ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Myrtle Beach - January 1963 photo

I grew up in NMB and moved to Columbia in 1982 - The beach may have issues but nothing is worse than Columbia and the surrounding area. Richland County (ESPECIALLY COLA.!!) is the cesspool of the state.
WADR, by all means are you free to reside back over to North Myrtle, or elsewhere for that matter. Personally I really dig and miss Richland County (Especially Cola.!!, and Lexington & Kershaw Counties as-well) and I reside in Mecklenberg County, right here in Charlotte.

And here's a list of the best counties within the state of South Carolina - I sure don't see "Ho-Ree" County - but hey, no biggy and no insult meant! Rather, I'm (like you did) just sayin'! =;^ฯ

Way before it became the eye sore of South Carolina.
The eye sore of SC is in Pickens County. Myrtle Beach and the Grand Strand are awesome. I vacation in Windy Hill every summer and love it. I can't imagine how anyone could say it's an eye sore. The Grand Strand is beautiful and offers everything one could possibly want in a beach vacation.

Reactions: South Cack
I had to keep a very low profile there due to my underage drinking.:)

Shoot! We would have served you! LOL . We had Old Milwaukee on tap. That was it. One type of draft beer. People would order a Bud and we would say “Pour one Bud. Next a Miller, “ Pour one Miller. Not one person ever questioned what they were drinking.

It's actually a nice break from burgers, pizza, taco's and fried chicken!!

And, what's wrong with Merican Food??? You some kinda Bolshevik? Sorry Buddy, we don't serve Borscht or fried Lychees here.
fat-young-woman-smilingly-offers-burger-against-us-flag-picture-id148123744

Reactions: Gaimcock
Hello Sir! How are ya?!?? Hope all is well. Any new info on your end? I've been assisting in regards to permitting for several site alterations in regards to their newer "branding concepts" w/ Wendy's, McD's, Bojangle's, Domino's and even a somewhat newer one that seems to be taking off big-time here in central NC, it's called "Biscuitville", and if it continues to progress, everyone here will see it popping up! It's actually pretty good - a nice break from burgers, pizza, taco's and fried chicken!!

Any word as to how things are progressing in regards to the merger you and I discussed? Just curious!

Gaim
Not a lot Gaim, but will let you know. Sometimes these projects have the gestation periods of baby elephants! My regards, Brother.

Shoot! We would have served you! LOL . We had Old Milwaukee on tap. That was it. One type of draft beer. People would order a Bud and we would say “Pour one Bud. Next a Miller, “ Pour one Miller. Not one person ever questioned what they were drinking.

I was warned I’d be kicked out, so I had friends buy beer for me. Not a problem.

Maybe YOU were the one who threatened me. :):)

Did you like the Miller or the Bud?

I used to work on a Budweiser Beer truck in my old days, so I would have asked for a Bud. But I wouldn’t know the difference.

In fact, I remember hauling in 25 cases of Budweiser to the old Pavilion one summer Saturday. Big day for the driver.

Around the time this photo would have been taken, my grandfather would have been selling his produce to the Ocean Forest Hotel. My parents used to call it the "million dollar hotel." I'm not sure where it sat; it was torn down in the early 70s. It was the first MB highrise.
It was down a little beyond 52nd north. My grandfather loved to go there. I remember some high school friends working there during the summers in the mid 1960s.

I used to work on a Budweiser Beer truck in my old days, so I would have asked for a Bud. But I wouldn’t know the difference.

In fact, I remember hauling in 25 cases of Budweiser to the old Pavilion one summer Saturday. Big day for the driver.

Must have been after my time. They band cans and bottles . We served draft beer in paper cups. Too many fights.

Reactions: Golden Cock
The delivery of 25 cases of Bud was to the original pavilion. Think I was in 6th or 7th grade.

My times in the new Pavilion start around ‘59 or ‘60 when I was in the 9th or 10th grade. When I s 15 and 16.

And I remember I used cups because my friends would fill my cup up, because the bartenders would not serve me beer cause I wasn’t 18.

Last edited:
Speaking of the beach can anybody help me find a place to stay for a few days the week of the 24th - 31st (August). I know some of you rich folk have houses and condos, lol. My wifes bday is the 27th and looking for a little getaway.

The delivery of 25 cases of Bud was to the original pavilion. Think I was in 6th or 7th grade.

My times in the new Pavilion start around ‘59 or ‘60 when I was in the 9th or 10th grade. When I s 15 and 16.

And I remember I used cups because my friends would fill my cup up, because the bartenders would not serve me beer cause I wasn’t 18.

Yes, then it was before my time. It was probably then they decided against the hard containers. We used to sit in the rafters of the old pavilion and watch them shag. I was in the 7th or 8th grade. That one burned I think and they built the one on the north causeway. That was where I worked for 3 years when I was at USC.

Last edited:
My family has been in Myrtle Beach for centuries. My grandmother told me of when Hurricane Hazel hit in the 50s it busted open a bank near King St and everybody was running around collecting money...and my dad tells me stories of cruising the boulevard in the 80s with a makeshift hot tub in the back of his El Camino. My grandmother said Myrtle really blew up after Hugo, went super commercial with reconstruction. I still enjoy going to North Myrtle or Pawleys, but I generally avoid Myrtle and Surfside.

If you want a beautiful beach, Come down to Beaufort and go to Hunting Island, beautiful untouched beach.

You and I are close to the same age. My friends and I would to North Myrtle(then called Ocean Drive). Those were my partying days, and we went to the Pad and Beach Party. I can 't remember the name of the other.I grew up close to the beach,and was very disappointed to see them tear down the pavilion at Myrtle Beach.

Reactions: king ward
You and I are close to the same age. My friends and I would to North Myrtle(then called Ocean Drive). Those were my partying days, and we went to the Pad and Beach Party. I can 't remember the name of the other.I grew up close to the beach,and was very disappointed to see them tear down the pavilion at Myrtle Beach.
When the pavilion and the amusement park went away, they (Chapin or Burroughs-Chapin, I believe it was) changed the character of the beach and have not replaced it with anything of equal or greater appeal. Until and unless they or some other entity does, it will have to go down as a great blunder.

Reactions: pisgah
I stayed at North beach Plantation with my family a few times for Monday after the Masters. It was fine. My grandparents had a condo for years just south of there...had a lazy river...I enjoyed it. My other grandparent actually grew up in Myrtle Beach and attended Myrtle Beach high. For years we have headed north on 17 to the various entertainment districts in MB and always enjoyed it.

I am headed down to MB to meet some relatives from niagara falls area who I actually found on ancestry.com. Apparently my more immediate family moved down to MB in the 40's and 50's. I found old trophies from my great grandfather who won a few tournaments at The Dunes Club. Its been fun tracing our history.

My other grandmother was from georgetown. We love our stays in Litchfield and boating there from Wacca Wache. My dad always points out when we head north from south litchfield that 17 is horrible now compared to the 80s, but he also loves that he has more than one choice to dine out in the offseason.

Sometimes things change, for good or bad. They usually correct themselves in some way. My opinion is that if you don't like something, stay away or do something to fix it. Otherwise, stfu. nobody likes a whiner....I mean nobody. The constant "my city is better than yours" crap is old on here. No need to cut down your neighbor in an attempt to make you look better, unless its is clemson.

Reactions: gamecockfan04

Yep. I’m 75. Often frequented the Pad. Good place. Also hung around club next to MB Pavilion

My wife and I own a timeshare with Marriott and our home property is Ocean Watch Villa at Grande Dunes. We spend time there every summer and have booked 10 days for next summer already. I am older these days, having grown up on the beaches around Charleston. Once we arrive and park the car, we are just happy to be there, often inviting friends to come spend a few days with us. I have been to many beaches in the US, to include Hawaii, as well Puerto Rico, Aruba, Mexico, the Bahamas and France. I actually enjoy my time in Myrtle Beach. Perhaps two are three times a week we go out and eat, usually one night at the New York Prime, and perhaps Collectors Café or Aspen Grill. Most of the time we make use of the excellent outdoor grills that are on the property, so I am happy to have a beer or two in that process. I was recently in SoBe, Folly Beach and will be in Hilton Head later this year and feel as many do, the SC beaches are the best. We travel for a living these days and go to great places around the world, but I must say that after several weeks in Europe in July, I was glad to get back to SC. No matter what you think, we have some great places right here in SC. I am at one as I type this.

Last edited:
And, what's wrong with Merican Food??? You some kinda Bolshevik? Sorry Buddy, we don't serve Borscht or fried Lychees here.
fat-young-woman-smilingly-offers-burger-against-us-flag-picture-id148123744
Dude that's just it!! I LIVE OFF OF AMERICAN FAST FOOD AND, I gotta admit it, I am addicted to Mickey D's French Fries!! I mean I struggle not to get AT LEAST 1 large order AT LEAST EVERYDAY!!

=;^ฯ

Reactions: Thigh Man
I have been vacationing at NMB, 17th Ave S, since I was a baby. I'm well informed as to what it was like, and my grandparents had a place in Cherry Grove too. It was very much a neighborhood beach in the 70s and 80s before they started tearing down all the ocean front houses, and small, no higher than 3 stories, condo buildings, to throw up the 17 floor high rises ocean front and 1st row. My friends and I walked to the arcade (where Molly Darcy's is now) daily to play hours upon hours of skee ball. We also walked up to the little put-put course next to the arcade/skating rink at 17th and Haven Drive. We'd walk to get ice cream at the little stand that was where the Condo Lux office is now. Now I get nervous letting my son walk from our chairs to the steps to our place. I watched them build the high rise next to our condo complex in the early 90s, along with many others along the ocean front from the old NMB pier (Hugo took it in 1989) all the way up to and past the Cherry Grove pier.

MB still had a quaintness about it in the 70s, 80s and very early 90s that it has lost. The old Pavillion, the old amusement park, walking and shopping in the stores on the Boulevard, the Bowery. It's lost that thanks to the over-crowding. It's just not enjoyable during season now.

Yes, our actual beaches are wonderful in SC. Too bad it's gotten to the point that you can't even enjoy a day at the northern SC beaches anymore because you're tripping over people with every step.

My family has been in Myrtle Beach for centuries. My grandmother told me of when Hurricane Hazel hit in the 50s it busted open a bank near King St and everybody was running around collecting money...and my dad tells me stories of cruising the boulevard in the 80s with a makeshift hot tub in the back of his El Camino. My grandmother said Myrtle really blew up after Hugo, went super commercial with reconstruction. I still enjoy going to North Myrtle or Pawleys, but I generally avoid Myrtle and Surfside.

If you want a beautiful beach, Come down to Beaufort and go to Hunting Island, beautiful untouched beach.

I was in the fifth grade when Hazel hit. I didnt even know it was coming until I got up and my sister told me it was outside and school was closed.

They made us go to school a half day on a Saturday to make up for day off.

After Hazel left we rode all over Pawleys and Retreat Beach. Amazed at the horrible damage. Never forget it.

I was in the fifth grade when Hazel hit. I didnt even know it was coming until I got up and my sister told me it was outside and school was closed.

After Hazel left we rode all over Pawleys and Retreat Beach. Amazed at the horrible damage. Never forget it.
Amazed to see a mention of Retreat Beach. Lest we forget.

Reactions: Golden Cock
Wonder what year they built the Ocean Forest Hotel. It was about 15 stories wasn’t it? I didn’t see one of those on Pawleys or Folly , heck, even HH. Yes, MB has grown and changed just like Anywhere USA. It has grown into what the local people wanted, an Atlantic City type of beach. I don’t see any Skeeball ally’s or putt putt courses or Bowerys on Litchfield or Edisto etc. You were enjoying the carnival, big beach atmosphere and I guess didn’t realize it. I grew up in Atlanta then moved to Greenville. Can you believe Greenville population today is the same as Atlanta in the 70’s? Think about that. American has changed a bunch. Did you expect a city beach not to change?

Myrtle Beach was a “ City “ beach from WWII on. Hurricane Hazel almost blew it away, and you were there to watch it rebuild during the 70’s and 80’s. MB had as many tall buildings as Columbia, Charleston and Greenville, in the 50’s. It’s a city beach and you don’t like it. I understand.

MB is a Beach City. Columbia is the seat of government. Charleston is a port city and Greenville a manufacturing city. We have a quiet beach when we want one and a city beach to chose too.
My mother once worked as a switchboard operator at the Ocean Forest. That would have been in the 1940s, I believe. She took a cut in pay to become a schoolteacher.

When the pavilion and the amusement park went away, they (Chapin or Burroughs-Chapin, I believe it was) changed the character of the beach and have not replaced it with anything of equal or greater appeal. Until and unless they or some other entity does, it will have to go down as a great blunder.
The Pavilion was a great attraction but it was a loser on B&C's bottom line. You couldnt make money on a piece of property that was only useful for maybe 4 months out of the year. I worked for B&C and understood that, even though I grew up in Myrtle Beach. I hated when the closed the park but I understood why.

Wow that’s incredible. Thank goodness for the advancements in weather forecasting.

My wife and I own a timeshare with Marriott and our home property is Ocean Watch Villa at Grande Dunes. We spend time their every summer and have booked 10 days for next summer already. I am older these days, having grown up on the beaches around Charleston. Once we arrive and park the car, we are just happy to be there, often inviting friends to come spend a few days with us. I have been to many beaches in the US, to include Hawaii, as well Puerto Rico, Aruba, Mexico, the Bahamas and France. I actually enjoy my time in Myrtle Beach. Perhaps two are three times a week we go out and eat, usually one night at the New York Prime, and perhaps Collectors Café or Aspen Grill. Most of the time we make use of the excellent outdoor grills that are on the property, so I am happy to have a beer or two in that process. I was recently in SoBe, Folly Beach and will be in Hilton Head later this year and feel as many do, the SC beaches are the best. We travel for a living these days and go to great places around the world, but I must say that after several weeks in Europe in July, I was glad to get back to SC. No matter what you think, we have some great places right here in SC. I am at one as I type this.

You are why I do not go there.

The Pavilion was a great attraction but it was a loser on B&C's bottom line. You couldnt make money on a piece of property that was only useful for maybe 4 months out of the year. I worked for B&C and understood that, even though I grew up in Myrtle Beach. I hated when the closed the park but I understood why.

Look MB is a POS. We all know that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT