ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Joaquin vs Hugo

Cshot411

Dec 29, 2005
It's still too early to know the full damage of Joaquin on SC, but I'm wondering for those of you that were around...how is this comparing to when Hugo hit? I was only 5 at the time, so I obviously don't have much recollection of the toll it took.

Do you mean for Columbia specifically? Obviously there's no comparison if you're talking about the state as a whole.

Joaquin never made landfall on the east coast. It spun off into the Atlantic over Bermuda. It had little impact if any on SC. All of this rain was from a separate system that just stalled over SC for a few days.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
For the state as a whole, Hugo was worst. A lot of rebuilding was needed after Hugo, houses did not stand after it. Plus it wiped out a lot of timber that is just now recovering.

Joaquin never made landfall on the east coast. It spun off into the Atlantic over Bermuda. It had little impact if any on SC. All of this rain was from a separate system that just stalled over SC for a few days.

Yes, while the above statement was true, it is also false. If Joaquin was never the Atlantic, we would have never had this much rain.

Do you mean for Columbia specifically? Obviously there's no comparison if you're talking about the state as a whole.
I did mean moreso for Columbia in general since the upstate obviously hasn't had anywhere near the impact the midlands down to the coast have.

Seriously?In Calhoun County we saw both equally. This is childs play compared to Hugo. Some towns didn't have power for a month or so. Timberlands looked like Hiroshima and the mosquitos were terrible for three months having been pushed in from the coast. The Isle of Palms was cut in half, 50 foot boats ended up on golf courses. No sure how many coastal homes above Charleston were left intact...a low %. People died including a close friend.

The rain we got was spun off by Joaquin.

I'm in the Lowcountry and went through both. Hugo was scary as hell, trees down, power out for several weeks, people stranded but the bottom line is (for the most part) Hugo left people with their property to rebuild. This Joaquin flooding is once in a lifetime and is taking everything from those in the flooded areas. Hugo never had this much flooding, and the flooding that did occur drained very quickly. This stuff is just standing around.

Yep, remember Hugo well. I was 12. Did a ton of damage along the coast-especially Charleston, McCellanville and Georgetown, Clarendon and Sumter counties due to strong winds and storm surge. I believe it cut Pawleys Island in two pieces due to the storm surge. The wind was scary. I remember hearing it scream all night long in my home in Irmo. We were out of power for a week. Remember relying on candles every night to light up the house.

Is SportsSuites1 all right? Has anyone heard from him? I hope his home on the ICW wasn't washed away!

It's still too early to know the full damage of Joaquin on SC, but I'm wondering for those of you that were around...how is this comparing to when Hugo hit? I was only 5 at the time, so I obviously don't have much recollection of the toll it took.

This flooding was only vaguely associated with Joaquin; the rain was caused by an upper level low that stayed camped out to our southwest. The only association with Joaquin is that the upper low siphoned some of its moisture from the hurricane.

I'm in the Lowcountry and went through both. Hugo was scary as hell, trees down, power out for several weeks, people stranded but the bottom line is (for the most part) Hugo left people with their property to rebuild. This Joaquin flooding is once in a lifetime and is taking everything from those in the flooded areas. Hugo never had this much flooding, and the flooding that did occur drained very quickly. This stuff is just standing around.

I was in Charleston for Hugo... and there was a 20 ft storm surge, so yes there was flooding. This flooding going on now is NOT comparable with Hugo at all. Hugo leveled everything in its path. Add 150 mph winds, tornados, and a storm surge to this flooding... then you'd have Hugo.

This flooding was only vaguely associated with Joaquin; the rain was caused by an upper level low that stayed camped out to our southwest. The only association with Joaquin is that the upper low siphoned some of its moisture from the hurricane.
The term the weather man used was "firehose" moisture from Joaquin straight into SC, not siphoned. That sounds like a lot of moisture to me.

The term the weather man used was "firehose" moisture from Joaquin straight into SC, not siphoned. That sounds like a lot of moisture to me.

In columbia for both...hugo scarier, albeit i was 21 and not very scared at the time. As for columbia, flooding yesterday and today far worse. infrastructure damage far worse. cost, far more. deaths at 10 or so...more. these are not houses built for flooding.....almost all above flood zone without flood insurance...I could hear the flood waters over the rainfall in the dark....no idea where they were coming from.

Hugo was in and out in a flash and we had plenty of warning. Interestingly, the winds were similar in Charleston as they were almost all the way up to Charlotte. It was not like we did not see it coming. I was cleaning out houses today that are nowhere near anything but a tiny creek that erupted when a dam on federal property breached. As a beach property owner, I understand that my beach property could flood, and it is a risk I take, and pay for insurance. It is on pilings for a reason. Yesterday, houses flooded and filled with water in the middle of the night, forcing some to hide out at highest point in house while they could hear and barely see water fill up to the ceilings below, some escaping through upstairs windows. I guarantee that not one person could have guessed some of the houses that flooded and some of the miracles that occurred to keep the death toll as low as it currently is.

But I suspect the cost due to roads and bridges are going to be far worse when all said and done. This will likely be the costliest storm in SC history. I think Hugo brought about 8 inches of rain, so flooding outside of the storm surges was not nearly as bad. This is from Columbia through Charleston....there is a ton of sewage from the upstate that normally gets treated in Columbia headed through the low country now, mixed in with the debris filled flood waters. Roads are trashed.

Its not a contest...both devastating. But there are nearly $50 million in damages in my neighborhood alone....this will easily eclipse the 5.7 billion from hugo, even adjusted for inflation. Loss of life is going to very similar. Just sad.

I will say one thing....the past and/or current army core of engineers on Ft Jackson are not very bright or pretty lazy. 80% of the Gills Creek flooding is because of their dam that turned Wildcat creek into the congaree for about 1 hour. Waters rose in the affected neighborhoods in minutes...no warning. I am sure the pics will be all over the place soon. The track it tore through the woods is amazing. Looks worse than a tornado path. Water may not be sexy as high winds, but deadlier.

Reactions: DarkCock
In columbia for both...hugo scarier, albeit i was 21 and not very scared at the time. As for columbia, flooding yesterday and today far worse. infrastructure damage far worse. cost, far more. deaths at 10 or so...more. these are not houses built for flooding.....almost all above flood zone without flood insurance...I could hear the flood waters over the rainfall in the dark....no idea where they were coming from.

Hugo was in and out in a flash and we had plenty of warning. Interestingly, the winds were similar in Charleston as they were almost all the way up to Charlotte. It was not like we did not see it coming. I was cleaning out houses today that are nowhere near anything but a tiny creek that erupted when a dam on federal property breached. As a beach property owner, I understand that my beach property could flood, and it is a risk I take, and pay for insurance. It is on pilings for a reason. Yesterday, houses flooded and filled with water in the middle of the night, forcing some to hide out at highest point in house while they could hear and barely see water fill up to the ceilings below, some escaping through upstairs windows. I guarantee that not one person could have guessed some of the houses that flooded and some of the miracles that occurred to keep the death toll as low as it currently is.

But I suspect the cost due to roads and bridges are going to be far worse when all said and done. This will likely be the costliest storm in SC history. I think Hugo brought about 8 inches of rain, so flooding outside of the storm surges was not nearly as bad. This is from Columbia through Charleston....there is a ton of sewage from the upstate that normally gets treated in Columbia headed through the low country now, mixed in with the debris filled flood waters. Roads are trashed.

Its not a contest...both devastating. But there are nearly $50 million in damages in my neighborhood alone....this will easily eclipse the 5.7 billion from hugo, even adjusted for inflation. Loss of life is going to very similar. Just sad.

I will say one thing....the past and/or current army core of engineers on Ft Jackson are not very bright or pretty lazy. 80% of the Gills Creek flooding is because of their dam that turned Wildcat creek into the congaree for about 1 hour. Waters rose in the affected neighborhoods in minutes...no warning. I am sure the pics will be all over the place soon. The track it tore through the woods is amazing. Looks worse than a tornado path. Water may not be sexy as high winds, but deadlier.

Very good comparisons between the two storms as it relates to the Columbia area.

This storm will probably be more costly to Columbia when all is said and done. However, Hugo was the most costly storm in US history at that time. Sustained winds from Hugo were 140mph when it hit Isle of Palms making it a category 4 hurricane. Wind speeds were actually slightly higher than Katrina when it made landfall in Louisiana. I lived through both storms and IMHO Hugo was by far more devasting and widespread over South Carolina. Columbia wasn't hit as hard by Hugo as many areas to the East and South, however.

Last edited:
Flooding will be worse with this system. It is still not done. Another dam just broke near the northeast. I teach at a school out there and feel for all those families.

Damage worse than I thought after spending another day in the Forest Acres area....at least 100 houses around the lakes will be gutted. Another 50 or more below the lakes, and at least 25 million in commercial damage along Jackson Blvd. Just now watching news of damages elsewhere....I estimate most have no flood insurance as they were not in flood zones. FEMA tops out at 33k......columbia does not have the wealth of charleston or greenville for that matter..... this will cripple many families. I encourage those who think they know, but don't really know, to do as the wise man does.

If you are relying on news outlets or facebook, you are way underestimating the damages and horrors. People are still in shock. I had no frickin idea on saturday what was coming....I made fun of the mist....I admit I was stupid and ignorant. The stories will come out. I am more than amazed the death toll is so low. I heard eye witness stories today of just crazy rescues. All made by normal people as the emergency teams were not able to do much, including firefighters. The pictures you see online and on the news are after the fact.

We have a creek bed about 6 feet in width (creek itself 2 feet) that is now 30 yards across with every tree down. Ass kicking water that came from nowhere.

Hugo much worse. The damage much more widespread. We have pockets of devastation with this. With Hugo it was a huge swath.

Damage worse than I thought after spending another day in the Forest Acres area....at least 100 houses around the lakes will be gutted. Another 50 or more below the lakes, and at least 25 million in commercial damage along Jackson Blvd. Just now watching news of damages elsewhere....I estimate most have no flood insurance as they were not in flood zones. FEMA tops out at 33k......columbia does not have the wealth of charleston or greenville for that matter..... this will cripple many families. I encourage those who think they know, but don't really know, to do as the wise man does.

If you are relying on news outlets or facebook, you are way underestimating the damages and horrors. People are still in shock. I had no frickin idea on saturday what was coming....I made fun of the mist....I admit I was stupid and ignorant. The stories will come out. I am more than amazed the death toll is so low. I heard eye witness stories today of just crazy rescues. All made by normal people as the emergency teams were not able to do much, including firefighters. The pictures you see online and on the news are after the fact.

We have a creek bed about 6 feet in width (creek itself 2 feet) that is now 30 yards across with every tree down. Ass kicking water that came from nowhere.

FEMA does not top out at 33K. You get a limit on it just like you do your standard homeowners policy. The limit for a standard dwelling is $250k plus what you elect for contents if you desire.

The limit is more for Commercial Policies and RCBAP which is for apartment/condo complex units.

FEMA does not top out at 33K. You get a limit on it just like you do your standard homeowners policy. The limit for a standard dwelling is $250k plus what you elect for contents if you desire.

The limit is more for Commercial Policies and RCBAP which is for apartment/condo complex units.

Sorry, to clarify, the 33k is the top end for disaster relief for uninsured. FEMA flood insurance tops at 250k but may require complete rebuild for homes in flood zones. Just relaying what the people who lost their homes tell me after discussion with insurance agents. We all know insurance is a scam for the most part.

Sorry, to clarify, the 33k is the top end for disaster relief for uninsured. FEMA flood insurance tops at 250k but may require complete rebuild for homes in flood zones. Just relaying what the people who lost their homes tell me after discussion with insurance agents. We all know insurance is a scam for the most part.

They don't require a complete rebuild either! They pay for the damage you sustain as a direct result of a flood plain and simple! Being a FEMA Flood Adjuster Im pretty much up to date on this topic!

There is no $33K limit on disaster relief either....Disaster relief isn't "free" money its loans etc that you may or may not qualify for. If they were giving you free money it would kinda prohibit their intent to have you purchase flood insurance in the first place.

Right now people need help....They don't need a lot of people telling them stuff that isn't true.

They don't require a complete rebuild either! They pay for the damage you sustain as a direct result of a flood plain and simple! Being a FEMA Flood Adjuster Im pretty much up to date on this topic!

There is no $33K limit on disaster relief either....Disaster relief isn't "free" money its loans etc that you may or may not qualify for. If they were giving you free money it would kinda prohibit their intent to have you purchase flood insurance in the first place.

Right now people need help....They don't need a lot of people telling them stuff that isn't true.

I work in lending; you would be amazed at how much people gripe when we require flood insurance because their home is in a flood zone.

You need to get to Columbia and advise everyone then. That is what they are broadcasting all over the stations here. I did not grab the 33k number out of thin air. You think I just made it up? That is what my friends have been told. I am serious...please bring your expertise here asap. Right now, most are just trying to follow the rules of a flooded house....get their stuff out, tear out the drywall and insulation and dry the place asap. A homeowner told me point blank that his flood insurance will not cover his losses and that his agent said it is "complicated" and he may have to rebuild to code that he does not currently meet.

I am not sure where you are from, but they need you here because they have bad information. It has been clearly stated on the news as fact. They consider the 33k disaster relief as "aid" not a loan. If it is a loan, it will be very disappointing for those in need of some hope.

As for help, I can promise you they are getting all a community can give. And also, they are not reading this website so my posts mean nothing to them. It means more in regards to recruiting. If I am wrong, I apologize...this is not my specialty...in fact, I am not sure where in my college studies I could have even diverted to become an adjuster but I digress.

I am merely sharing what is going on to those who are nowhere near here but may be concerned or want to to know. There was a great tutorial today on what to expect and what to do immediately given today. Based on what he said about costs of reconstruction and what you are saying, it sounds like a large number of people will be handing property over to the bank or selling it "as is".

Aside from that, I can't wait to see how our state is going to pay for the roads and bridges. We have known for years that they need work, now they are unpassable. I am sure those upstream from dam breaks are going to be sued. It will be interesting to see if our governor does much to help. She did awake from her hangover on Sunday in time to at least make a comment in the afternoon. I guess that is a good sign!

Charleston came out gleaming thanks to insurance money 27 years ago. It will not happen that way here or most other counties that just got ravaged. Bad luck, dumb luck or bad timing....does not really matter.

And on top of that, out football program is a dumpster fire...that does not help.

You need to get to Columbia and advise everyone then. That is what they are broadcasting all over the stations here. I did not grab the 33k number out of thin air. You think I just made it up? That is what my friends have been told. I am serious...please bring your expertise here asap. Right now, most are just trying to follow the rules of a flooded house....get their stuff out, tear out the drywall and insulation and dry the place asap. A homeowner told me point blank that his flood insurance will not cover his losses and that his agent said it is "complicated" and he may have to rebuild to code that he does not currently meet.

I am not sure where you are from, but they need you here because they have bad information. It has been clearly stated on the news as fact. They consider the 33k disaster relief as "aid" not a loan. If it is a loan, it will be very disappointing for those in need of some hope.

As for help, I can promise you they are getting all a community can give. And also, they are not reading this website so my posts mean nothing to them. It means more in regards to recruiting. If I am wrong, I apologize...this is not my specialty...in fact, I am not sure where in my college studies I could have even diverted to become an adjuster but I digress.

I am merely sharing what is going on to those who are nowhere near here but may be concerned or want to to know. There was a great tutorial today on what to expect and what to do immediately given today. Based on what he said about costs of reconstruction and what you are saying, it sounds like a large number of people will be handing property over to the bank or selling it "as is".

Aside from that, I can't wait to see how our state is going to pay for the roads and bridges. We have known for years that they need work, now they are unpassable. I am sure those upstream from dam breaks are going to be sued. It will be interesting to see if our governor does much to help. She did awake from her hangover on Sunday in time to at least make a comment in the afternoon. I guess that is a good sign!

Charleston came out gleaming thanks to insurance money 27 years ago. It will not happen that way here or most other counties that just got ravaged. Bad luck, dumb luck or bad timing....does not really matter.

And on top of that, out football program is a dumpster fire...that does not help.

I work in lending; you would be amazed at how much people gripe when we require flood insurance because their home is in a flood zone.

Most were not in a flood zone. I get it... I pay for it at the beach, but to blame people well above a flood zone defined by whomever is not just. Most people don't have flood insurance because they don't need it. Ultimately, it is a scam, but it would have helped a lot of people across our state. As a flood insurance owner, the last thing I should want economically is for FEMA to pay out a bunch of cash.

Insurance is an industry. They have the right to legally make money. They have some ethical issues however, imho. Pharmaceutical companies are similar. They deserve to make a profit, but how much of one? Also, they can lower the price or increase benefits if they want. But we all know that they don't.

My clothes blew away during Hugo and there was no power plus,trees blocked our road both ways. Was stuck at home a month butt ass naked!

Folks here in Columbia seem obsessed with living on water.

I've worried about but kept my distance from earthen dams for most of my life.

Burned in my memory is the day my father's fish pond dam burst and flooded Liberty Drive.

The flooding in Richland and Lexington Counties has been much more devastating than Hugo in those two counties. It's not even close, in terms of lost homes, destruction of infrastructure, and costs to repair/rebuild in Richland and Lexington Counties.

Reactions: David Dilbeck

The best thing you can do to help is stop spreading false information.....And for your information I am here, all day and all night working on those very claims.....Its been 18 hours a day just like it normally is during any kind of situation like this.....

Most were not in a flood zone. I get it... I pay for it at the beach, but to blame people well above a flood zone defined by whomever is not just. Most people don't have flood insurance because they don't need it. Ultimately, it is a scam, but it would have helped a lot of people across our state. As a flood insurance owner, the last thing I should want economically is for FEMA to pay out a bunch of cash.

Insurance is an industry. They have the right to legally make money. They have some ethical issues however, imho. Pharmaceutical companies are similar. They deserve to make a profit, but how much of one? Also, they can lower the price or increase benefits if they want. But we all know that they don't.

I'm not referring to people NOT in a flood zone, I'm referring to people who buy/refinance a house IN a flood zone that gripe about having to carry flood insurance.

ADVERTISEMENT