ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Interesting find on Venus

That poster made an appropriate, comparative comment, not responding to any one particular post. And you, in your snooty, highbrow, intellectual, and elitist manner have no response except ridicule. We call bull s*it on that in Fingerville.
Comparing the discovery of bacteria living on Venus to the discussion of when life is defined for abortions was an appropriate comparative comment? I believe you are the only one resorting to ridicule and name calling here. I do appreciate the highbrow compliment though! Certainly better than the alternative! 👀

Reactions: funktavious
A living organism.

As far as they know, phosphine has a biological origin...based on what we know now.

My bigger question is this: what would it matter if they found bacteria in the atmosphere of Venus? It would be interesting, and that's about it.

The effort to find life on another planet has been the biggest boondoggle in history.
Here an article about the Nasa Scientist who found living organisms in Mars soil in the 1970s.

The experiment loosely described in This article is only one he talks about in other interviews. Back in the 1970s, Nasa’s criteria for positive life detection would have been about 3 million bacteria in approx a thimble full of soil. Levin was able conduct more sensitive tests of the same soil that could detect down to 300 bacteria in a thimble of soil.. he got a positive, Nasa’s criteria came up negative. Both results could be true, obviously, but Nasa would not confirm the findings below 3Million parts so they did not record his results.

This story also speaks to something else you said about how desperate the Search to prove life exists on other planets is and what a waste it is... If they were really so devoted and obsessed with proving this, why has no subsequent Mars rover been equipped with life detection kits? Similar to the ones described here, they have more sensitive detection equipment they Could easily add to the rovers and after such a close call once before, you would think those desperate to prove Extraterrestrial life exists might actually put kits on the rovers that could detect said life. The fact they have not is suspicious honestly...

They found a single chemical compound often found on earth associated with life, that life existed or exists is a pretty big leap to take from that one find. The problem with the logic that this supports life, is that there are a lot (hundreds) of other chemicals and amino acids that are almost always present when life exists. But those are nowhere to be found at Venus. Doesn't that give better proof that there isn't and hasn't been life on Venus?

That poster made an appropriate, comparative comment, not responding to any one particular post. And you, in your snooty, highbrow, intellectual, and elitist manner have no response except ridicule. We call bull s*it on that in Fingerville.
Appropriate... ok. Since "life" is being discussed in this thread, you certainly wouldn't have an issue with someone dropping a simple comment such as, "Black Lives Matter".

Right?

Reactions: funktavious
They found a single chemical compound often found on earth associated with life, that life existed or exists is a pretty big leap to take from that one find. The problem with the logic that this supports life, is that there are a lot (hundreds) of other chemicals and amino acids that are almost always present when life exists. But those are nowhere to be found at Venus. Doesn't that give better proof that there isn't and hasn't been life on Venus?
This is not about chemicals being present that allow life as we know it to exist. Life as we know it can NOT exist on venus! The surface temps are hot enough to MELT LEAD and the atmosphere is like 90% sulphuric acid... phosphine is not a building block of life, it is basically a gas-crated by the guts and feces of living organism or the rotting corpses of organisms.. (or in laboratories for specific industrial purposes). It is also existing in an environment in Venus’ clouds that would normally destroy phosphine rapidly, which means in essence it is being created as fast (faster?) than the environment destroys it... So if it it were brought in by a meteorite or something one off like that, it would disipate rapidly- something is replacing it in the atmosphere. Inorganic compounds do not produce this chemical normally apparently... So... Either organic compounds are creating it or there is a complex lab on Venus creating industrial chemicals. Either way it seems to be an indicator of life of some sort... Obviously as this is a surprise to scientists they readily admit is is proof that at the very least we need to study Venus more since this is not what we expected to find there!

Here an article about the Nasa Scientist who found living organisms in Mars soil in the 1970s.

The experiment loosely described in This article is only one he talks about in other interviews. Back in the 1970s, Nasa’s criteria for positive life detection would have been about 3 million bacteria in approx a thimble full of soil. Levin was able conduct more sensitive tests of the same soil that could detect down to 300 bacteria in a thimble of soil.. he got a positive, Nasa’s criteria came up negative. Both results could be true, obviously, but Nasa would not confirm the findings below 3Million parts so they did not record his results.

This story also speaks to something else you said about how desperate the Search to prove life exists on other planets is and what a waste it is... If they were really so devoted and obsessed with proving this, why has no subsequent Mars rover been equipped with life detection kits? Similar to the ones described here, they have more sensitive detection equipment they Could easily add to the rovers and after such a close call once before, you would think those desperate to prove Extraterrestrial life exists might actually put kits on the rovers that could detect said life. The fact they have not is suspicious honestly...

Article just says they observed chemical reactions that are consistent with life.

Article just says they observed chemical reactions that are consistent with life.
Right... That is how they detect life. The chemical reactions are the consumption of the “food” they added to the soil... Put quite simply “dirt don’t eat”.

This is not about chemicals being present that allow life as we know it to exist. Life as we know it can NOT exist on venus! The surface temps are hot enough to MELT LEAD and the atmosphere is like 90% sulphuric acid... phosphine is not a building block of life, it is basically a gas-crated by the guts and feces of living organism or the rotting corpses of organisms.. (or in laboratories for specific industrial purposes). It is also existing in an environment in Venus’ clouds that would normally destroy phosphine rapidly, which means in essence it is being created as fast (faster?) than the environment destroys it... So if it it were brought in by a meteorite or something one off like that, it would disipate rapidly- something is replacing it in the atmosphere. Inorganic compounds do not produce this chemical normally apparently... So... Either organic compounds are creating it or there is a complex lab on Venus creating industrial chemicals. Either way it seems to be an indicator of life of some sort... Obviously as this is a surprise to scientists they readily admit is is proof that at the very least we need to study Venus more since this is not what we expected to find there!

So we live in the acid clouds in super tall mansions like the Jetsons. Not sure what the big deal is.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
Right... That is how they detect life. The chemical reactions are the consumption of the “food” they added to the soil... Put quite simply “dirt don’t eat”.

I get it, but that's based on the chemical reactions we know of here on earth.

Mine is a total amateur take, as I'm not an expert at all in organic chemistry. But my suspicion is that this would have something to do with Venus' volcanic activity.

Like Earth, Venus is volcanically active. Unlike Earth, however, it doesn't really have plate tectonics and continental drift. So if a meteor impacted into the crust, it wouldn't necessarily be subducted into the mantle. It might just kind of sit there as a permanent reservoir. Then perhaps a volcanic vent could have pushed up and intersected one of these reservoirs, boiling the contents out into the atmosphere.

I would love for it to be life, but something like this feels more like an Occam's Razor explanation to me.

Reactions: Tyrannosaurus cox
So we live in the acid clouds in super tall mansions like the Jetsons. Not sure what the big deal is.
Sounds better than where I grew up TBH... Allendale SC needs to be consumed by an acid cloud! LOL

Mine is a total amateur take, as I'm not an expert at all in organic chemistry. But my suspicion is that this would have something to do with Venus' volcanic activity.

Like Earth, Venus is volcanically active. Unlike Earth, however, it doesn't really have plate tectonics and continental drift. So if a meteor impacted into the crust, it wouldn't necessarily be subducted into the mantle. It might just kind of sit there as a permanent reservoir. Then perhaps a volcanic vent could have pushed up and intersected one of these reservoirs, boiling the contents out into the atmosphere.

I would love for it to be life, but something like this feels more like an Occam's Razor explanation to me.
A well thought out hypothesis!

Reactions: JComp
Sentient life found on other planets would be impressive. Finding life on other planets is interesting but not unexpected. None of that challenges my faith. FWIW

Sentient life found on other planets would be impressive. Finding life on other planets is interesting but not unexpected. None of that challenges my faith. FWIW
Good! I am not a religious person myself but I certainly have no issues with anyone if they are.
what bothers me is religious and political fanaticism that drives people to act out of character, or ignore things like scientific evidence simply because it does not align with their ideology. You clearly do not seem to have that affliction entangled with your faith. Good for you Va!

Comparing the discovery of bacteria living on Venus to the discussion of when life is defined for abortions was an appropriate comparative comment? I believe you are the only one resorting to ridicule and name calling here. I do appreciate the highbrow compliment though! Certainly better than the alternative! 👀
You’re the one who claimed the poster was politicizing the matter. There was nothing political about It. His comment was a moral statement. I’ll assume you don’t understand that as I’ve made it clear twice now. As far as the ”highbrow” goes, it wasn’t intended as a compliment. I’ll assume also that you do understand that.

Good! I am not a religious person myself but I certainly have no issues with anyone if they are.
what bothers me is religious and political fanaticism that drives people to act out of character, or ignore things like scientific evidence simply because it does not align with their ideology. You clearly do not seem to have that affliction entangled with your faith. Good for you Va!

Not to go off topic on my own thread but something I’ve always wondered is,If there is an all powerful god,why would he go through the trouble and make the entire universe and just put life on this one small planet?

Not to go off topic on my own thread but something I’ve always wondered is,If there is an all powerful god,why would he go through the trouble and make the entire universe and just put life on this one small planet?

I've talked to some religious/Christian folk and they had what I thought was a pretty reasonable answer for their perspective.

One part of the answer is that God made everything just to be a demonstration of His greatness and power. The vastness and greatness of the universe makes them stand in awe of God's creative power. Basically, they say He made all the stuff in the universe because He could. There doesn't have to be a human explanation for it.

As far as life being only on this planet, they would just say it's part of the design. It demonstrates that there's something special about earth and more particular something special about people.

There's a verse somewhere in the Bible about who are we to talk back to the creator.

Edit: Romans 9:20 - But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?'" (thanks Google)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT