ADVERTISEMENT

OT: has anyone here gotten a gold tooth?

If you are talking about one in the back chewing area.....go for it. My Dentist tells me they last longer and are more durable than ceramic . But if you’re talking about on the front like a gangsta then not so much.
Gold for the molars is by far the best from a functional and durability stand point. I've only done a few in the front, even put someones initials in it for them.

Gold for the molars is by far the best from a functional and durability stand point. I've only done a few in the front, even put someones initials in it for them.

Not to intrude on your patients privacy....but was he or she nuts? I gotta ask.

1500 to 1700 an ounce. Good luck.
A small price for a sense of freedom!
fhd099PBK_William_Devane_004.jpg

I got two-both mid molars but would have gotten ceramic if it had been available at the time. Gold is too noticeable.

Debating on getting one myself.

Maybe you should get you a grill.
I remember a drug deal gone wrong murder trial down here some years back when one of the witnesses totally pissed of the judge because,
A) he showed up to court in shorts,
and B) he had this gold grill with the word Drac spelled on 'em. In gold. That was his street name.
Judge made him go find some long pants. I can't remember if he made him lose the grill or not, there was some question of whether he had a Constitutional right to wear the grill, I think.
Been a long time, but I'll never forget the judge (old white guy) kind of shaking his head at the man when he first saw all that gold.

Debating on getting one myself.
Had a molar break a piece of the rear section about 15 years ago — went to a family dentist in a nice office and he wanted a couple thousand to do a root canal and place a ceramic crown on it. I had no pain and the dentist admitted there was no root issue but that it was common practice to do a root canal. A neighbor told me about this old dentist in Pendleton who was great at broken molars — went to see him — he says he’ll attach a gold filling to the rear of tooth that will last me until I’m 100. Charged me just $250. I have never, ever had an issue with it, but every dentist I see for other things wants to remove it and put in something more cosmetic. It doesn’t show so i’m fine with it.

Reactions: ClemDent
@ClemDent Is there something now that can be put on your teeth to protect them from bruxism?

@ClemDent Is there something now that can be put on your teeth to protect them from bruxism?
Yes. I have been using one for years. I think it's called a mouth guard. You can get them cheaply at WM or pay a dentist $300 for a custom fit as I did.
Had a molar break a piece of the rear section about 15 years ago — went to a family dentist in a nice office and he wanted a couple thousand to do a root canal and place a ceramic crown on it. I had no pain and the dentist admitted there was no root issue but that it was common practice to do a root canal. A neighbor told me about this old dentist in Pendleton who was great at broken molars — went to see him — he says he’ll attach a gold filling to the rear of tooth that will last me until I’m 100. Charged me just $250. I have never, ever had an issue with it, but every dentist I see for other things wants to remove it and put in something more cosmetic. It doesn’t show so i’m fine with it.
I tried a new dentist for a teeth cleaning a few weeks ago. I told them I didn't need x-rays and didn't need to see dentist for a checkup just wanted a cleaning. She refused and said they wanted to do all for $275. I went back to my old dentist just for a cleaning and paid $80.
Those dentists have a racket going. Overcharging people's dental plans.

Reactions: hahnenkampf
Like Jerryusc said. We tell everyone to try the OTC nightguards first if youre just bruxing without TMJ pain etc. There are a wide range of options and they arent that expensive. We have alot of people using the "Grind No More" guards.
If you have TMJ pain then you typically need a custom guard. They are more expensive but they save damage to your TMJ and your teeth. Money saver in the long run.

Now if you are asking if you can put something permanent on your teeth to protect them, Im afraid not. Also, fyi if you do grind and need a crown for some reason on a back tooth the best thing is gold, second best is a crown made of Zirconia

Last edited:
A little historical perspective on gold teeth: (I got this from a visit to the Mint Museum in Charlotte some years ago.)

Regardless of where their travels would take seaman, a gold tooth would serve as burial "insurance." The gold tooth would be enough to cover the undertaker and burial costs upon the seaman's demise.

Reactions: Gaimcock
Yes. I have been using one for years. I think it's called a mouth guard. You can get them cheaply at WM or pay a dentist $300 for a custom fit as I did.

Why didn't you make your own? You can buy a mouth guard, put it in hot water to soften it up and then bite into it to make a mold of your own teeth.

A little historical perspective on gold teeth: (I got this from a visit to the Mint Museum in Charlotte some years ago.)

Regardless of where their travels would take seaman, a gold tooth would serve as burial "insurance." The gold tooth would be enough to cover the undertaker and burial costs upon the seaman's demise.

I think that tidbit of history is false. Seamen of old were almost always buried at sea.

JGH, tks. Will try that next time I need a new one and save about $280.

Like Jerryusc said. We tell everyone to try the OTC nightguards first if youre just bruxing without TMJ pain etc. There are a wide range of options and they arent that expensive. We have alot of people using the "Grind No More" guards.
If you have TMJ pain then you typically need a custom guard. They are more expensive but they save damage to your TMJ and your teeth. Money saver in the long run.

Now if you are asking if you can put something permanent on your teeth to protect them, Im afraid not. Also, fyi if you do grind and need a crown for some reason on a back tooth the best thing is gold, second best is a crown made of Zirconia
Are you talking about the plastic guards that you drop in boiling water and then conform to your teeth? I already use those.

I have three of them and my dentist agrees with you about the advisability of using them where the the chewing pressure is highest. But in the smile line, they are tacky - especially right in front.

Are you talking about the plastic guards that you drop in boiling water and then conform to your teeth? I already use those.
Nope. Google Grind no more. Its a smaller device. Some people can wear them and you dont feel like you are wearing a football mouthguard. Other people prefer the larger ones you are referring.
The ones we make are made of a harder material. They are bulky versions of the plastic retainers people use after braces.

Nope. Google Grind no more. Its a smaller device. Some people can wear them and you dont feel like you are wearing a football mouthguard. Other people prefer the larger ones you are referring.
The ones we make are made of a harder material. They are bulky versions of the plastic retainers people use after braces.
Thank you for that. I did see some reviews where people are claiming you can choke on them in your sleep.

Thank you for that. I did see some reviews where people are claiming you can choke on them in your sleep.
Lol. Cant choke on them. Your bodys reflexes prevent that. But, a few people do wake up and panic because they have this piece of plastic in their mouth. Thats where the "I was choking" thing comes from. They arent for everyone, but compared to a 500-800$ nightguard its worth a try. I give samples away for free (we were suppose to charge folks but I'd rather they try it)

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
Thanks for the advice and encouragement, fellas.

Because of the low, initial start-up cost, I personally believe that a Gun Tattoo, on the forehead, is a much better, long term investment.

Remember, when you be in prison, wiff nuttin todew, you can always get a mirror and stare at yoTat. Wiff gold teeff, you gots to smile to see 'em and nobody wants you smilin' in prison.

Last edited:
Tried to find it on YouTube but couldn't but I loved the scene from the Andy Griffith Show where Ernest T Bass was going to get one. He was going to get his front 2 teeth knocked out and put it in the middle so it would shine real nice when he was dancin'. Remember, you ain't heard the last....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT