ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How's Your Hunting Season Going

I’m not hunting with a gun. To be honest I pull a gun out in sc for about 2 weekends. Usually the opening weekend and the weekend after that. That’s only to do something different. I am a huge archery guy. I shoot pretty much everyday year round to some extent.
Well, I knew the dates you gave were archery. I will be with the crossbow due to injury.

Reactions: uscg1984
Well, I knew the dates you gave were archery. I will be with the crossbow due to injury.
Good luck to you both. I imagine the Kentucky deer are similar to the ones I used to shoot in WV. There were tons of deer up there and if you are like me, mostly a meat hunter as opposed to a trophy hunter, the odds of success are very high. Sometimes I miss those days of just climbing in a stand and waiting for a deer to walk by. Hunting out here in the west is incredibly rewarding, but it's also incredibly exhausting.

Good luck to you both. I imagine the Kentucky deer are similar to the ones I used to shoot in WV. There were tons of deer up there and if you are like me, mostly a meat hunter as opposed to a trophy hunter, the odds of success are very high. Sometimes I miss those days of just climbing in a stand and waiting for a deer to walk by. Hunting out here in the west is incredibly rewarding, but it's also incredibly exhausting.
I’m a hybrid of the 2. I love deer meat but I love antlers. I can kill all the does I want in sc. I am blessed with deer on the land I hunt at home. I’m going to Kentucky to trophy hunt. A trophy for me with a bow in Kentucky would be a 130” deer.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
My 2020 hunting season officially ended Thanksgiving day when I shot good sized mule deer doe. I watched a group of does for about 20 minutes, hoping a buck would charge in checking them out. One did, but he was only a spike. Between shooting a spike buck and a doe, I decided to go with the doe.

This season marked three new species for me. I shot my first pronghorn, first elk, and first mule deer. My son also shot a mulie doe back in October, so we have full freezers and gave away some meat to some folks at church. I already can't wait til next year.

My Grandfather killed a 12 pt 240 buck on Hope Plantation in Jacksonboro many moons ago.That's still the biggest free range deer I've heard of in SC.Deer just don't have to eat as much here in SC as they do up north due to the warmer temps.I hope one day to get to Saskatchewan where the 300 pounders live.

I was finally able to get home. Took an 8 pt. a few weeks ago. Have been seeing a lot of deer where I hunt in Lynchburg, but most at the wrong times or deer that are too young to harvest. I would like to get a big doe for the freezer and other than that, I probably wont shoot anything else other than a trophy buck this season. Just thankful that I have some meat for the freezer now. Had zero last year. Kind of sucked since I grill out quite a bit and love to throw venison over charcoal. You guys being able to elk/moose hunt - I envy you. Really hope that I get the opportunity to do that one day soon.

I went this afternoon to shoot a doe. My plan was to shoot the first one as early as it came out because I didn't want to track a deer in the dark. Now its 4:30 pm and I am hunting from a metal ground blind. Being 4:30 PM, I am totally engrossed in the new Ray Tanner fiasco seen on my iphone. Why not, I never see the deer until 5:00 PM or so. Wrong, there she was, right in front of me, and stated running toward the ground blind. I was totally taken by surprise. I reach for my rifle, and clang something. She stops and turns to run away, as did a trailing yearling. I actually thought she was going to stop and I would be able to shoot. Nope, she hopped into the woods and was gone for the day. If Ray Tanner had done what he was paid very well to do, I would not have been so engrossed and would have had my deer. Ray your damage is costing the University more than just money!

That’s a nice looking buck. choot em Batgirl, choot em!
I asked Smalls if he wanted a crossbow for it, but he said no. We have a creek behind the house that has about a 20ft drop to the creek bed. With our luck he'd drop there and it would be hell getting him up the side.

Honestly, I think Smalls enjoys just being able to watch our herd (we have 2 smaller bucks and a crap ton of does), as opposed to hunting them. He'll sit on our back patio for hours just watching them. I know I enjoy watching them.

I asked Smalls if he wanted a crossbow for it, but he said no. We have a creek behind the house that has about a 20ft drop to the creek bed. With our luck he'd drop there and it would be hell getting him up the side.

Honestly, I think Smalls enjoys just being able to watch our herd (we have 2 smaller bucks and a crap ton of does), as opposed to hunting them. He'll sit on our back patio for hours just watching them. I know I enjoy watching them.
Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. I’m in the midst of a very big home renovation, and haven’t even bought my license this year. I think the deer here know that, because they think nothing about traipsing across my yard at all hours of the day and night. I got a video clip last Saturday of a scrub buck chasing a doe across my yard 😂

Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. I’m in the midst of a very big home renovation, and haven’t even bought my license this year. I think the deer here know that, because they think nothing about traipsing across my yard at all hours of the day and night. I got a video clip last Saturday of a scrub buck chasing a doe across my yard 😂
I could have shot 5 or 6 with my bow already, but I’ve been too busy with other things. I do enjoy watching them, and they don’t pay me any attention at all. They drive my dogs crazy. It’s as if they know where to go that my dogs can’t get to them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT