ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Myrtle Beach - January 1963 photo

Thigh Man

Jan 14, 2014
US 17-Business (Kings Highway) heading north around 64th Avenue North in Myrtle Beach
20818856_1983398545264885_5011624643817546183_o-700x559.jpg

Way before it became the eye sore of South Carolina.

Right, back when the Airbase was there. You must be pretty young and missed much growth there. I guess it depends on what kind of beach you prefer.

Right, back when the Airbase was there. You must be pretty young and missed much growth there. I guess it depends on what kind of beach you prefer.

It is a dump. Sorry. Many beach communities have made it a point to not become myrtle beach.

Around the time this photo would have been taken, my grandfather would have been selling his produce to the Ocean Forest Hotel. My parents used to call it the "million dollar hotel." I'm not sure where it sat; it was torn down in the early 70s. It was the first MB highrise.

Reactions: adversary2
Anybody got a photo of that same stretch now?

I haven't been to Myrtle Beach since about 1975.

Thanks for posting. I went up last August to see Steel Panther. The hotel we stayed in had 4 different wings. It took us 45 minutes, with our arms full, to find our room!
About the time this was taken, my dad and his band ,The Travelers,played at the old Pavilion.

Anybody got a photo of that same stretch now?

I haven't been to Myrtle Beach since about 1975.

You'll have to click on this, but...
This is basically the same spot. I drive it quite a bit. As you can see still a lot of trees. Kind of a bunch regular businesses. No hotels. This is about twenty blocks south of the hospital
https://ibb.co/NVxfQYp

Ya know, you are probably right. But isn't it pretty much the same anymore, from Pawley's Island to Little River ... Hwy/Traffic/Restaurant/shopping wise? Thought you might enjoy the snapshot.
I do. I usually take the back roads or the blvd so I haven't seen that intersection in probably months. lol.

Haven't been up there since the early 90s maybe. I guess it's still a rite of passage for high school kids?

The way I see it, if you don’t like Myrtle Beach you don’t like America, because it’s as real of a reflection of the country at large as any beach I’ve ever been to. Not to say I don’t like the nicer beaches myself, but I’m not going to slam MB for what it is, which is a beach that serves a hell of a lot of people, poor, rich, and in between.

US 17-Business (Kings Highway) heading north around 64th Avenue North in Myrtle Beach
20818856_1983398545264885_5011624643817546183_o-700x559.jpg
I’m amazed that was already 3 lanes. Pretty good foresight with that, but I’ve always wondered why there wasn’t a limited access highway parallel to the beach somewhere. Hwy 31 is not ideal.

Reactions: TarCock29
And, way before it was infested with Ohioans.
I have lived here 12 years. I actually run into very few from Ohio. Mostly the ones I meet are on vacation, not living here. MB is most heavily populated with, Jersey, New York, Massachusetts and Pittsburgh transplants.

I dont understand why MB gets such a bad rep from South Carolinians. Sure it has its issues and high tourist destination, but I enjoy a trip once a year.
For us, it's gotten too crowded with all the high rises. I prefer the beaches farther south that are like the NMB I grew up going to. Houses behind the dunes, no one blocking your view of the water once you set up, no terribly long waits when you go out to dinner.

I went to the Dirty Myrtle back in early July for a long weekend. Stayed at one of the resorts in the north central part of the beach. We enjoyed it. Had a good time. Brought back alot of cool memories. I saw no trouble at all although there were fights and shots fired on the South end of the strip.

Reactions: TarCock29
For us, it's gotten too crowded with all the high rises. I prefer the beaches farther south that are like the NMB I grew up going to. Houses behind the dunes, no one blocking your view of the water once you set up, no terribly long waits when you go out to dinner.
I haven't been to Myrtle Beach in the last 2 decades!! Dont miss it at all! Hell, get me to the beaches on either side of the Charleston harbor and I am good to go!!

Around the time this photo would have been taken, my grandfather would have been selling his produce to the Ocean Forest Hotel. My parents used to call it the "million dollar hotel." I'm not sure where it sat; it was torn down in the early 70s. It was the first MB highrise.
I remember it, but I didn't see it but three or four times. We stayed in Surfside and rarely went up that way.

I enjoyed early 1970's Myrtle Beach. It was just before traffic got ridiculous, still had a family oriented atmosphere, no was getting shot in the street, young kids could walk for blocks unsupervised, you could fire fireworks at people on piers, and tons more. Today it is okay, because of increased amenities, but the thrill is gone. The increased traffic, both cars and human, the rigid laws passed because of outsider abuse. Constant threat to children and young females being abducted. The former charm is outweighed by constant negative events. I'm usually passing through the area and not actually staying there unless required to for work or continuing ed.

Reactions: Gaimcock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT