ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Inflation - My wife bought a couple of nice rib-eyes at the grocery store for Father's Day and those bad boys were $24.00.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
They were nice rib-eyes not the biggest we've ever bought but nice, nonetheless, but they were the most expensive we've ever bought. It seems only a couple of months ago we paid about $16.00 for those size rib-eyes. The funny part is it rained today and we didn't want to grill out so we ordered Chinese.

I'm not saying this is Biden's or Trump's fault so let's just keep the conversation to inflation.

• Haha
Reactions: TAV31
They were nice rib-eyes not the biggest we've ever bought but nice, nonetheless, but they were the most expensive we've ever bought. It seems only a couple of months ago we paid about $16.00 for those size rib-eyes. The funny part is it rained today and we didn't want to grill out so we ordered Chinese.

I'm not saying this is Biden's or Trump's fault so let's just keep the conversation to inflation.
As the next poster pointed out- this is more of a temporary supply issue. The place where you buy them and the wuality of the meat can sway the price of steaks dramatically as well. Choice vs prime vs angus vs Kobe… For instance.

Not saying inflation is not on the uptick, it certainly is! It is not as rampant yet as many expected it to be at this point though… Outside of lumber and some food items, the broader price index has not shot up and the bond market (more anticipatory than the stock market) is not pricing in for rampant inflation at the rate many expected it should be right now. That is generally the first place we see movement that tells us bad inflation is coming. The Feds have just started making mention of a potential rate increase and this is right in line with their long term forecasts over the past couple of years.

Freddie @ yer age thought u’d be splitting one with her😆😉

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Freddie @ yer age thought u’d be splitting one with her😆😉
I can still eat one by myself, at least for now! LOL! Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how one choses to look at it I still have a very healthy appetite.

Another thing could be the "Quality" or "Grade" of the cuts. Most cuts in supermarkets (Kroger, Aldis, Publix, Harris Teeter, etc.) are going to be "Choice" quality. Which is an ok cut. But, not outstanding.

The last couple of trips to Kroger here in Lexington I've found a few packages of "Prime" stuck into the meat case without a great deal of labelling. The higher quality designation is much more expensive.

It's possible Kroger is making these higher quality grades of beef available because with the shortage that is all they can get at this time.

the central government experts shut down the economy last year

the true contributors to our prosperity will be back in a blink of the eye

good luck, fuempsum

nothing political intended in this response

go cocks!

the central government experts shut down the economy last year

the true contributors to our prosperity will be back in a blink of the eye

good luck, fuempsum

nothing political intended in this response

go cocks!

cUP9Ww.gif

We just spent $475.00 tonight at New York Prime in Myrtle Beach. I had a bone in rib eye and my wife had a petit filet mignon. We also had several bar drinks and wine. No regrets at all, it was a fabulous meal and prepared well. You got a bargain, even at the inflated cost.

Reactions: Bear_Rooster
Yeah, we hit up Burbage meat market in Goose Creek for about $200 for a rack of ribeyes for yesterday. The pricing is almost double now. But my biggest complaint in general is that our beef quality has gone down so much in the last few years. It's hard to buy or find a restaurant w quality steaks right now. Something is up with how the cows are being raised or foods they are being given.

Grocery store steaks suck compared to what you can get in a meat market. Go to Old Timey Meats on Rosewood and get thick boneless ribeyes for $17.95/lb . . . you may never buy another grocery store steak ever again . . . knowing how to cook them properly is key.

You can order steaks from Oak Steakhouse. Roughly $40 a steak but they're freaking amazing. They come vacuum packed with dry ice, etc.

An investment advisory service I follow says this inflation is "transitory" and believes that over the next 6-12 months, we will see shortages easing.

My personal opinion is that we will see higher inflation than we have in recent decades because inflation seems to go in 40-year cycles. We will have stagflation (slow growth economy with inflation) like in the Christie Brinkley/Cheryl Tiegs days (1970s). Double digit inflation like back then???? NO. But inflation will be elevated. If I'm right, then my early career would have started with stagflation and my later life experience stagflation. As they say, history does not repeat but, it does rhyme. But, I'm no analyst. I know little and claim less.

Well, we just ate the rib-eyes today and the were delicious regardless of price. They were much better than any you could be in a restaurant.

Reactions: chief2791
Well, we just ate the rib-eyes today and the were delicious regardless of price. They were much better than any you could be in a restaurant.

Really, I cook rib eyes out nearly every Saturday and when I come down here to the beach and get a bone in rib eye, Pittsburg style, medium, I marvel at the quality of the meat and by the way that it has been cooked to perfection. Yes, it costs $70.00 a plate, but for me, that is well worth it. I have one once or twice a year, depending on my vacation schedule.

I know you have been posting about vacation recently. We just got back from a vacation and by far the food prices were the the largest part of the cost we have ever experienced. If you are still planning that trip, put a little extra in the wallet to deal with chowing down.

Yeah, we hit up Burbage meat market in Goose Creek for about $200 for a rack of ribeyes for yesterday. The pricing is almost double now. But my biggest complaint in general is that our beef quality has gone down so much in the last few years. It's hard to buy or find a restaurant w quality steaks right now. Something is up with how the cows are being raised or foods they are being given.
Soylent Green

Really, I cook rib eyes out nearly every Saturday and when I come down here to the beach and get a bone in rib eye, Pittsburg style, medium, I marvel at the quality of the meat and by the way that it has been cooked to perfection. Yes, it costs $70.00 a plate, but for me, that is well worth it. I have one once or twice a year, depending on my vacation schedule.

I eaten rib-eyes out at restaurants and I've yet to find one as good as my wife can grill. She grills the steaks to perfection, e.g., just the right amount of pink I like inside and the outside is good and done,

We just spent $475.00 tonight at New York Prime in Myrtle Beach. I had a bone in rib eye and my wife had a petit filet mignon. We also had several bar drinks and wine. No regrets at all, it was a fabulous meal and prepared well. You got a bargain, even at the inflated cost.
Sounds like a business meal I attended last week. Twelve of us and it was north of $2500. I’m glad I didn’t have to expense that meal 😀😀. It was an amazing meal though.

Every time my wife and I go to Ruth’s Chris or Larkin’s, it’s in the $275 range, with appetizers, food and wine. In my opinion, the food and experience is well worth it, as we don’t go to those places often.

I know alot of you don’t shop harris teeter,but if you shop the specials(filets,ribeyes,and porterhouses alternate every third week….they are simply BETTER cuts of beef than any i,ve had…choice angus reserve ,BORDERING on prime (harris teeter also does dry aged beef but its more expensive) and I actually prefer the “normal” age times….i challenge everyone to the quality of harris teeter beef…7.99 to 9.99 for ribeye and porterhouses and filets are 12.99 to 13.99… unbeatable IMO

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I've never eaten that will have to give it a try.
An outlaw ribeye from longhorn IS absolutely the best 25-30:dollar ribeye…i have eaten MANY 100 dollar plus ruths chris ribeyes and they are honestly not in longhorns class..flame away,but just my opinion( honestly the bone in filet is the ONLY steak on ruths chris menu that is better,and thats an absolute judgement call).. freddy go for the outlaw ribeye and it is SOLID man…

Inflation is a ticking time bomb just waiting to go off, but even worse I think stagflation is on the horizon.

But in keeping with OP’s wishes, I’ll recommend Costco as money well spent to get quality cuts at a still somewhat reasonable price.

I eaten rib-eyes out at restaurants and I've yet to find one as good as my wife can grill. She grills the steaks to perfection, e.g., just the right amount of pink I like inside and the outside is good and done,
Same here, except I'm the one grilling. If it's a cut of meat, it'll be hard for it to be better than coming off of my grill.

We grill 4-6 nights a week (lump charcoal, don't own anything gas). Steaks, chicken, chops, whatever. We shop the specials at Publix, they generally have better grade than the other grocery stores. My wife likes tenderloin, so when the whole ones go on sale, I buy them, cut them, and freeze them individually. I'm more of a ribeye/NY strip guy. Same there...when they go on sale, I buy them and freeze them. Got a strip and filet thawing right now for this evening, to go along with fresh green beans and squash.

We just don't eat out much. Can't remember the last time that we did a sit down meal, although when we go to baseball games and time is short we'll get a Chick-fil-A or a pizza. We do a loose low-carb diet, meat and veggies is what we eat 90-95% of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT