ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How does someone skip a grade in school? Like, what is the process? I was...

I went to school with a kid who was 2 years ahead of me in rec league athletics but a year behind me in school - I was in the 8th grade and he was in 7th. The next school year I was a freshman in high school and he was a sophomore. One of the best baseball players to ever play at St. Andrew's high school but as dumb as a box of rocks.

I would personally advocate against anyone doing this. Yes it does challenge your kid with school work, but I think the social affects are not worth it. Yes you might be smart enough, but emotionally and socially you are still younger than your new peer group and it will cause problems.
It depends on the kid. If they are socially adept they will assimilate just fine. If they are not, you're right

I started Carolina in ‘82 as a 16 year old. Was a bit of a problem child in HS. I already had all of the credits that I needed. Principal thought it might be best if I did not return for my senior year. They cut a deal with me and I enrolled in Columbia. Finished finally in fall of ‘87. Slowed down so that I could get 1 more year of good football tickets!

Rooodneeeeey.....Roooodneeeeey.......

Reactions: cocks rule
I don’t recall anyone skipping a grade. But I graduated in the late 90s. There were several child geniuses in my class that probably could have. I was a C student so I was pretty much locked in.

ADVERTISEMENT