ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Myrtle Beach - January 1963 photo

Wow that’s incredible. Thank goodness for the advancements in weather forecasting.

I usually knew when hurricanes were coning. Don’t understand how Hazel sneaked by me. But we didn’t have TV till the following December, so news was not as thorough then.

Last edited:
The Pavilion was a great attraction but it was a loser on B&C's bottom line. You couldnt make money on a piece of property that was only useful for maybe 4 months out of the year. I worked for B&C and understood that, even though I grew up in Myrtle Beach. I hated when the closed the park but I understood why.
I don't expect anybody to lose money, but the city leaders should have done some benchmarking to find a way to fill that void with something more "beachy" than an open field traversed by a zip line.

Too bad it's gotten to the point that you can't even enjoy a day at the northern SC beaches anymore because you're tripping over people with every step.

@USCBatgirl21: you are just on the wrong end of the beach...

Cherry Grove @57th ave. Memorial Day Weekend...
6XZk4Tr.jpg

a3MEJFw.jpg

Reactions: gamecockfan04
The Pavilion was a great attraction but it was a loser on B&C's bottom line. You couldnt make money on a piece of property that was only useful for maybe 4 months out of the year. I worked for B&C and understood that, even though I grew up in Myrtle Beach. I hated when the closed the park but I understood why.

So, how much money is that empty lot making them now??

I am addicted to Mickey D's French Fries!! I mean I struggle not to get AT LEAST 1 large order AT LEAST EVERYDAY!/QUOTE]

Kinda like Krispy Kreme's ... If the Red Light is on, you gotta buy 2 Dozen. The Dozen you came for and a dozen for the ride home.

Reactions: Gaimcock
When the pavilion and the amusement park went away, they (Chapin or Burroughs-Chapin, I believe it was) changed the character of the beach and have not replaced it with anything of equal or greater appeal. Until and unless they or some other entity does, it will have to go down as a great blunder.

I never visited the old pavilion, but where it was is now some beach volleyball courts. My daughter plays a few tourneys a year out there. I like it in that little section. The boardwalk is neat with some good restaurants and bars. We live in Conway, and we usually head to garden city or cherry groove to get away from the crowds. I grew up in Lexington/Gilbert, moved to the upstate for college and stayed there for about 12 years, and just moved the family down this way last year. By far my favorite place in SC so far!

I never visited the old pavilion, but where it was is now some beach volleyball courts. My daughter plays a few tourneys a year out there. I like it in that little section. The boardwalk is neat with some good restaurants and bars. We live in Conway, and we usually head to garden city or cherry groove to get away from the crowds. I grew up in Lexington/Gilbert, moved to the upstate for college and stayed there for about 12 years, and just moved the family down this way last year. By far my favorite place in SC so far!
I'm glad your daughter and others have derived some value from what is there. But what we're talking about here is Paris without the Eiffel Tower or the Louvre, New York without the Empire State Building, or Charleston without the Battery.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I worked at MB during the summer of 1960. I ran a putt-putt golf course (1st shift) across from the pavilion and sold foot-long hot dogs at the pavilion from 4 to 11 (2nd shift). Worked myself to death for $1 an hour. Could not wait to get back to Carolina in September.

I have lived here 12 years. I actually run into very few from Ohio. Mostly the ones I meet are on vacation, not living here. MB is most heavily populated with, Jersey, New York, Massachusetts and Pittsburgh transplants.
My daughter went to school in New York and we flew out of Myrtle Beach a lot. There are 5 direct flights to New York every day.5. Every. Day.

I don't expect anybody to lose money, but the city leaders should have done some benchmarking to find a way to fill that void with something more "beachy" than an open field traversed by a zip line.
Well the city doesnt own it so thats out, unless you are in to forced government.

Well the city doesnt own it so thats out, unless you are in to forced government.
The city can work with the owners to recruit entrepreneurs willing to lease property long-term or purchase property for business ventures, especially since the current owners don't seem to have anything to offer. It's no different than when a government entity works to bring a new enterprise into a plant that has closed. They don't own the plant, either.

Wow, King, I'm just surprised you let some fast talking sales person talk you into a timeshare.
No, Sir. As I discussed on another thread awhile back, my parents purchased this one back around 1979 - before anyone recognized the inadvisability of buying them.

I've always preferred Daytona Beach but the last time I was at MB was a couple of years ago. And I honestly think MB has surpassed Daytona Beach in many ways. Some of the hotels and condos in Daytona Beach have been damaged by hurricanes and never been repaired. Plus, I think MB has better seafood restaurants than DB, jmo.

I've always preferred Daytona Beach but the last time I was at MB was a couple of years ago. And I honestly think MB has surpassed Daytona Beach in many ways. Some of the hotels and condos in Daytona Beach have been damaged by hurricanes and never been repaired. Plus, I think MB has better seafood restaurants than DB, jmo.
Hmm... If only "Ho-Ree" county could get a larger NASCAR Track than the one in Daytona - or better yet, just move the track in Darlington to Myrtle Beach!!! =;^ฯ

The way I see it, if you don’t like Myrtle Beach you don’t like America, because it’s as real of a reflection of the country at large as any beach I’ve ever been to. Not to say I don’t like the nicer beaches myself, but I’m not going to slam MB for what it is, which is a beach that serves a hell of a lot of people, poor, rich, and in between.

I love America but can do without Myrtle Beach.

The city can work with the owners to recruit entrepreneurs willing to lease property long-term or purchase property for business ventures, especially since the current owners don't seem to have anything to offer. It's no different than when a government entity works to bring a new enterprise into a plant that has closed. They don't own the plant, either.
Pretty sure B&C has people on staff that can take care of their own business.

Pretty sure B&C has people on staff that can take care of their own business.
That's not even the issue. The issue is: interested parties working together to restore the heart of one of the top beach resorts on the East Coast in a way that's in line with what made it popular to begin with.

Last edited:
That's not even the issue. The issue is: interested parties working together to restore the heart of one of the top beach resorts on the East Coast in a way that's in line with what made it popular to begin with.
Its still one of the top beach resorts on the East Coast without the pavilion. I think something like Broadway at the Beach would be great there with a few additions including amusements.

Its still one of the top beach resorts on the East Coast without the pavilion. I think something like Broadway at the Beach would be great there with a few additions including amusements.
I agree. You'll notice I said "the heart of"... Whatever they do needs to be beach-appropriate.

Reminds me of the days before I-95. Always heard that area was the exact half way point between NYC and Miami.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT