ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Key West vacation

WSPCock11

Jul 16, 2010
I'm considering taking the wife to Key West or Key Largo in October for a "baby moon". Does anyone having any recommendations on where to stay near restaurants/attractions? Do hotels there typically offer a shuttle service from the airport and around town?

We are going for the beach and outdoor attractions. We are not interested in partying. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Go Cocks!

Last edited:
I had a house on Summerland Key. MM 25. If you want to eat drink and be merry from a distance, but still have the "keys" experience, I recommend staying out of KW proper. Just basically tourist traps. Got to do mile 0 but it takes a day. Marathon has some things to offer if thats where youre flying to, but not much. Big Pine Key is a dump with the only grocery store but does have a lot of key deer to see. They love the baby carrots. Largo is the upper keys. Not anything like the lower keys after you cross 7 mile bridge. Its more Miami people. Plus its a long way to KW from Largo. But if you want, stay in KW and stay as close to Duvall as you can. That way you can pretty much walk it all. By the way, if you have young ones, dont be shocked by the gay guys walking the street with nothing more than dick socks. Or less at times.

Reactions: WSPCock11
Loved Key largo but it is at a slower pace. In key West stayed at Sheraton very nice ,and a shuttle. Need to make sure bars and things are opened.last I looked 2 weeks ago not much going on. They are cams in Key West you can pull up . Sloppy Joes is a must for a bar night in Key West,and food is good for bar food. I can recommend that trip stayed in Key largo ,and Key West. I would make sure everything is open to get full experience. Have fun

I had a house on Summerland Key. MM 25. If you want to eat drink and be merry from a distance, but still have the "keys" experience, I recommend staying out of KW proper. Just basically tourist traps. Got to do mile 0 but it takes a day. Marathon has some things to offer if thats where youre flying to, but not much. Big Pine Key is a dump with the only grocery store but does have a lot of key deer to see. They love the baby carrots. Largo is the upper keys. Not anything like the lower keys after you cross 7 mile bridge. Its more Miami people. Plus its a long way to KW from Largo. But if you want, stay in KW and stay as close to Duvall as you can. That way you can pretty much walk it all. By the way, if you have young ones, dont be shocked by the gay guys walking the street with nothing more than dick socks. Or less at times.

I really can’t say anything more than this. I think for the tourist pic you have to go to mike zero, but I honestly didn’t care for Key West. You can enjoy the beauty of the keys without getting caught up in the overpriced, over hyped tourist traps....but I do know people that love that.

He’s not lying about the gay dudes. I went with wife but not my kids, but after going I was glad they didn’t come along.

For a very long time while I lived in SE Florida, I went down to the Keys quite a lot.
If you're into fishing and/or diving, then you will enjoy the upper Keys. If you are not into either of those activities there is no much else to do. If you are into diving/snorkeling there are plenty of dive operators to take you to John Pennekamp State Park, or you can use the parks operator. You can also do some canoeing among the mangroves.
Duval Street is a mini Bourbon Street (in KW) and has all the good and bad about it. There are all types of restaurants from basic to upper scale you just need to decide what you are in the mood for. Same goes for hotels, you have the chains, basic and very upscale, depends on your budget. If you want to go all out, the Ocean Key Resort is phenomenal and right next to Mallory Square, but still quiet.
Your best bet is to do some research on your own and decide what best suits your interests and budget. If you decide to stay in Key West there is no need to get a rental, you can go just about anywhere via foot, tram or last resort uber.

I'm considering taking the wife to Key West or Key Largo in October for a "baby moon". Does anyone having any recommendations on where to stay near restaurants/attractions? Do hotels there typically offer a shuttle service from the airport and around town?

We are going for the beach and outdoor attractions. We are not interested in partying. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Go Cocks!

One thing my wife did plan for us was Fort Jefferson and we loved it. It was an old Civil War fort. We flew on a helicopter from Key West. The place is isolated. The water is clear and it’s like being on your own private island for a while. Even if you don’t care for the history, for the flight over the ocean, the time on the fort where you can swim or lay on the beach, etc....I highly recommend it. You’d be hard pressed to skip it if you search fort Jefferson in google images. I’d go back tomorrow if I could.

I spent a day in Key West; we actually spent a week in the keys, camped at Bahia Honda state park. While in Key West I used a public restroom. As I was exiting, a guy was entering, wearing a bra instead of a shirt. That happened after we had just gotten there. Luckily, that was the only freaky thing we saw that day. The only other thing I remember was it was ungodly hot. I think the temp was just in the high eighties but the humidity must've been near 100%. It was nearly unbearable.

If you go to KW the condos in the Truman Annex are great. Everything is in walking distance. Many good restaurants in KW. Blue Heaven Is great for dinner and Senor Bordagas for great tapas experience. Need to make a reservation for both. Bad boy taco is great for lunch. As for activities Mellow Ventures is great and of course a trip to the Grand Tortugas is great. If you feel the itch for the bar district Irish Kevin’s is a blast. Sloppy Joes is good but is still closed right now. Almost forgot the Green Parrot good drink prices, a lot of locals, great people watching. Have fun and enjoy!! KW is one of my favorite places.

Last edited:
One thing my wife did plan for us was Fort Jefferson and we loved it. It was an old Civil War fort. We flew on a helicopter from Key West. The place is isolated. The water is clear and it’s like being on your own private island for a while. Even if you don’t care for the history, for the flight over the ocean, the time on the fort where you can swim or lay on the beach, etc....I highly recommend it. You’d be hard pressed to skip it if you search fort Jefferson in google images. I’d go back tomorrow if I could.

what did the helicopter ride cost ya?

Stayed in marathon for about 12 summers straight. Publix nearby, liquor store that makes the best sammiches ever, 7 mile grill, key west and key largo within 45 miles. I wouldn’t stay anywhere else. This from a person that’s spent over 15-20 summers in the Florida keys. I’m a scuba diver, fisherman and drinker. You can forget beaches.

Stayed in marathon for about 12 summers straight. Publix nearby, liquor store that makes the best sammiches ever, 7 mile grill, key west and key largo within 45 miles. I wouldn’t stay anywhere else. This from a person that’s spent over 15-20 summers in the Florida keys. I’m a scuba diver, fisherman and drinker. You can forget beaches.
I’m with you on Marathon. My friends have a place at Key Colony Beach, and it’s the perfect location. Not too far away from Key West, but just far enough away. And there’s so much to enjoy about the Keys that is not in Key West, and Marathon has most of the good things and none of the bad things.

Reactions: king ward
If you want a relaxing vacation go to Hawk’s Cay on Duck Key (Near Marathon). If you want action go to Key West.

i was there 2 weeks ago for the start of lobster season. It was absolutely dead. None of the big bars were open. Masks are required even while walking down the street. Not a great time to go down there IMO.

I have stayed at every Hilton Property on the Island and the Reach is the best, Double tree second, Casa Marina third. My favorite hangouts are Laggerheads (tiny beach bar) & the Tower Bar at happy hour (good seafood & ribs). I liked Hogs Breath more when I was younger but it is touristy but not as bad as margaritaville. The beaches are not like others beaches you maybe used to due to the large reef that protects key west but the water is clear like the bahamas. My favorite thing is the fishing. We have caught Cobia, Mahi, Grouper, Grey Tile, Rose Fish, yellow tail snapper, some I can't recall.

My last two trips with other family members the Air BNB's have proven to be a better experience than the Hilton Properties.

Used to go to Key West when it was a little more wide open. Its gotten a little too civilized for me. We always stayed in guest houses. Our favorite is the Heron House. It is easy walking distance to the tourist area. Don't go there for the beaches. You will be disappointed. It is a mangrove island and there are no natural sand beaches. But, the history, night life, restaurants, water sports and atmosphere are wonderful. Oh, and don't try to drink with the band.

I have been going every year for the last 20 years. I will be there again the last week of Oct as usual this year. If you are going for the beaches you are going to the wrong place. KW is a Coral island. The sand that makes up the beaches was brought in from the Bahamas. As soon as you are in the water you are on sea grass and coral. KW is a party town. That said there are plenty of attractions. Sunset sails. Trip to the Dry Tortuga's. The water plane trip is fantastic albeit expensive. Fishing charters, jet skis, the Conch Train.
If you are not partiers there is no need to stay downtown. It's cheaper to stay out near Smathers Beach. Finding parking downtown is a challenge.

Best tip I can give is drive there. The drive down the Keys is like no other.

Also you can download The Keys Channel on Roku or FireTV. It gives a great overview of the island.

I will be at The Banyon Tree Resort.

Pines and Palms resort, Islamorada. A lower central keys stay with a decidedly Keys vibe. Good restaurants all around and access to all the mid to lower keys quickly. Spend one day at Key West and end it at Mallory Square for the street entertainment. See the Hemingway House and treasure museum. Otherwise, feed the Tarpon at Robbie's marina Islamorada. Go to Big Pine just to see the Key Deer. Enjoy the water!

Been to the Keys many times. TBH, Key West is basically a tourist trap. But if you go, try avoiding hotels. Island City House was a great B&B to stay at, and pretty close to the action.

But best trips we had staying in KW we rented a condo in Truman Annex. Condo came with two bikes, had a full kitchen, outdoor grill, everything you needed. We literally parked the car for a week and moved it once. We’d ride to Fausto’s Market every morning, pick up fresh seafood, veggies, and killer Cuban bread, instead of hitting tourist trap restaurants for most of our meals. Did have killer meals over the years at Blue Heaven, El Siboney, and Pepe’s. There’s little convenience store next to the Courthouse that used to make killer Cuban sandwiches. Hogfish Grill has always been good for us. BO’s Fishwagon And Garbo Grill were spotty, very good at times, less than average other times. Most restaurants in KW tended to be overrated in our opinion, which is why we tended to just cook fresh stuff ourselves.

Last couple times down we’ve stayed at a townhouse on Marathon, right on the water. Great views, great central location to do a lot if you plan on flying in and renting a car. If you do that, go to Robbies on Islamorada, feed the tarpon. You can drive to Bahia Honda Park. You can do a 4 hour headboat trip for about $40 apiece, let them clean your fish and have a great meal. Couple really great restaurants around Marathon, ranging from fairly expensive to a hole in the wall Cuban place where no one speaks English.

I 100% agree. I spoke about that in my earlier reply.

Nonsense. All time high temperature in KW is 97. It gets humid, sure. But if you live in SC then KW shouldn't be a big deal to anyone here. I have going for over 20 years during Oct. It's very comfortable. I have even been several times in the summer. I went jogging about every day in the morning. Most of the places I like to hang out at are not even air conditioned. Green Parrot, Hogs Breath, Schooner Wharf, Smoking Tuna, Bull and Whistle and Captian Tony's. And even in the summer they were never too hot for me. I have lived in three different areas in Florida. Gainesville in the summer is the worst place I've been. But there is no place in Florida that has anything on Columbia.
I've live in Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, and Tampa. All get hotter than KW

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT