ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How's Your Hunting Season Going

uscg1984

Mar 9, 2006
SW Montana
It's well documented at this point how the football season is going, but how is your hunting season shaping up? Didn't the rifle season open in SC on Saturday? The pronghorn rifle season opened here in Montana on Saturday, and since I drew a tag this year, I went pronghorn hunting for the first time in my life. I spent a little over an hour hiking up to my glassing spot about 2 miles from the truck. 15 minutes after getting to my spot, I shot a pretty nice pronghorn buck. I had some incredible beginner's luck, but that's the way it goes sometimes. It probably won't be that easy next time. This Thursday and Friday, Montana has its annual 2-day youth deer hunt, so my son and I will go out and see if he can add some venison to the freezer before the regular deer/elk season opens on the 24th.

It's well documented at this point how the football season is going, but how is your hunting season shaping up? Didn't the rifle season open in SC on Saturday? The pronghorn rifle season opened here in Montana on Saturday, and since I drew a tag this year, I went pronghorn hunting for the first time in my life. I spent a little over an hour hiking up to my glassing spot about 2 miles from the truck. 15 minutes after getting to my spot, I shot a pretty nice pronghorn buck. I had some incredible beginner's luck, but that's the way it goes sometimes. It probably won't be that easy next time. This Thursday and Friday, Montana has its annual 2-day youth deer hunt, so my son and I will go out and see if he can add some venison to the freezer before the regular deer/elk season opens on the 24th.
Awesome. Upload a pic

Killed a 4 pt offa my porch at the children's request.. hunted sunday evening and saw a 1 y/o 6 pt and a nice 2 y/o 8pt that was outside the ears already...

Reactions: uscg1984
Use an image hosting site
Ugh. That sounds like way too much trouble. I was able to post a pic on a hunting forum. Here's the link:

Congratulations on your pronghorn. I see a good many deer in my yard and on my way to work. My brother sends me pics of the deer on trail cams on our deer lease. Sadly, I haven’t had time to go hunting yet

Ugh. That sounds like way too much trouble. I was able to post a pic on a hunting forum. Here's the link:
OMG. That is beautiful country. Congrats on your hunt. That’s a nice one

Congratulations sir. Great writing and great strategy.

With two small kids, it’s hard to find time to hunt! This weekend I’m taking them to my parents and my dad and I are going to spend the weekend hunting. I hope to have a buck story by Sunday evening!
Whether you have a buck story or not, I'm sure it will be quality time spent with your dad. And in a few years, you can spend some quality time hunting with your kids. My son and I have had a lot of deerless days in the woods and I think one of the primary reasons for our lack of success is that he talks all the time! But if you think for a second that I am going to complain about my teenage son actually talking to me, you haven't had a teenager. lol. I cherish that time.

My son did manage to take a good sized mule deer doe yesterday on the first day of the Montana 2-day youth hunt. He had to burn his general tag to do it, but that was his choice and he was pretty proud of it. She is as big as many of the whitetail bucks I have shot, so should yield a lot of meat.

Whether you have a buck story or not, I'm sure it will be quality time spent with your dad. And in a few years, you can spend some quality time hunting with your kids. My son and I have had a lot of deerless days in the woods and I think one of the primary reasons for our lack of success is that he talks all the time! But if you think for a second that I am going to complain about my teenage son actually talking to me, you haven't had a teenager. lol. I cherish that time.

My son did manage to take a good sized mule deer doe yesterday on the first day of the Montana 2-day youth hunt. He had to burn his general tag to do it, but that was his choice and he was pretty proud of it. She is as big as many of the whitetail bucks I have shot, so should yield a lot of meat.
Love it! Good point about your teenager talking to you. Doesn't matter when or how just be glad he's talking to you! Enjoyed reading that! Thank you sir!

It opens at various times. Zone 3 has been open since August 15. Smalls hasn't had a good season so far. There have been bigger bucks in our backyard (off Broad River Road near CHS) than he's seen at their land down in Grays. I'm about to go get him a crossbow so he can take down the big 8 point I saw Sunday in the backyard. Momma needs some meat in the freezer.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
2 legged or 4?

My son was able to make it home this past weekend from Fort Benning.He has basically been in lockdown since the Covid stuff got serious.So I was thankful and felt blessed to spend some time with him on our family farm in Colleton County Fri-Sun.To make it even more special he was able to take a nice 7 point Saturday afternoon.Since my children are now grown with families of their own I really cherish my time with them.To spend it in the deer woods made it extra special.

I just bought a cat toy for my dog, flippity fish and she likes it.. It gives her practice picking up birds and fish...

But, she can live without the catnip...

With all the talk of kids and hunting, I have a question for you experienced parent. After a long 4 year fight with infertility my wife and I are finally expecting. With that said I have long had the belief that kids that get involved into hunting get in less trouble in their teenage years. Now I understand we all go through that stage, I did as well and enjoyed breaking a few rules. But I have seen very few kids that enjoyed hunting really go off the deep end. Thoughts?

With all the talk of kids and hunting, I have a question for you experienced parent. After a long 4 year fight with infertility my wife and I are finally expecting. With that said I have long had the belief that kids that get involved into hunting get in less trouble in their teenage years. Now I understand we all go through that stage, I did as well and enjoyed breaking a few rules. But I have seen very few kids that enjoyed hunting really go off the deep end. Thoughts?
First - Congratulations!

I think it more depends on the parents. Trust me, there are plenty jackwagons out there hunting, and their kids are equally jackwagons. But overall, most hunters are level headed, and have a healthy respect for guns, nature, their fellow human being, and pass said respect to their children. If you teach your kid right and wrong, not just in hunting but in life, more often than not they'll be a good kid and not get in too much trouble (other than usual teenage stuff).

As for the guns part of hunting, it's very important that the child is taught proper gun safety, and that they see their parent exercising proper gun safety. Gun safety can never be a "do as I say, not as I do" lesson. Make sure they start learning DNR regulations long before they actually hunt. DNR has the TOMO (Take One, Make One) program for youth hunters. That's a good way to get started in hunting.

I think it probably has less to do with hunting and more to do with parental involvement. There are lots of ways for parents to spend quality time with their kids. For us, hunting is _one_ of them.
You have plenty of time to figure out what works for your family. Congratulations to you!

It was just something a couple buddies and I were spot balling about. I agree with being involved. It doesn’t so much relate to my life just a question that we kicked around.

Reactions: OldBluJacketJr
Non-existent. I spent a month working in Iowa, a few weeks in Louisiana, another month in Oregon working fire claims and am heading back to Louisiana in the morning. Am hoping I might get a chance to go over Thanksgiving.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Shot my first elk, a cow, yesterday evening, with 15 minutes left of legal shooting light. What a mistake! lol. There I was, quartering my first elk, by myself, in the darkness, in temps 5-below zero. I put almost 10 miles on my snowshoes, most of the time carrying a pack and pulling a sled loaded with meat. Fortunately, I didn't have to track her a yard, otherwise I would have been out there all night. I shot her at 6:33 and had the sled loaded in the truck at 11:30. It was great to get an elk under my belt and I'm looking forward to eating elk burgers, but I swore many times last night I will NEVER shoot a cow elk that late in the evening again unless I have buddies with me to help pack it out. Definitely one of the most exhausting things I've ever done.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Shot my first elk, a cow, yesterday evening, with 15 minutes left of legal shooting light. What a mistake! lol. There I was, quartering my first elk, by myself, in the darkness, in temps 5-below zero. I put almost 10 miles on my snowshoes, most of the time carrying a pack and pulling a sled loaded with meat. Fortunately, I didn't have to track her a yard, otherwise I would have been out there all night. I shot her at 6:33 and had the sled loaded in the truck at 11:30. It was great to get an elk under my belt and I'm looking forward to eating elk burgers, but I swore many times last night I will NEVER shoot a cow elk that late in the evening again unless I have buddies with me to help pack it out. Definitely one of the most exhausting things I've ever done.
Wow, if that’s even half true my hats off to you. I don’t mean that as an insult, only to the testament of how tough that is. Kudos to you sir.

Hunting season is one of my favorite times to fish because most sportsmen and women are in the woods. But fall has been very slow for me thus far.

Deer are a lot bigger and a lot easier up there. Amazing what limited pressure can do...well until Gun season anyways lol
I’m not hunting with a gun. To be honest I pull a gun out in sc for about 2 weekends. Usually the opening weekend and the weekend after that. That’s only to do something different. I am a huge archery guy. I shoot pretty much everyday year round to some extent.

Reactions: uscg1984
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT