastern part of the county since they are on the opposite side of the county???

When looking at a map you do understand that east is on the right and west is on the left??

A quick check on Google Maps shows that Green Sea is in northern Horry County. I think Aynor when I think western Horry County.

Yes.... and if you draw a line from the tip of the county down thru Conway and further to the southern tip at Surfside Beach, Green Sea is on the right side (EASTERN) and Galivants Ferry and Aynor are in the western half.

Yes.... and if you draw a line from the tip of the county down thru Conway and further to the southern tip at Surfside Beach, Green Sea is on the right side (EASTERN) and Galivants Ferry and Aynor are in the western half.
Green Sea is a hop, skip and a jump from Marion and Dillon Counties. Both of those counties are on Horry County's western border. Northeast Horry County is Cherry Grove. Green Sea is about 35 minutes from there.

Would you say it's more west or east? I say east.
Below is a map of Horry County. From Hwy 917 north to Hwy 76 is part of the Green Sea and Floyds area. That is in no way Eastern Horry County. Eastern Horry County is the beaches and Little River.

horry.gif

Reactions: rogue cock
Below is a map of Horry County. From Hwy 917 north to Hwy 76 is part of the Green Sea and Floyds area. That is in no way Eastern Horry County. Eastern Horry County is the beaches and Little River.

horry.gif
I see Green Sea. Where is Floyds? What I see definitely isn't western Horry County, either which is what got this little p!$$!ng contest started. Northern appears to be the best description.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock

horry.gif

I will try this one more time...

Take YOUR map. Start at the northern tip of Horry County Where Dillon County and North Carolina all three join. Draw a line through the county down close to the Hwy 707- Garden City point.

This line will split the county in two halves. Anything on the right side of that line would be the EASTERN half or the County.

Another way.... take a piece of paper and cover everything on the left side of the line. If you can still see Green Sea on YOUR county map, then it is in the EASTERN half of the county.

I can't explain it any better than this.

I will try this one more time...

Take YOUR map. Start at the northern tip of Horry County Where Dillon County and North Carolina all three join. Draw a line through the county down close to the Garden City point.

This line will split the county in two halves. Anything on the right side of that line would be the EASTERN half or the County.

Another way.... take a piece of paper and cover everything on the left side of the line. If you can still see Green Sea on YOUR county map, then it is in the EASTERN half of the county.

I can't explain it any better than this.
It's so close that the location of Floyds would be the clincher. But northern is the predominant orientation of the location.

Reactions: atl-cock
It's so close that the location of Floyds would be the clincher. But northern is the predominant orientation of the location.
Floyds is west of Green Sea. Everything north of 917 to the Marion and Dillon County lines is zoned to go to GSF. The entire northwestern section of the county is zoned to go to GSF High School.

Donnie Kiefer is a great coach with a resume' full of schools he went to and turned the programs around. He was at Tuscola HS in Waynesville for several years where I got to witness his coaching skills. Link is one of the great game he won when no one thought they could. Wish him the very best.

Green Sea Floyds beats Lamar 26-20 to win its first ever football state championship!

Both them and Chester had late collapses and it seemed the traditional powers would roar back to win. But congratulations to both Chester and GSF!

Both them and Chester had late collapses and it seemed the traditional powers would roar back to win. But congratulations to both Chester and GSF!
Glad you said it. I couldn't agree more.

I've seen Chester that last two years. They have 30 ballplayers. But in Coach Floyd, they have a wonderful leader and they are well coached. By the way, this is their first title since 1963.

As for Green Sea-Floyds, no community deserves it more. None has suffered more in football. I'm bursting with happiness for those people.

And Horry County boasts two state champions.