ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Miss SC sues USC

Suing for refund of tuition due to virtual classes being inferior to in-person classes. Wants to make it a class-action suit.

https://www.postandcourier.com/heal...cle_241357be-9b03-11ea-893d-9307626025f0.html

I can’t read the entire article but not a fan of this at all. I could understand this in the Fall or beyond with more time to prepare, but what we just went through was difficult for everyone. So many circumstances that impacted classes. Online is interesting because some students thrive and some don’t. Professors had to take that into consideration when preparing lessons. Not very considerate on her part for her professors and everyone impacted. This would cost people jobs. I’m sure she showed more compassion in her pageant answers.

She waited until she got her grades and graduated, then sued. They should withdrawal her from all the classes, give a full refund and let her finish somewhere else. What a brat.

Plus, USC has an accrediting body that determines what's 'equal.' As long her classes meet Quality Assurance standards, they are viewed as the same and why she currently has a diploma.

Total BS lawsuit. The school did what it had to do to keep the students safe while continuing the semester. She's also burning a lot of bridges & that might very well bite her in the butt down the road.

She doesn't want to pay for anything after campus closed so in essence she wants free online instruction & credit for the entire semester while paying for only a partial semester. Really dumb move on her part imo

Last edited:
I don't see this going anywhere. Any judge will see that these are clearly once-in-a-lifetime circumstances and USC, like every single other school in the nation, did their best to transition to virtual learning at the drop of a hat. These were act of God circumstances out of the University's control.

I don't see this going anywhere. Any judge will see that these are clearly once-in-a-lifetime circumstances and USC, like every single other school in the nation, did their best to transition to virtual learning at the drop of a hat. These were act of God circumstances out of the University's control.

I’d love to see her social media platforms during this ordeal. I bet it’s full of encouragement to love, help, and encourage with another during unprecedented times.

I’m guessing she probably deleted those accounts before going forward with this.

I'd bet everything I own this won't be the last lawsuit she files. She's starting early & if I were a potential employer I would touch her with a ten foot pole. I'd be thinking, if she's filing a lawsuit over this nonsense then sure as hell she'll run into something along the way & decide to sue me too. It almost seems inevitable. Just a terrible move both ethically & financially

Suing for refund of tuition due to virtual classes being inferior to in-person classes. Wants to make it a class-action suit.

https://www.postandcourier.com/heal...cle_241357be-9b03-11ea-893d-9307626025f0.html

I can't read the article, but I don't agree with this. The whole situation was dynamic in nature, and no state government really knew how to respond. Even the federal government struggled out of the gate. I am currently a graduate student in Texas, and granted, the online classes weren't as effective, but the institutions did what they felt was best. I can see the argument (maybe) if we were still doing online classes next spring, but she is upset because they went online for two months before she graduated? It strikes me as a publicity stunt honestly. My institution is waiving some fees, and really going out of its way to help students. I suspect USC is doing the same.

I can't stand the "sue culture" we have in this country. What did she want the school to do? The whole state was shut down (the whole country for that matter). I think some empathy would serve her well.

She waited until she got her grades and graduated, then sued.

Classic, but no surprise. All of the class-action parasites are scrambling for their monetary angle amidst the chaos....and will be kicking back pennies on the dollar if they stumble upon a winner.

WIth that said, the modern caste system is built around the university diploma. Advanced education should be available online to everyone, regardless of their economic status.

Reactions: okccock
This is why the Senate Republicans are insisting on liability protection in the next Coronavirus bill from those who would seek to file lawsuits based on Covid-19 circumstances. Unscrupulos attorneys would have a field day without these protections.....

Reactions: ClemDent
Watch, she’ll get something out of this and within 5 years she’ll pursue a degree online somewhere.

Reactions: okccock
The university already implemented refunds for meal plans and housing. The in-state tuition for a year is about $13,000 or $6,500 a semester. She’s was on LIFE scholarship and competitive dance scholarship.

Further, You’d have to Pro-rate the tuition for the portion of the semester that was all virtual. On top of that, you’d have to somehow put a dollar amount on the supposed inferior quality of the virtual learning.

All that considered, we can’t be talking about all that much money. At the absolute most it would be something less than $6,500 for the less than 1 semester that was online. But you factor in the above and it would be even less.

I can’t imagine it’s really worth it?

I don't blame her for the lawsuit and why not??

When other students who do not get a free ride, have to pay for theses stupid ass fees...

Fees like events for sports, tech, library and other fees... Those fees add up every semester...

a pageant girl looking for attention? never heard of such thing.

if she is a pageant winner, wouldn’t she likely have a lot of scholarship $$$ that she had won? would she pay this back if she won the suit or pad her pockets?

if she were suing for R&B (unlikely she lived in campus as a senior) and activities fees (fairly negligible amount) some proration of classes toward an online rate, maybe, but the FITS article cites that she is seeking “additional damages”. I’m sorry part of the second semester of your senior year was disrupted, believe me, but life has been disrupted EVERYWHERE. this is bs and this girl is a serious narcissist (shocking as a pageant girl, right?) and I am disgusted by this the more I read into it. never to thee to this one.

As much as it pains me to say, I'd have to side with UofSC on this one. State colleges are not exactly taking in money right now. We all need to suck it up. My oldest is at UNC taking stuff on-line. It is what it is; no need to make things worse.

I'd bet everything I own this won't be the last lawsuit she files. She's starting early & if I were a potential employer I would touch her with a ten foot pole. I'd be thinking, if she's filing a lawsuit over this nonsense then sure as hell she'll run into something along the way & decide to sue me too. It almost seems inevitable. Just a terrible move both ethically & financially
This type of "stunt" is what will ultimately close the doors of "regular" college and force everyone on/into online classes....heck, kids Google everything now anyway. Why run the risk of sending your young adult into this nightmare of Covid 20 or Covid 21 that mutates. I think enrollment is already down 15% or more.

That is our future. Totally entitled little brats. This should be bad for her future employment but companies will be lining up to offer her a job.

Reactions: JDishnell
If you read her Miss SC bio, she wants to be a lawyer, maybe she is representing herself and getting some experience :)

This young lady won $50,000 in scholarship money from winning Miss SC. She has already started a job in Charleston. She might wish for a career in the legal field...but I would not be the one suing my own school for something it had NO CONTROL over. She got the college experience for Jan., Feb., and part of March. Did she want to remain on campus...when everyone was saying it was unsafe? We had a USCA nursing student die of the virus. I bet Joshua’s family wishes he was in her shoes...healthy, starting a new job, no student loans, ALIVE!

I hope she has to testify and is asked...would you like a TOTAL refund and your spring semester credits dropped...and be able to have the FULL COLLEGE experience for the 2020 fall semester? Wonder how her employee would like that! That should be a choice for everyone in this class action suit...a total refund...but NO credits. Or accept your credits and move on with life!

This young lady won $50,000 in scholarship money from winning Miss SC. She has already started a job in Charleston. She might wish for a career in the legal field...but I would not be the one suing my own school for something it had NO CONTROL over. She got the college experience for Jan., Feb., and part of March. Did she want to remain on campus...when everyone was saying it was unsafe? We had a USCA nursing student die of the virus. I bet Joshua’s family wishes he was in her shoes...healthy, starting a new job, no student loans, ALIVE!

I hope she has to testify and is asked...would you like a TOTAL refund and your spring semester credits dropped...and be able to have the FULL COLLEGE experience for the 2020 fall semester? Wonder how her employee would like that! That should be a choice for everyone in this class action suit...a total refund...but NO credits. Or accept your credits and move on with life!
So basically the Summary Judgment argument could be that since she was on scholarship, she didn't actually pay for anything, and thereby isn't owed any refund. Yeah...I don't see this one getting very far.

I could see a prorated refund(credit) for the fees for labs/library/athletics to be added to the meals/housing/parking refunds(credits) that are already being issued. But not one bit of tuition should be refunded.

So basically the Summary Judgment argument could be that since she was on scholarship, she didn't actually pay for anything, and thereby isn't owed any refund. Yeah...I don't see this one getting very far.

I could see a prorated refund(credit) for the fees for labs/library/athletics to be added to the meals/housing/parking refunds(credits) that are already being issued. But not one bit of tuition should be refunded.

How much could she really be looking at? The tuition/fees portion is about $13,000/yr. So for one semester that's $6,500. Pro-rate that for the % of the semester that was online only and you chip probably 1/3 of that off. And it shouldn't be a TOTAL refund b/c, even if she thinks it was inferior, she was still getting instruction. Maybe $3,000? And that's being generous.

It's bad enough the brat is bringing this lawsuit, but it was made a class-action lawsuit to do maximum damage to the University.

Reactions: Visor Cock

Since this is a class action suit...’I guess’ the argument would be that not all were on scholarship...so scholarships should not be taken in consideration in the suit.

Since this is a class action suit...’I guess’ the argument would be that not all were on scholarship...so scholarships should not be taken in consideration in the suit.
They could move for SJ on the ones on scholarship. You can't get a refund for something you didn't actually pay for. Any "refund" would go back to the scholarship organization, if they choose to be included in the suit.

Here's the thing that is also being overlooked. This "refund" would only apply to graduating Seniors. Returning students are getting a credit on their Fall bill for what was refunded for Spring.

Likely an ill-advised, publicity stunt on her part, and a hail-mary class action stab by another cheesy PI attorney using her notoriety as bait.

If the CA aspect were to actually gather any steam (unlikely), it would quietly operate like a multi-level marketing scheme, with the ones at the top (Bunch/Firm) receiving the lion's share...everyone downstream - peanuts.

Likely an ill-advised, publicity stunt on her part, and a hail-mary class action stab by another cheesy PI attorney using her notoriety as bait.

If the CA aspect were to actually gather any steam (unlikely), it would quietly operate like a multi-level marketing scheme, with the ones at the top (Bunch/Firm) receiving the lion's share...everyone downstream - peanuts.
The attorney is in Mt. Pleasant. Evidently someone just getting out of law school. I am thinking both of them are looking for attention! If I were Miss Bunch...I would not want to burn my bridges with my own University.

Reactions: Wiles2
That is so bad I can't watch it. I remember when that happened. She's hot though. I'd love to hear her unrehearsed true answer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT