ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Need Help From You BBQ Cooks

Most SC hash is pork shoulder, Chuck roast and liver boiled for a long time. Grind all the meat and slowly add broth to your desired consistency.

Add cider vinegar, mustard, ketchup, sugar, salt and black pepper

Best part of making your own hash, no garbage meat.

Reactions: jroller
Every SC Hash varies on the preference of the cook. It is a hard thing to define. Traditions vary greatly around the state.
Here's one I found that replicates the hash recipe my family used in our old grocery store. Fairly simple, but it takes time.... as all good hash should.

CrockPot Hash

4 to 4.5 lb. Boston butt roast
1.5 to 2 lb. boneless beef chuck roast
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and diced
2 medium onions, peeled and diced

Seasonings: (use only as a guide...feel free to adjust to your preferences)
5 Tbl apple cider vinegar
2 Tbl spicy brown mustard
1 Tbl red pepper flakes
2 tsp cayenne pepper
4 Tbl tomato paste
1 stick butter
2 Tbl worcestershire sauce
salt and cracked black pepper to taste

Step 1: In a 7 quart crock pot on high. Rub both roasts with salt and cracked pepper, then place in the crock pot. Add the diced potatoes and onions, and then fill the pot with hot water or stock (I use chicken stock) and cover. Let it cook 6 to 7 hours until the meat falls apart. Keep check on the water level

Step 2: Remove the meat from the pot and pull apart to let cool. Next remove the bone, fat, and connective tissue. Pull the meat apart in small pieces and then give it a light chop. Break up the potatoes and onions in the pot with a potato masher. Return the meat to the pot. Still on high, let it cook another 4 hours. Add the butter and reduce heat to the lowest setting. Let it cook another 6 hours or until it is the consistency you like.

Step 3: Gradually add your seasonings during the last 4 hours, and taste as you go.

Step 4: Place over your choice of white rice, or white bread.

This looks like good recipe to try, similar to how I do it.

That's because hash was oringally made from all the hog scraps. NOTHING was wasted. Also the reason I don't order hash in a restaurant unless I know what they put in it. Just my preference, no organs, lips, butt holes.

That's because hash was oringally made from all the hog scraps. NOTHING was wasted. Also the reason I don't order hash in a restaurant unless I know what they put in it. Just my preference, no organs, lips, butt holes.
Lol. I don’t want to know what Dukes puts in their hash. I just know I live in Laurens and there is no hash in the upstate as good as Dukes

I am looking for a hash recipe such as the ones served at Earl Dukes or Sweatmans BBQ. I always load up when I get back to South Carolina, but would like to learn to make my own. The one I prefer is the ones from Duke's or Antley's in Orangeburg but I would appreciate anything anyone could help me with. So come on you great SC BBQ cooks and help out a Gamecock that lives too far away. Thanks to all that can help.

Some good information here. Only advice I would add is how you cut up the meat. Don't put it in a blender, it'll be gritty. Some people run it through a meat grinder after it's cooked, some cut in big chucks which gives you more of a stringy hash. Personally, a pull try and pull the cooked meat out in big chunks and cut AGAINST the grain, in about 1/4 slices. It'll fall apart nicely.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for sharing, haven't seen this.

Thank you. I started off thinking I'd make a simple download of the recipes I had published on the site and one thing led to another and next thing you know I'm hundreds of hours in and pushing 150 pages.

Already doing research and gathering more recipes for the second edition, which will also come in a print version, once I figure the best way of handling that. I am the yearbook adviser at Fort Dorchester and have made over 20 yearbooks, so that part wasn't too hard -- though I am going to have to reformat everything for the next one -- it is the self-publishing part I am going to have to look more into.

Going to reach out to every SCBBQ restaurant in the state and invite them to submit a favorite recipe so they can be featured in the book, but would really like to include more old family recipes as well.

So if anyone has a recipe they'd like to include in the next book, please email me the recipe and the story behind it (jim@destination-bbq.com). I find most recipes taste even better when you know the story behind it.

Shooting for publication this time next year. Will do most of the work over the summer when done with school.

(Long term, thinking I may start an SCBBQ magazine or similar when I retire in two more years. We'll see.)

Since this thread is still going, I figured I'd provide this link to a hash recipe in the style they serve at Sconyers in Augusta, GA (the kind I like). It involves 4 lbs of meat so should make a decent sized batch (scale up as needed). https://bbq-book.com/bbq-hash/

I saw this one earlier today, actually. I don't recommend the immersion blender. We used one on our last batch and didn't care for the texture. Pureed it too much.

I'll chop my smoked pork against the grain getting it as fine as possible. The texture still won't be quite right until it's cooked on simmer for at least 6 hours adding more liquid when necessary. IMO at the end of the day you want a hash that's nearly a solid (kinda like a can of corn beef hash) that will secrete enough juice to turn the top half of your bed of rice to a rustic/orange color. I think of the rice as a gauge. None colored and the hash is too dry. All colored and it's too wet. Half colored and it's just right.
Now if I could just get my rice less lumpy, I'd be in good shape. Lol

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT