ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hey chick75, kitchenlabs and other middle school teachers.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
Chick75, and kitchenlabs may be high school teachers, I don't know.

But, anyway one of our neighbors asked what was good summer reading for their boys that are in middle school. Their mother wants to keep their minds alert during the summer. I told her I had no idea what would be good recommended reading for those boys but I told her I would try and find out.

Any suggestions that I could give her would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chick75, and kitchenlabs may be high school teachers, I don't know.

But, anyway one of our neighbors asked what was good summer reading for their boys that are in middle school. Their mother wants to keep their minds alert during the summer. I told her I had no idea what would be good recommended reading for those boys but I told her I would try and find out.

Any suggestions that I could give her would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You can't go wrong with "A Gronking to Remember."

I'm actually a high school teacher, Freddie, but if he hasn't read the Harry Potter series it is fantastic! The lexile level for Goblet of Fire is higher than that for Lord of the Flies, an accepted AP text.

Other than that, I'm not sure what middle school boys would like. I had girls.

Here is a list I found on GoodReads: https://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/middle-school

I strongly suggest higher lexile level (basically difficulty levels and vocabulary that is challenging). I explain to my students who just keep reading lower level books that they enjoy that it is fine because I want to see them reading, but unless they challenge themselves each year they will never elevate their reading skills.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thanks Chick75 and Kitchenlabs very much. I will recommend those books to their mother. And I would agree that one needs to challenge their reading levels. Too, bad my Junior High and High School didn't teach those philosophies back in the late 50s and early 60s.

Reactions: chick75
I'm actually a high school teacher, Freddie, but if he hasn't read the Harry Potter series it is fantastic! The lexile level for Goblet of Fire is higher than that for Lord of the Flies, an accepted AP text.

Other than that, I'm not sure what middle school boys would like. I had girls.

Here is a list I found on GoodReads: https://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/middle-school

I strongly suggest higher lexile level (basically difficulty levels and vocabulary that is challenging. I explain to my students who just keep reading lower level books that they enjoy that it is fine because I want to see them reading, but unless they challenge themselves each year they will never elevate their reading skills.

Hope this helps!

Yes, I thought you were a high school teacher but couldn't remember for sure. Thanks for the links, too.

I didn't know you were retired. Congratulations, I have been retired for about a year and a half and boy is it fun, I just wish I had retired earlier. BTW, how is your daughter doing? Fine I'm sure. I just remember you posting things (not bad things) when she was a teenager.

Again, thanks for the suggestions, I had forgotten about Jack London, I remember reading a book by him when I was in Junior High but seems like it was over my head for Junior High, if I remember correctly.But, that doesn't mean anything, I was horrible in school until my last year of high school went I finally started applying myself. But I could be thinking about another book, it's been a long time ago. LOL

I bet the lunch at Poe's Tavern was fun, boy it makes me wish to be that age, again. LOL!
crap!!!! now we have to see u more.....booooooooooo....i wish i was retired

Thanks for asking Freddie. She lives in France. She studied abroad for a semester while at Carolina and ended up staying. I have been there twice to visit, and I loved it.

Thanks for asking Freddie. She lives in France. She studied abroad for a semester while at Carolina and ended up staying. I have been there twice to visit, and I loved it.

Wow, how exciting. I have just started to learn French online and hope to visit Paris someday. I think it is great when a young person takes the "bull by the horns" and just goes out and does what they want. Again, congratulations to her.

If they are interested in the Civil War or military history in general I would recommend the Killer Angels

If they are interested in the Civil War or military history in general I would recommend the Killer Angels

One of them is interested in the Civil War and I will recommend that book to their mother. Thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited:
Emako Blue is an urban favorite for that age group for boys. Easier reading is My Side of the Mountain. Old but still relevant to that age group.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT