ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Heart Pump

vehemon

Sep 2, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I just found out my father in law is getting a heart pump.

Don't know the details but from the first 30 seconds of googling this looks extremely serious.

As in; either he's expected to get a new heart transplant or this is going to prolong his life 'x' many years.

Anyone know someone that's had this done?

Is this on par with a triple-quadruple bypass surgery?

I happen to be receiving tx at musc as I type this, my team is full smart medical people, I’ll see what they can tell me.

Reactions: Gaimcock
Oh man , my person here mentioned at least two different things you could be talking about, both names where beyond me attempting to remember, much less spell, sorry. She said basically they help a weakened/damaged heart preform better and are often referred to as a bridge to a transplant. I’m sorry and to be blunt , it didn’t sound good. Good luck

remember the Jarvis heart pump? it's a newer and improved from years back and as previous poster stated, normally used to sustain until a heart transplant donor can be found. Good luck, and prayers lifted.

My guess is he is going to have an LVAD..left ventricular assist device.

If this is the case yes it is basically and attempt to prolong his life or to be a bridge to full heart transplant.

I work with patients that have such device fairly regularly.

If this is the case yes it is basically and attempt to prolong his life or to be a bridge to full heart transplant.

She , my doctor, at MUSC mentioned that and said it involved a ballon in the left ventricle to assist in pumping blood out, if I remember correctly.

The above reply to the original post within this thread...

Don't know the details but from the first 30 seconds of googling this looks extremely serious.

As in; either he's expected to get a new heart transplant or this is going to prolong his life 'x' many years.

Gentlemen, I am a very, very happy patient of Columbia Heart, and have been since 04. I'm an elderly 51.25 years of age, and have had a pacemaker-defibrillator implant since July of 04.

I merely mention this as a reply of respect to the initial post(er) within this thread.

By no means am I an expert of these "thingies" within the slightest, and again merely reply as an effort to provide the OP with what knowledge I possess from my personal experience(s).

While I upfront and honestly know nothing in regards to a "heart pump", I thought perhaps there maybe a direct relationship between a "heart pump" and pacemaker-defibrillator (please by all means forgive me of my ignorance in advance!!!). Look, if I'm wrong, then I be wrong. If I can indeed provide you with a little info in regards to what it's like as a patient of such, then hey, thats why I replied to begin with!!!

I hope all is well with your pop-inlaw. By all means simply let me know of ANY questions you may have in regards to my personal experiences!!

Peace 'n out,

Gaim

I have a friend on one. It’s keeping him alive. Initially, it was a bridge to a heart transplant. But his kidneys have deteriorated to the point that a transplant is no longer possible. He’ll be on the pump the rest of his life. He has a lot of complications and is in and out of MUSC continually.

Unfortunately. I don't think bypass surgery is anything similar.

Best wishes for your Dad. Where is he having this done?

Is this an actual mini-pump or is this an operational valve to allow weak heart to work more effectively in weakened state? Former med student with high interest in med field but found environmental health.

Is this an actual mini-pump or is this an operational valve to allow weak heart to work more effectively in weakened state? Former med student with high interest in med field but found environmental health.

It's a constant flow pump installed into the bottom of the left ventricle that then routes the blood to the aortic arch. It's driven by external batteries.

google LVAD....lots of info. It is "open heart surgery" like a CABG.

Intra-aortic balloon pumps are very temporary, used during a hospital stay. Placed through leg artery.

Sorry for the lack of response. It's been busy since we got the news Friday afternoon.

It's LVAD they are wanting to install. There's a few post above that describe what the purpose is for.

I keep hearing the term "destination therapy". Not a fan of the term; instead of trying to beat around the bush so to speak... they should come out and say it, it's to prolong your life.

Because of my father-in-laws age, we just found out that he's not a candidate for a heart transplant with the criteria in our area.

There is an option at Duke and they supposedly put people on the list at his age for a heart donor.

They are looking at that option but the two big options are;

Get this procedure done and hope that it last for a long while (there's no replacing the device; it's either get a transplant or live with the device for as long as you can)

or

Just enjoy the time you have left on this earth and experiment with some medicines.

I have a friend on one. It’s keeping him alive. Initially, it was a bridge to a heart transplant. But his kidneys have deteriorated to the point that a transplant is no longer possible. He’ll be on the pump the rest of his life. He has a lot of complications and is in and out of MUSC continually.
He's already having kidney problems because of lack of flow.
What complications did he experience? My guess is that with the heart now performing artificially; the rest of the system starts shutting down/stop performing

Closure to the thread;

After a lot of misinformation and talking with Duke Medical...
It looks like we are going to try to skip the heart pump and hope straight for a heart transplant.
He's getting admitted to the ICU tomorrow and pretty much will stay in the ICU until a heart becomes available.

Could be days, could be weeks, could be a couple of months.

Thanks for the responses, hope everything has a safe weekend with the hurricane coming.

Reactions: myrtlecock
Its amazing they can even attempt such a surgery. Praying for the best for you guys!

Charlotte has a good transplant center. Jerry Richardson has had a new one for 6 to 8 yrs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT