ADVERTISEMENT

OT...I've never seen a paving project..

cocky2atee

Sep 13, 2006
more FUBARED than Columbiana drive...less than a half mile stretch has been under construction (paving) for over 3 months...working at night and still can't get it done. potholes after new material is put down...an absolute joke

more FUBARED than Columbiana drive...less than a half mile stretch has been under construction (paving) for over 3 months...working at night and still can't get it done. potholes after new material is put down...an absolute joke
Lived in Irmo for 8 years and it was a constant "trying to figure the routes" to avoid roadwork, hourly traffic, Irmo High, and traffic off I-26. If you would have had to add Columbiana Drive to the mix I would have just stayed home....lol.

Take a drive down Barr Rd near Lexington. We MIGHT just have them beat with the crapola paving job this contractor is doing. I honestly don't think these guys have a single clue as to what they are doing out here, it just seems they get on their equipment in the morning and ride it all day, and at the end of the day it's actually worse than the day before. The temporary topping they are putting on is FAR worse than it was before, it gets pot holes and big cracks in it just one day after laying it down, then they are start patching these bad places with asphalt which doesn't last a day or two. What a mess....

Reactions: tjdisbrow
Seriously, what you guys are describing often indicates fraud. Sounds like someone in the government is giving contracts to their brother in law.

Reactions: PersonallyFowl
Seriously, what you guys are describing often indicates fraud. Sounds like someone in the government is giving contracts to their brother in law.
Why the hell can't we simply contract with a European firm to build and repair our roads. The French, Germans, and Italians know what the hell they are doing and what they build or fix lasts for decades..!!! They all build their super highways to handle speeds in excess of 200 MPH. Why can't we learn from them? We do not need highways to handle those kinds of speeds, but it would be nice to simply have highways that last more than a few weeks. Come on Mrs. Governor, wake up....learn from the Europeans. Hire someone who will do it right...!!!

Why the hell can't we simply contract with a European firm to build and repair our roads. The French, Germans, and Italians know what the hell they are doing and what they build or fix lasts for decades..!!! They all build their super highways to handle speeds in excess of 200 MPH. Why can't we learn from them? We do not need highways to handle those kinds of speeds, but it would be nice to simply have highways that last more than a few weeks. Come on Mrs. Governor, wake up....learn from the Europeans. Hire someone who will do it right...!!!

Good luck with that! 'Agenda Politics' trumps reality. We have a BIG problem with our roads. A real mess.

Reactions: RayGilda
I am pretty sure you still don't need any kind of liscensure to become a paving contractor in this state.

pay em by the mile instead of by the hour & yer roads would be completed.

Reactions: chick75
Fubar describes that Columbiana Dr. situation to a "T". What in the wide wide world of sports is goin' on there?!? LOL! What's so hard about paving a 1/2mi stretch of road?!??! Incompetence to the MAX!!! The best it's been was when they first chewed up the top 2" of surface. At this point, it would have been best if they had done that and quit while they were ahead!

And Kebo, are you talking about Barr Rd. out toward Gilbert? From the CC on out to where it turns into Two Notch and splits with Wire road is perhaps the worst stretch of road in Lexington County! It's an obstacle course I have to drive every day!

Last edited:
Welcome to LOW BID contractors. Most of them do not even attempt to complete the work that was scoped. Out of town contractors. It is not just the roads. Once projects are completed, the amount of money that is spent to maintain and repair low bid contract work is 10 times higher..

Good luck with that! 'Agenda Politics' trumps reality. We have a BIG problem with our roads. A real mess.
Our state legislature was worried this session with Sharia Law - apparently they're not aware of the First Amendment already forbids it and the demographic composition of the state makes it beyond absurd - but they can't bother to deal with our roads that look like they've been chewed up by artillery fire.

That year-or-so-long project on I-20 around the clemson Road exit? It already has a bumpy patched area. Sigh...

And Kebo, are you talking about Barr Rd. out toward Gilbert? From the CC on out to where it turns into Two Notch and splits with Wire road is perhaps the worst stretch of road in Lexington County! It's an obstacle course I have to drive every day!

Yes, that's it. Barr Rd turns off #1 (right next to Jim Hudson Ford) and goes to the 4-way stop at the Lexington Country Club. That entire 4 mile length is being re-paved (I assume that's what they are trying to do) and you know exactly what I'm talking about, since they started construction (or destruction) of it. My sub is about midway the length of it, so I get to drive it every day.

I don't know what the hell they are doing on Barr Road. It is unlike any road "work" I have ever seen. Like, literally everyone I talk to in my neighborhood about it is like "Uh, what is this?"

SCDOT approves the asphalt mixes and then the asphalt companies produce the mix and pave the roads. It all starts at SCDOT.

take pictures of it and send them to all the local tv stations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT