ADVERTISEMENT

OT My latest nightmare was us losing to Kentucky in football

vacock#

Oct 26, 1998
A terrible defensive game. We have to be better this year. Sorry to bring this up. Please tell me we will be better. Please.

How long you been around? I can recall tying Curci was huge! Would think a Vandy loss would be a nightmare.

To make matters worse....when i got back to my auto....we had our Gamecock lights ripped off of the tent and a sign stolen......not to mention the long ride home.

I can address the Curci thing.

Kentucky actually went 10-1 one year in the 70s. Didn't go to a bowl due to probation. The following year they opened with us in Columbia and we played to a tie. It was actually thought of as a real accomplishment for us. (Yes, I kid you not youngsters.) In fact, I recall Tommy Suggs say "a tie is like kissing your sister, but it our case our sister is Farrah Fawcett!". Kentucky went on to suck that year and Fran Curci was their coach.

You do realize that nightmare already happened.....last fall! I'm ready to move on from last year. We aren't trying to implement a 3-4 package that confuses our players this year, Ward is not even running the defense any more, we have players like Qua Lewis on the DL this year, and I can guarantee you that Jon Hoke will not allow UK to run the wildcat non-stop on us. Defense may not be as good as during 2011-2012, but I definitely see us being very competitive this year.

The QB and OL situation are the big question marks for me, and that is just because of the unknowns at those positions. If I were a betting man, I'd say we will be just as good at QB but the pass protection will be worse. I think we establish the run game a little more this year since our defense will not be forcing us into shootouts with the opponent. Offense drops off a little, defense makes big improvements.

Even though the defense was terrible, Spurrier blew that game. Up 7 on 3rd and 3, and he passes the ball, even though we have been running the ball at will. Averaged 6 yards per carry. After Kentucky gets the ball back and ties it up 38-38, he comes out with 2 passes, the second that end up in a pick 6 to lose the game. Terrible game management at the end of the game by the offense, especially when you know you can't trust the defense to hold.

Even though the defense was terrible, Spurrier blew that game. Up 7 on 3rd and 3, and he passes the ball, even though we have been running the ball at will. Averaged 6 yards per carry. After Kentucky gets the ball back and ties it up 38-38, he comes out with 2 passes, the second that end up in a pick 6 to lose the game. Terrible game management at the end of the game by the offense, especially when you know you can't trust the defense to hold.

We truly gave that one away. Was Spurrier calling the plays that night?

ADVERTISEMENT