ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is it sexist for a man to offer a lady his seat /chair

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
if there are no other seats/chairs available in a given setting?

I would like to see a lot of our lady posters respond.

This was a topic of discuss on the Michael Strahan and (whoever his co-host is) show the other day. I didn't get to hear all the comments but was just wondering in this world of extreme PC we live in today what is considered good manners? I want to say Strahan said he wouldn't offer his seat to a younger woman but again I didn't get to listen to the comments.

I have always offer my seat / chair to a woman when there are no other seats available, just because it was considered good manners and that was the way I was taught many many years ago.

But is it considered sexiest TODAY for a man to offer his seat/chair to a woman?

EDIT: Yes, I misspelled sexist and have since corrected the misspelling. If I don't get a red line I just go with whatever I typed. LOL!

Last edited:
Would you offer your seat to a same sex individual that you outweigh by 20 or more pounds to be nice?

At my age, knees and back, she better need the seat because of a disability.

Yes, it is sexist because you are doing it because she is a woman. But so what? They are the weaker sex, right?

(Ducking)

At my age, knees and back, she better need the seat because of a disability.

Yes, it is sexist because you are doing it because she is a woman. But so what? They are the weaker sex, right?

(Ducking)

If a male has medical issues then of course not.

if there are no other seats/chairs available in today's world? I would like to see a lot of our lady posters respond.

This was a topic of discuss on the Michael Strahan and (whoever his co-host is) show the other day. I didn't get to hear all the comments but was just wondering in this world of extreme PC we live in today, what is considered good manners? I want to say Strahan said he wouldn't offer his seat to a younger woman but again I didn't get to listen to the comments.

I always offer my seat / chair to a woman when there are no other seats available, just because it was considered good manners and that was the way I was taught many many years ago.

But is it considered sexiest TODAY for a man to offer his seat/chair to a woman?
Fun post Freddie, but no one is answering it. You did not ask was it sexist. You asked if it was sexiest. (Pre editing if any). It's definitely "sexiest" to offer your seat to a woman or someone needy because women that actually like men will be impressed by that act.

From a lady's perspective, it is still quite acceptable, and welcome, for a gentleman to offer his seat to a lady, if there are no other seats available. A gentleman offered me his seat at Firestone recently in an otherwise packed lobby. The Firestone employee was in the process of getting me his desk chair to sit in. The gentlemen allowed me the more comfortable chair, and sat in the desk chair. I appreciated the act of chivalry, and am teaching Jones to do the same for ladies.

if there are no other seats/chairs available in today's world? I would like to see a lot of our lady posters respond.

This was a topic of discuss on the Michael Strahan and (whoever his co-host is) show the other day. I didn't get to hear all the comments but was just wondering in this world of extreme PC we live in today, what is considered good manners? I want to say Strahan said he wouldn't offer his seat to a younger woman but again I didn't get to listen to the comments.

I always offer my seat / chair to a woman when there are no other seats available, just because it was considered good manners and that was the way I was taught many many years ago.

Good Question ...
I Always give my chair to the lady or the elderly.. Also don't let any lady pump gas if you are around especially the elderly. Always open doors and pull out chairs.. From what I've been told, it's an endearing quality.... And it also feels good to do those things for people... jmo.

It's nice/mannerly. Same for opening a door for a woman or waiting for a woman to get on an elevator. I usually mouth under my breath if a guy doesn't do those things but I don't consider it sexist if they do. These days most people are too involved in their phones to see other people around them.

Good Question ...
I Always give my chair to the lady or the elderly.. Also don't let any lady pump gas if you are around especially the elderly. Always open doors and pull out chairs.. From what I've been told, it's an endearing quality.... And it also feels good to do those things for people... jmo.
My 14 year old won't let me pump my gas if he's with me. He also opens doors for others (not just ladies) and pulls out chairs. He also takes his hat off inside, especially at the table. It gets on my last nerve when I see men at a table with a hat on.

My 14 year old won't let me pump my gas if he's with me. He also opens doors for others (not just ladies) and pulls out chairs. He also takes his hat off inside, especially at the table. It gets on my last nerve when I see men at a table with a hat on.
Sorry, we forgot to wash/comb it or it's falling out!

Reactions: Johnnie Cockran

I will always offer my chair to women and those older than me.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I pumped gas for an elderly lady yesterday and she looked up at me and said your mother must be really proud of you, tell her she did a good job raising you... It was sweet of her to say.. It sounds like your son is a solid young man.. It's refreshing to know that some still teach these values. Gives me hope.

Perfect.....your 14-year old is going to be very successful in life. Thank you for your teachings.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
My 102 year old grandmother will still call a man out if he's wearing a hat at the table.

That's something I don't do that I should do is take my hat off at the table. Now for Sunday dinner I don't have a hat on but during the week I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: fowl_mood
I really do not care what they think. I was taught to be polite to ladies, children and the elderly at all cost. If I do not act that way and if I ever see my Mother again, on the other side, she will kick my butt!

My mom would do likewise to me if I didn't use good manners.

Good Question ...
Completely agree. The one common courtesy that I see most often violated by men is when they allow the lady to walk on the streetside.

Completely agree. The one common courtesy that I see most often violated by men is when they allow the lady to walk on the streetside.
Yes, that's a Dead giveaway that they aren't thinking of there lady

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT