ADVERTISEMENT

OT: lab puppies

Nope.

i only get animals from the shelter. Have a wonderful lab mix for 7 years now from the shelter.
virtsign.JPG

Last edited:
Go a little further south to the low country and visit Greenbriar Plantation. They are breeders of yellow and black English Labs, which are stockier with distinctive block heads and otter tails. They have been raising labs for well over 30 years. Excellent dogs. We have purchased two very healthy yellow English Labs and couldn't be happier.

https://greenbriarplantation.com/

Why buy one when there are tons of great ones at the shelter?
Once you see them being put down in the numbers they get put down. You tend to look at it differently.

some folks want registered dogs.. also some want dogs with hunting backgrounds, field trial backgrounds,, stuff like that.. i raise beagles and i’m not getting a dog without papers and a pedigree that i see potential in..

some folks want registered dogs.. also some want dogs with hunting backgrounds, field trial backgrounds,, stuff like that.. i raise beagles and i’m not getting a dog without papers and a pedigree that i see potential in..
You can train most mixed breeds for hunting. My grandfather did it for years. Also most of those "papers" dogs end up in shelters and put out when the new wears off. I have seen tons of pure breds come through just to get put down 14 days later. But yeah keep on inbreeding them for recessive traits that will ultimately give them health issues.

Why buy one when there are tons of great ones at the shelter?
Once you see them being put down in the numbers they get put down. You tend to look at it differently.

Ugh...maybe because he wants a certain type of dog? Eyeroll Certain color, size and build, shed or no shed, temperament, expenses for food and shelter. If he wanted a shelter dog I assume he would go there.

Reactions: Zann77 and Kuga1414
They'll also eat ANYTHING. I have a friend whose dog ate its own bed. The entire thing. Mine threw up a Campbell's tomato soup label. I don't know where it came from. She chewed every toy I gave her to pieces in minutes. She started chewing up landscaping timbers around the property. Even so, she was the sweetest dog I've ever had.

Reactions: SCexpat38
They'll also eat ANYTHING. I have a friend whose dog ate its own bed. The entire thing. Mine threw up a Campbell's tomato soup label. I don't know where it came from. She chewed every toy I gave her to pieces in minutes. She started chewing up landscaping timbers around the property. Even so, she was the sweetest dog I've ever had.

The one in the picture is the same way. He got in my closet and ate all my shoes, came in the den and chewed up all his toys and my reading glasses. He also loves to fly over the foot stool and land on the sofa.

Reactions: TheReelEss
I agree. I raise beagles too. Have you ever read "Breeding Better Beagles" by John Parks? It is very informative. It is BS to say you can get good hunting dogs from the pound or shelter. Usually that is why they are in the shelter in the first place. But, breeding is not an exact science. In a good breeding program you are simply increasing the odds of producing quality traits. When you breed top quality dogs possessing the traits you want, you are increasing the odds that a majority of the litter will be quality dogs possessing those traits. That doesn't mean that there may be one or two that don't measure up. Conversely, a litter of pups produced by poor quality dogs does not mean that there won't be diamond in the rough, but the odds are significantly against it. The majority of the litter is likely to be poor quality.

All pure breeds were originally produced through inbreeding and line-breeding. So it is a fallacy to say inbreed dogs will have lots of problems. Most quality breeders use line-breeding and inbreeding as part of their breeding program, but they will also occasionally cross breed with unrelated animals with similar traits as you don't want to be too heavy into continual inbreeding as it can ultimately cause some genetic problems down the line.

Also, there is a huge difference in breeders. It is important to deal with a quality breeder who has a reputation for advancing the breed. Some are in it just to produce lots of pups to sell. If the parents are registered the pups can be registered as well. That doesn't mean they are good dogs.

You can train most mixed breeds for hunting. My grandfather did it for years. Also most of those "papers" dogs end up in shelters and put out when the new wears off. I have seen tons of pure breds come through just to get put down 14 days later. But yeah keep on inbreeding them for recessive traits that will ultimately give them health issues.

you cant field trual in AKC unless they are papered dogs..
Furthermore most of your papered good bred hounds aren’t taught anything other than obedience,,, they are programmed thru their dna..

this is not a pissin contest,, just there is a need for some folks to have papered dogs..

Reactions: Zann77
I agree. I raise beagles too. Have you ever read "Breeding Better Beagles" by John Parks? It is very informative. It is BS to say you can get good hunting dogs from the pound or shelter. Usually that is why they are in the shelter in the first place. But, breeding is not an exact science. In a good breeding program you are simply increasing the odds of producing quality traits. When you breed top quality dogs possessing the traits you want, you are increasing the odds that a majority of the litter will be quality dogs possessing those traits. That doesn't mean that there may be one or two that don't measure up. Conversely, a litter of pups produced by poor quality dogs does not mean that there won't be diamond in the rough, but the odds are significantly against it. The majority of the litter is likely to be poor quality.

All pure breeds were originally produced through inbreeding and line-breeding. So it is a fallacy to say inbreed dogs will have lots of problems. Most quality breeders use line-breeding and inbreeding as part of their breeding program, but they will also occasionally cross breed with unrelated animals with similar traits as you don't want to be too heavy into continual inbreeding as it can ultimately cause some genetic problems down the line.

Also, there is a huge difference in breeders. It is important to deal with a quality breeder who has a reputation for advancing the breed. Some are in it just to produce lots of pups to sell. If the parents are registered the pups can be registered as well. That doesn't mean they are good dogs.

i am super selective for my breeding... i’m breeding to improve the bloodlines,, not to make a buck(there really much money in breeding)..
What bloodlines do you breed? I mainly breed blueticks,, oakhill,, blue jasper,, stuff like that

We have a 9 year old black lab that we brought home after her owner passed away. She’s hard headed and pouty, digs all over the yard and in our flower beds. Drives my wife crazy,lol. But she’s a sweetheart. She’s happy as long as she’s being petted. She’s not much into retrieving anymore, but a very good dog overall. Our German Shepard does all the fetching and retrieving now.

Reactions: TheReelEss
We have a 9 year old black lab that we brought home after her owner passed away. She’s hard headed and pouty, digs all over the yard and in our flower beds. Drives my wife crazy,lol. But she’s a sweetheart. She’s happy as long as she’s being petted. She’s not much into retrieving anymore, but a very good dog overall. Our German Shepard does all the fetching and retrieving now.
Now, I have probably the best dog I've ever had. She's half maltese-half yorkie. She's very smart. Not the kind of smart where she does what we say. The kind of smart where she knows a lot of words and is very intuitive. She senses a lot of things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear_Rooster
Now, I have probably the best dog I've ever had. She's half maltese-half yorkie. She's very smart. Not the kind of smart where she does what we say. The kind of smart where she knows a lot of words and is very intuitive. She senses a lot of things.
Our Shepard is extremely smart. We got him from the bro/sis in law. He’s very intuitive to both of us. And very protective of his yard. I feed him most days by hand. Our 5 year old grandson can hand feed him.

I've had 2 Labs in my life. They were the best. I have a Beagle and Yorkie Terrier now, good dogs. But, it's not the same. Regardless, they all are/were good. As was said in the movie, "A Dog's Journey": the ULTIMATE purpose of dogs is to love people
I think I've watched that movie 10 times during this quarantine. I also love Pit Bulls and Parolees. Dogs, especially my sweet, funny, diva dog, are about the only things that comfort me these days.

Reactions: SCexpat38
i am super selective for my breeding... i’m breeding to improve the bloodlines,, not to make a buck(there really much money in breeding)..
What bloodlines do you breed? I mainly breed blueticks,, oakhill,, blue jasper,, stuff like that
I don't breed anymore. I just buy dogs from a few select breeders. When I did though, my best dogs came from the Smith's Buzz Saw/Diamond blood line. I had some good ones straight from Saluda River Rebel. I even had some Yellowcreeks at one time, but I didn't like them as much. I now have exclusive black and tans and tri colors.

I don't breed anymore. I just buy dogs from a few select breeders. When I did though, my best dogs came from the Smith's Buzz Saw/Diamond blood line. I had some good ones straight from Saluda River Rebel. I even had some Yellowcreeks at one time, but I didn't like them as much. I now have exclusive black and tans and tri colors.

i started with stuff out if cranks chicken and i also have some bullocks creek stuff,,,, but the faster, looser stuff is more desirable these days... But its more of a hobby, there is no money in the breeding these days...

i started with stuff out if cranks chicken and i also have some bullocks creek stuff,,,, but the faster, looser stuff is more desirable these days... But its more of a hobby, there is no money in the breeding these days...
I agree. That's one reason I got out of it. It actually cost me money when you have to feed, vaccinate, and worm all the puppies. I also was a sucker for kids. All anybody had to do was bring a kid over to look at puppies and I would practically give them away. The other thing was I kept them too long, because I wanted to get them started and let the buyer see them run first. I never wanted anyone to say I sold them a culled puppy. They knew what exactly what they were getting when they left my kennel.

I still like the medium speed line control dogs. Basically, the SPO Pack type of hound. I want them to run non stop and pack tightly together and not waste a lot of time in the check area. We've had chases that lasted 2 hours or more, non stop. That's real music to the ears there.

yes and VERY, VERY proud of it. Every time I visit my shelter and see all the wonderful dogs without a home, it ticks me off.

so very proud To do it. Thank you.
You probably should be ticked off at the people who let their dogs wind up in the shelters. I doubt most of them came from people who paid a breeder.

Reactions: Zann77
I agree. That's one reason I got out of it. It actually cost me money when you have to feed, vaccinate, and worm all the puppies. I also was a sucker for kids. All anybody had to do was bring a kid over to look at puppies and I would practically give them away. The other thing was I kept them too long, because I wanted to get them started and let the buyer see them run first. I never wanted anyone to say I sold them a culled puppy. They knew what exactly what they were getting when they left my kennel.

I still like the medium speed line control dogs. Basically, the SPO Pack type of hound. I want them to run non stop and pack tightly together and not waste a lot of time in the check area. We've had chases that lasted 2 hours or more, non stop. That's real music to the ears there.

i have both,, spo and run to catch.. i enjoy both,, but when i go hunting out in Oklahoma,, the fast dogs really can shine.. most places i hunt around here slow dogs are whatcha need,, as the faster dogs i have will get frustrated and jump from rabbit to rabbit until they find one they can wind,,,, but those dogs are still very young thou..

The blue dogs will being a solid 400 bucks each for a pup,, but yeah if you feed them good, vaccines,, and you time all add up.. But its a labor of love,, and giving one away per litter is a good way to get kids into the sport,, when we need a future generation to carry it on..

Reactions: JGH 35
you cant field trual in AKC unless they are papered dogs..
Furthermore most of your papered good bred hounds aren’t taught anything other than obedience,,, they are programmed thru their dna..

this is not a pissin contest,, just there is a need for some folks to have papered dogs..
No there isnt. It is all vanity

You probably should be ticked off at the people who let their dogs wind up in the shelters. I doubt most of them came from people who paid a breeder.
Yes. Like the purebred larger breeds that are still under a year old, but have outgrown the cute puppy stage and suddenly the owner is "no longer able to care for them". :mad:

There is a husky/golden retriever mix at Homeward Bound that I want SO bad, but he can't be with cats. And since Skitters was there first, I have to do right by her.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT